Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:09:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How to turn a robot into a female (no bewbs)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: How to turn a robot into a female (no bewbs)  (Read 9324 times)
Rishav
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:29:48 PM »

Why, hello thar, gentlepeeps.

so i decided to leave my detailed model for the time being and instead go for the simplest model i could make. this should be quite manageable for learning UV, texturing, skinning etc.
I have made two robots, one male and the other female. I will be going for something similar to Wall-E. the male robot is an obsolete blocky model, grimy and scratchy. the female model is a new and advanced one.  The female gets kidnapped by evil unicornbots and the male one goes to save her.
The very interesting problem is how do you define a robot as a male or female?
If I had lots of plygon i would have gone for slimmer curvier model as a female with clean cuts and an overall elegant ambience. But how do I do this with such low details. Its like making a character for the 8 bit era. you just don't have enough pixels to clearly define a character but you have to come up with visual cues which are very appealing and are immediately identifiable.
you have very few polygons and you have to get an unmistakable feminine look. Give me ideas folks. Especially people who work with pixelart a lot. This should be right up your alley.

Personally I am thinking of adding in a red bow by her "ear" and put in a bit of pink texture. Any suggestions?

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:16:50 PM »

Boobs.

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:18:53 PM »

put a pink bow on her head.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »

I'd put some pink in her texture. Also, state in the story that it is a female.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »

a little metallic "skirt"?

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »

Posture! Although that could be hard without hips Huh?

What about shoes with high heels?
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 02:34:19 PM »

I don't think you need to use colors or clothes to show gender. How about making her body shaped more like an hourglass? I also think it might be a good idea to make the male robot read more like a male as well. Square reads as neuter (or child) to me. Men have broad shoulders, so making his body taper a bit might help.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »

As previously mentioned, give her an hourglass figure, so her waist is thinner than her shoulders and hips.  It doesn't have to be super smooth so don't waste a bunch of edge loops, just hint at it.  Also larger, rounder eyes.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »

A serial number that uses more 0s than 1s.
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »

Do they need to have genders at all?

I mean, they're robots. You could just go with "it".

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »

make that torsos trapazoidal and have the male robot be top heavy and the female robot be bottom heavy.  Hand Point Left Tiger

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 09:05:59 PM »

make that torsos trapazoidal and have the male robot be top heavy and the female robot be bottom heavy.  Hand Point Left Tiger

Male - Shoulders wider than hips
Female - The other way around

Hand Point Left Undecided Hand Thumbs Up Right
Rishav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »

I actually don't want to the shoulder/hips way as it is more indicative of a mature fully formed sensual figure. I intend it to be more like a kiddy-cartoonish figure. I just looked at eva in Wall-E again and realized that maybe I can taper her torso towards the bottom a bit. Maybe that will help.  Shrug
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 10:19:22 PM »

it's not really sensual at all so much as just the way women differ from men. You could try tapering at the knees/elbows/ankle/wrist?

Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »

I actually don't want to the shoulder/hips way as it is more indicative of a mature fully formed sensual figure. I intend it to be more like a kiddy-cartoonish figure. I just looked at eva in Wall-E again and realized that maybe I can taper her torso towards the bottom a bit. Maybe that will help.  Shrug

Well, EVE never looked female to me when I just saw renders of her, to be honest. What made her female was the way she moved around, and her voice.

If you want to keep the kid-like figure, I'd say add a metal skirt or a bow or maybe some metalic pony tails, like many others have suggested. Something like this:

[EDIT] And make her hands and feet a bit smaller. Those don't really read as feminine to me.
Rishav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 01:41:49 AM »

the bow was indeed my first choice too. like in the bugs bunny cartoons the female bunny had long eyelashes and a bow.
That and some pink and white texture. I was just wondering if there were some more things I could do.

Anyway, I will be making some changes to the model when I go home. Thanks a lot folks. You have been a great help. I will post the textured versions soon.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »

There is always this too:

:D

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »

There is always this too:

:D
Hand Metal LeftKiss
     Hand Shake Right

I AM FREE!
Rishav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »

Shoo!!! don't ruin the supposed innocence  of my robots.   Mock Anger

btw, I have given the girl robot a bow and a bit of a waist. and n ow its naming time. I am leaning towards Q-Bit(Cube-it, get it??!! HAR HAR) for the male and Lua (<3 lua) for the female one. any other ideas?

@piet. Good idea on hands and feet. made them a bit smaller. not too much though because her frame is looking too small now.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 11:25:31 AM »

I like Q-Bit. It sounds like a sort of production name given to this line of bots, but still has the feeling of a name to it. Nice Smiley

I like Lua as well. Maybe make it stand for something like WALL-E and EVE did?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic