Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:33:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Tendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens  (Read 50779 times)
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2022, 10:09:44 AM »

Nice, great screenshot and I'm looking forward to the video!

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2022, 02:40:17 PM »

Nice, great screenshot and I'm looking forward to the video!

Thanks  Hand Shake Left Smiley Hand Shake Right

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2022, 09:46:43 AM »

This is how the bloody journey begins.

We are so excited that we finished the very first stage. It utilizes so many different triggers, camera movements, and effects. We wanted it to have a cool atmosphere, but we also did not want the player to wait too much before getting control.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2022, 12:42:22 PM »

Oh yea, very polished scenary
cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2022, 05:04:42 AM »

Oh yea, very polished scenary

Thanks. IRN spent a lot of effort on creating the design for this stage. Although it is relatively short, we wanted to give it a strong atmosphere. That required many unique assets, elaborate lighting, and other special effects. E.g., each light has its reason - they are pointing to points of interest and hugely changing the energy of scenes.
IRN is planning to write a post where he will point out all the ideas behind the design more thoroughly - I can't wait Smiley

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2022, 11:30:35 PM »

This is how the bloody journey begins.

We are so excited that we finished the very first stage. It utilizes so many different triggers, camera movements, and effects. We wanted it to have a cool atmosphere, but we also did not want the player to wait too much before getting control.

So great, I love that intro. The backstory is giving me a Hellboy vibe, which I did not expect for Tendril!

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2022, 11:42:31 AM »

So great, I love that intro. The backstory is giving me a Hellboy vibe, which I did not expect for Tendril!

Thank you! Yea, this time, Alien is a full-fledged otherworldly bloodthirsty unmerciful demon Cheesy

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2022, 10:48:19 PM »

Nice. Good to see news of the project and the intro is great. Wonder if a new demo is planned or something like that?

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2022, 11:47:59 PM »

Nice. Good to see news of the project and the intro is great. Wonder if a new demo is planned or something like that?

Thanks! We have added tons of features since the last demo and we are now reworking how NPC gun projectiles work. We would like to make a demo as soon as possible to gain some feedback. We are also reworking switches/levers that open doors and activate devices. With all those graphics changes we did, they started to look out of place a bit.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2022, 10:19:35 AM »

This scene is so freaking polished!
I saw it on youtube a few days ago but didn't have the time to post here.
I love and appreciate all the small details you put in this it is all so alien based, that ground fog is so hot and omg the animated flare from the wall at 1:53 looks so damn good.

You guys did an amazing job!  Gentleman

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2022, 12:48:54 PM »

This scene is so freaking polished!
I saw it on youtube a few days ago but didn't have the time to post here.
I love and appreciate all the small details you put in this it is all so alien based, that ground fog is so hot and omg the animated flare from the wall at 1:53 looks so damn good.

You guys did an amazing job!  Gentleman

Thank you for your kind words!

Yea, we spent a lot of time thinking about each light and each corner Smiley We are quite happy with how it turned out in the end, but we will tweak some timings and text later as we go...

We used our new particle system for that flare. It is composed of three systems - one for the base light, one for sparks and one for the smoke. A wasn't a big fan of particle systems before, but I must say, that I am really happy with how Cepnox implemented them. They are easy to edit yet they are strong in terms of what cool effects we can achieve.

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2022, 01:19:28 PM »

I spent a day reworking our switches. They were bugging me for a long time. Now they are much clearer and have overall better feel.

There were several points I wanted to achieve with each switch.

First the player should be able to say which type of switch deactivates which device. So the white wheel opens white ventilation shafts. The military notebook with the anthena belongs to military turrets and the power switch belongs to lasers. The wheel and the power switch should also feel more like they are part of the complex infrastructure. All the military stuff, on the other hand, was brought later by security forces, so it should pop out a bit.

Animations were supposed to be punchy, especially at the beginning. The player should feel the impact of their actions. So there is always a strong action at the beginning of each animation. It is then followed by one or more actions, each of which should also have a bit of punch, but not that strong. It is similar to reload animations in FPS games - they are just satisfying to watch Smiley I for example like to stretch some elements in the first frame and color them in pure white to achieve this.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2022, 03:39:27 AM »

I love all this attention to detail, this is a very constructive dev blog entry.

How far are you in development at this moment?

Riv_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2022, 03:44:01 AM »

Just found this thread, this is such an awesome game, love the visuals and how controlling the character feels

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2022, 06:17:04 AM »

I love all this attention to detail, this is a very constructive dev blog entry.

How far are you in development at this moment?

Thank you!
Development is going pretty well. It is hard to say exactly how far we are, but we have the most of gameplay mechanics in place. We are currently working on ability system and we are adding more enemy NPCs. Then we will need to generate stages, graphics, polish stuff, finish the story etc. We still have much ahead of us, but the most important decisions have already been made, so that's optimistic Smiley

Just found this thread, this is such an awesome game, love the visuals and how controlling the character feels

Cool, that's awesome, thanks! I cannot count how many times we reworked and polished the character control. We knew that it had to be snappy and responsive. It had to be fun just moving and jumping in an empty room, then the player should want to be challenged to test how they can control the character on enemies.

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2022, 06:20:42 AM »

Today we would like to show you changes that we made to enemy projectiles.

Previously all projectiles had infinite speed, so they were just ray casts. It had a big impact on recovery from a failed stealth attempt. Although we have multiple delays implemented (before moving to alert state; before taking the first shot; etc.), when the firing started, the recovery was too much relying on output randomness, as you can see here:

Therefore we moved away from infinite fast projectiles and instead changed them in a way that you can see them flying:

And if you are crazy enough, you can do a badass bullet-dodging:

It also gave us options to create more variations to enemy guns.
Now the bulky cultist has a shotgun instead of a puny rifle.

And projectiles of witches are causing explosions, but they are slower. Therefore, it is easy to dodge them in open spaces but will prove devastating in closed quarters.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2022, 12:12:28 AM »

It seems to be a great improvement to see projectiles flying, it is a lot clearer to understand what is happening. The bullet-dodging seems to give the player a lot of agency in such a "simple" encounter. Great job!

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2022, 02:19:42 AM »

It seems to be a great improvement to see projectiles flying, it is a lot clearer to understand what is happening. The bullet-dodging seems to give the player a lot of agency in such a "simple" encounter. Great job!

Thank you!

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2022, 02:15:02 PM »

I can see a lot of work was invested in those animations, gj guys
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2022, 11:09:32 PM »

I can see a lot of work was invested in those animations, gj guys

Thank you! Animations are one of the pillars of our graphic design. They take enormous amount of time to make and polish, but I think it is worth it.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic