Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:45:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Tendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens  (Read 50816 times)
cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2021, 11:17:49 AM »

Thanks! We want to give the players option to create custom maps. Therefore, we are trying to make the editor easy to use while giving the players rich options. 

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2021, 11:09:33 PM »

That's cool, I didn't catch that it would be for the players to use too! Making maps for games I love is what got me (and many others here I assume) started with gamedev. It is a nice thought that you might provide similar experiences to others trough your editor for Tendril.

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2021, 08:02:26 AM »

We have tuned up jumping, so the player has better control while in the air. We decreased maximum horizontal speed while in the air and reduced the gravity during the ascending phase.
As a result, Dragon is in the air longer while keeping roughly the same jump distance.

Old:

New:

We have also added variable jump height, so we will be able to put more precise platforming into Tendril: Echo Received.

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »

And just for comparison. On the left is the same jumping from the first page of our TIG dev log. On the right is where we are now. Quite a difference, won't you say? It looks and feels much more organic now.

Often, instead of working on our tasks, we find ourselves just jumping around in our test maps Cheesy

(OLD) =======> (NEW)

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2021, 01:29:20 PM »

The new jump indeed looks great! Btw., I think the little change in the hue of the belly color also works wonders.

MetalVent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2021, 12:30:36 AM »

Oh i always was fascinated about idea of playing as monster in "alien" terms. This thread looks great-will be following the progress.
Tendril is a nice name. The crawling animation is cute!
bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2021, 06:44:49 AM »

I really love the artstyle and color choices thusfar. Looks like with some pretty good level design you've got yourself an interesting little stealth game!

Will definitely follow your progress!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:56:33 AM by bram_dingelstad » Logged

If you'd like to see something of my work check out:
The devlogs of the game I'm working on - My website/blog - My itch.io
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2021, 07:11:19 AM »

So we finally have a death animation :D Our Dragon is a demon, so we have a demonic-looking one.

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2021, 06:36:25 AM »

Today we would like to show you how we implemented gore in Tendril: Echo Received.

Each blood splatter consists of three sprites – left, middle and right. This way, we can generate more unique variations. It also prevents gore from passing through walls by simply not rendering the left/right part if it would result in an overlap.

We are rendering blood splatters in three passes to give them an illusion of covering background objects without flattening them.
First, we are rendering the splatters with a dark color behind background objects.

Then we are rendering the background objects.

In the last pass, we are rendering the blood splatters with a light red color. We are using transparency in this pass to prevent the flattening of the background objects.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2021, 03:39:38 AM »

That was a cool breakdown! After seeing this I feel like I need to up my blood splatter game a bit.

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2021, 07:08:11 PM »

Yeah those splatters are great!  Evil

Game looks amazing!
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2021, 01:58:19 AM »

You totally nailed the death animation.

The main point is to give player satisfaction through the outcomes of his actions in the game and you totally got this aspect covered.
It is polished stuff like this that makes a game shine between the rest.

Gentleman

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2021, 01:14:56 AM »

That was a cool breakdown! After seeing this I feel like I need to up my blood splatter game a bit.

The more blood the merrier Cheesy

Yeah those splatters are great!  Evil

Game looks amazing!

Thanks!

You totally nailed the death animation.

The main point is to give player satisfaction through the outcomes of his actions in the game and you totally got this aspect covered.
It is polished stuff like this that makes a game shine between the rest.

Gentleman

Thanks! Very well said. That is exactly our intention with all animations especially with this kill animation. We want them to give satisfying feedback to the player. The more important / difficult the action is, the more satisfaction the player should feel.

By the way, we have a new video with more gameplay elements and, of course, with a lot of blood  Evil

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:20:35 AM by irn » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2021, 02:29:03 AM »

Will there be a "squib intensity" slider in the settings, so you can decrease or increase the splatter factor?
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2021, 02:35:58 AM »

Just saw the video now.
Indeed you have many mechanics(I like the diversity, that shield-type enemy is a nice addition)
How did you plan your tutorial/ learning curve for the player?

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2021, 10:30:31 PM »

Will there be a "squib intensity" slider in the settings, so you can decrease or increase the splatter factor?

Although it would be cool to have a slider "normal -> Doom -> Tarantino" Cheesy ,but we will only allow the player to turn it on/off.

Just saw the video now.
Indeed you have many mechanics(I like the diversity, that shield-type enemy is a nice addition)
How did you plan your tutorial/ learning curve for the player?

Thanks!
We want to present the mechanics one by one in specific situations. We want the player to learn by experiencing those situations. For example there is a room where there is no direct path from A to B, so the player has to go onto the ceiling. But of course, we might have to include texts as well to better describe those situations. We will see I guess.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2021, 10:06:06 PM »

I like it.
Will such gore animations affect your game rating?
Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »

Long time since you updated here, I hope your project is still going forward and you are ok.
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2021, 09:11:29 AM »

Long time since you updated here, I hope your project is still going forward and you are ok.

Hey! Thanks, yes, everything is going well. Sorry for not answering your previous question. We have been super busy working on our first demo (so excited about that!) - it is taking 100% of our brain power Smiley.

About the game rating you asked - we have always wanted our stealth to be bloody - just like The Alien movies. We don't want to be too explicit or too macabre though. There is like a line we don't want to cross. Plus we have always liked this Tarantino-type of gore and just wanted to have this in our game.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2021, 06:54:07 AM »

Glad to hear about the demo

May I ask what is your marketing strategy for the demo release? Is it public or private for investors and hardcore fans?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic