Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:41:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Tendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens  (Read 50862 times)
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2022, 09:38:43 AM »

A bit more action this time
We are exploring stages where players would feel cool Hand Metal Right

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2022, 10:57:07 AM »

This looks nice! Some nice human-munching action!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2022, 01:34:53 AM »

Still love the blood splatters on the wall Smiley

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2022, 10:53:33 AM »

This seems to have fun replay value
Gj!
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2022, 10:38:37 AM »

It makes me happy to see you guys started being active here again and that your creation is still going solid.

And I also want to say Thank you to both of you for your support!

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2022, 11:50:37 AM »

Thank you so much!

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2022, 11:51:14 PM »

We are working on special abilities. The player will buy/upgrade them for pickups

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2022, 02:53:34 AM »

I like what I see  Well, hello there!

Very good design choice. Upgrades always tend to give that nice action + reward feel for the player.

My only concern is that the interactive objects don't stand out, I mean they look amazing but they need some hint in order to have them stand out from the background, maybe a white or black outline. I dunno maybe it's just me

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2022, 01:59:50 AM »

I like what I see  Well, hello there!

Very good design choice. Upgrades always tend to give that nice action + reward feel for the player.

My only concern is that the interactive objects don't stand out, I mean they look amazing but they need some hint in order to have them stand out from the background, maybe a white or black outline. I dunno maybe it's just me

Thanks!
Yes that's a fair concern and we take clarity/UX very seriously.

For that we have certain rules for interactive/gameplay objects so they stand out from the background:
  • We use a limited color palette for the background. All interactive objects go beyond this with having higher saturation and value contrast.
  • They are animated. Almost all animations are reserved for gameplay objects. For non-gameplay objects we try to create very subtle animations - just for atmosphere.
  • Then there is composition. We try to create contrast by eg. placing them away from background objects - so for example if there is a bunch of background objects in a room, we may create a 'bubble' of empty space, which creates a natural contrast. That's a good place for, let's say, a lever. Or we may create shapes that point to interactive objects. We also use lights to lead the player's eye either to important objects or in the direction of something important, or just to tell the player 'hey, there is something here, go check it out!'.

In addition, these pickups have a slightly different graphic style from the rest of the game. They are rather large flat objects with glow. This was reserved only for special effects. Additionally the blue one goes way beyond our limited color palette. We wanted them to feel different from the rest of interactive objects because they, well, are different Smiley They are something out of this world - soul shards, demonic pickups...

Plus we will place these altars into god rays, in the center of circular shapes, in secret areas...

We hope these rules will help with clarity in the end and that the player will feel like we give them enough information to win a stage. We fine tune these things rather often. For example we had at least three iterations of levers, but that's a topic by itself  Cheesy 

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2022, 12:19:39 AM »

Awesome looks like you got everything figured out.

Will you guys use an external publisher or go for self-publish on this one?

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2022, 02:08:41 AM »

Will you guys use an external publisher or go for self-publish on this one?

We are still not sure. We will need to analyze all possibilities and decide. We had some offers from publishers, but at the time it was too soon.
For now, we are planning to make a steam page - something we should have done long ago Embarrassed

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2022, 07:27:09 AM »

We made some changes/improvements to graphics and gameplay.

We added parallax backgrounds to make the atmosphere darker and to get rid of most of the black walls. It also makes the graphics clearer. There are now areas of muted exterior and more vibrant interior. It splits the space, so it’s not a giant blob of similar colors and the player can better focus on important areas.

Before:

After:

In motion:

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2022, 12:21:33 AM »

The improvement is visible. Good work!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2022, 03:58:06 AM »

The improvement is visible. Good work!
Thank you!

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: May 14, 2022, 07:09:06 AM »

We are adding demonic powers.

Our aim is to add another layer to our stealth action gameplay. Now the player can collect essence (blue crystals) from killed enemies or from special altars. The essence is used to unlock the powers.
We are limiting the use of demonic powers with mana, which can be acquired during normal gameplay in mana altars. We are planning to limit the max mana rather strongly (around 3) so the abilities will be used sparingly.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2022, 09:13:42 AM »

This continues to look awesome. I love the new demonic powers!

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2022, 03:59:53 AM »

Very good art direction for that interface theme . GJ!

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2022, 07:34:09 AM »

One of the early levels, where the player will face armed guards for the first time

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2022, 06:30:58 AM »

We are adding military props. We want them to tell the story that units were sent down into the caverns recently. It's not where they usually spend their spare time. So they have these boxes all over the place. They transported larger stuff on small vehicles. They also brought strange light-post-thingies that serve some strange military purpose - who knows - we just needed to bring some glows up near the ceiling.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2022, 11:19:06 PM »

I like these props and light-post-thingies. The scene feels quite atmospheric and tells a cool story.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic