Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1388615 Posts in 66620 Topics- by 59294 Members - Latest Member: JohnJohn765

March 02, 2021, 02:20:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Tendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens  (Read 15010 times)
cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2021, 11:17:49 AM »

Thanks! We want to give the players option to create custom maps. Therefore, we are trying to make the editor easy to use while giving the players rich options. 

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2021, 11:09:33 PM »

That's cool, I didn't catch that it would be for the players to use too! Making maps for games I love is what got me (and many others here I assume) started with gamedev. It is a nice thought that you might provide similar experiences to others trough your editor for Tendril.

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2021, 08:02:26 AM »

We have tuned up jumping, so the player has better control while in the air. We decreased maximum horizontal speed while in the air and reduced the gravity during the ascending phase.
As a result, Dragon is in the air longer while keeping roughly the same jump distance.

Old:

New:

We have also added variable jump height, so we will be able to put more precise platforming into Tendril: Echo Received.

irn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »

And just for comparison. On the left is the same jumping from the first page of our TIG dev log. On the right is where we are now. Quite a difference, won't you say? It looks and feels much more organic now.

Often, instead of working on our tasks, we find ourselves just jumping around in our test maps Cheesy

(OLD) =======> (NEW)

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2021, 01:29:20 PM »

The new jump indeed looks great! Btw., I think the little change in the hue of the belly color also works wonders.

MetalVent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2021, 12:30:36 AM »

Oh i always was fascinated about idea of playing as monster in "alien" terms. This thread looks great-will be following the progress.
Tendril is a nice name. The crawling animation is cute!
bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2021, 06:44:49 AM »

I really love the artstyle and color choices thusfar. Looks like with some pretty good level design you've got yourself an interesting little stealth game!

Will definitely follow your progress!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:56:33 AM by bram_dingelstad » Logged

If you'd like to see something of my work check out:
The devlogs of the game I'm working on - My website/blog - My itch.io
irn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2021, 07:11:19 AM »

So we finally have a death animation :D Our Dragon is a demon, so we have a demonic-looking one.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic