Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:35:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Author Topic: Tendril: Echo Received - 2d platformer inspired by Aliens  (Read 50780 times)
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2023, 12:38:59 PM »

LePTe Va KoSa Si NaSi Ka .
//
Quick question , do yu know what a Sacoeurl is? Ka .

Uhm, no idea.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2023, 12:40:40 PM »

I FINISHED IT (again)!

Positive
- the new main menu looks godlike
- credits screen looks very professional
- intro is very atmospheric
- the environment looks alive, I love all that small attention to detail and all those smoke/steam animations and so on
- that small cutscene at end of the first stage really gives extra points to the mood of the game
- the unlocking of the grappling mechanic with the J button is perfectly executed, I like how you first tease the player with the unreachable vent door and then give him the reward. Very Metroidvania
- some of the levels are very fun to play because they also seem to allow player the freedom of choice on how to play
- I did not experienced any bugs(WOW)

Negative
- no mouse support in menus this is super frustrating and annoying, it's okay to have a retro theme game but it's not ok to also bring the quality-of-life limitations
- first encounter with the last saw may be a bit difficult/unforgiving for noob players so soon in the game
- the second time I countered the saws were also pretty difficult and unforgiving, especially since they had 2 such moments within the same checkpoint
- after I took the second upgrade and died I had to retake it, this can become a bit frustrating on the long term but I assume this was made so that the player can try different second upgrades fast after death
- when entering a door would be nice to just press E not to actually hold E for a few seconds
- the game kept jumping from fun balance to unforgiving balance

Overall I can see a MAJOR improvement since the first version I played a year ago.
Very good job guys, the overall quality of the game is visibly boosted

Gentleman
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 12:45:56 PM by Ramos » Logged

Marit Lage
Level 0

TaVu NaLoHa SeKhSa Vo

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2023, 01:31:29 PM »

LePTe Va KoSa Si NaSi Ka .
//
Quick question , do yu know what a Sacoeurl is? Ka .

Uhm, no idea.
Yeah , that·s what i suspected .

(She/Her__English is my third language .)
Well , anyway . I never have to justify myself ever again .
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2023, 11:38:06 AM »

I FINISHED IT (again)!

Positive
- the new main menu looks godlike
- credits screen looks very professional
- intro is very atmospheric
- the environment looks alive, I love all that small attention to detail and all those smoke/steam animations and so on
- that small cutscene at end of the first stage really gives extra points to the mood of the game
- the unlocking of the grappling mechanic with the J button is perfectly executed, I like how you first tease the player with the unreachable vent door and then give him the reward. Very Metroidvania
- some of the levels are very fun to play because they also seem to allow player the freedom of choice on how to play
- I did not experienced any bugs(WOW)

Negative
- no mouse support in menus this is super frustrating and annoying, it's okay to have a retro theme game but it's not ok to also bring the quality-of-life limitations
- first encounter with the last saw may be a bit difficult/unforgiving for noob players so soon in the game
- the second time I countered the saws were also pretty difficult and unforgiving, especially since they had 2 such moments within the same checkpoint
- after I took the second upgrade and died I had to retake it, this can become a bit frustrating on the long term but I assume this was made so that the player can try different second upgrades fast after death
- when entering a door would be nice to just press E not to actually hold E for a few seconds
- the game kept jumping from fun balance to unforgiving balance

Overall I can see a MAJOR improvement since the first version I played a year ago.
Very good job guys, the overall quality of the game is visibly boosted

Gentleman

Thank you for your feedback and kind words!

We are going to add a few stages before those saws, so the player is going to have more time to learn the basics. We want to make the game considerably hard, but not punishing, so we will have to balance it.

What do you mean that you had to hold E to enter doors ? We have press-and-hold for switches, but for doors and shafts the player just has to press E.

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2023, 04:03:44 AM »

Ceiling grapple - a new ability to give the player more movement options.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 12:29:00 PM by cepnox » Logged

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2023, 06:52:15 AM »

interesting mechanic, that also gives a nice personality boost to the main character

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2023, 12:21:49 PM »

Some time ago we decided to steer Tendril towards metroidvania. This way we will be more able to give the player interesting ways to explore the mysterious world. It will also allow us to play more with abilities - to use them as gates.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 12:27:27 PM by irn » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2023, 08:38:14 AM »

Love the direction you're taking the project. It continues to look and sound amazing!

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 29, 2023, 11:27:29 AM »

WIP ability - Player will be able to possess npcs from a long distance. Player will not be able to control them, but it will make it possible to reach new areas, or hide during intense fight.

https://i.imgur.com/6aRotxV.mp4

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2023, 04:53:36 PM »

This looks like a really cool feature, I can see a lot of ways this can be used to either save your ass or deal with some interesting puzzles.

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 10, 2023, 08:01:33 AM »

Lately we have been working on aggressive gameplay as an alternative to stealth.
Stealth is still meant to be the primary way to beat the game, but we wanted to give the player more options.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: September 10, 2023, 11:08:59 AM »

Very good choice!

I remember when I played the alpha and the demo, I had more fun killing everything than doing stealth mode.

What's next? Any plans for a Steam coming soon page ?

Gentleman

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 11, 2023, 11:22:26 AM »

Thanks.

Yeah, we always wanted to make the killing an integral part of the stealth - an alternative to common stealth way of keeping everybody alive and happy Smiley

We are planning to start working on it at the beginning of the next year - this time for realzies Smiley We are failing miserably at mixing marketing with development. The development is our comfort zone, so it always wins Smiley

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2023, 11:32:04 PM »

Lately we have been working on aggressive gameplay as an alternative to stealth.
Stealth is still meant to be the primary way to beat the game, but we wanted to give the player more options.

Great work! The game looks really fun.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2023, 10:10:42 AM »

This starts to look even better than carrion
BestFriendStudio
Level 0

One man studio with ton of pixels

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 22, 2023, 05:55:59 AM »

It was quite a joy to read through this devlog. Progress is quite noticeable, and I really like your video materials.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Some of the game mechanics reminds me of Deadbolt game, and (probably because of squishy movement) old game called Gish.

Thanks for sharing the behavior tree tool. I always wanted to learn more about behavior trees, is there any specific book or material which you would consider to be the right choice for properly understanding the idea? I saw many online posts and few books.

Also, here's a rough fan art of the creature I've had to create instantly.  Grin

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2023, 12:13:20 PM »

Thank you guys for your kind words, this means a lot to us!

Also, here's a rough fan art of the creature I've had to create instantly.  Grin

Wow! That's incredible. I absolutely love your style. I also like the story here - Dragon just apparently annihilated someone upstairs and now sneaks to his next prey.

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2024, 01:21:07 PM »

Hey,
we have made a lot of improvements to the gameplay recently while moving torwards metroidvania.

We made enemies more challenging and interesting. Guards can now block direct attacks, so the player has to time their strikes. This can lead to dangerous situations because blocking alerts other enemies nearby. We have also been adding more ways for Dragon to get rid of pesty humans. Apart from stealth execution and direct attack, he can blow them up, drop stone blocks onto their heads, push them into the depths, but most of all he likes to throw them into spikes Smiley
We are also adding secret areas to make the whole exploration more rewarding.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic