Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:03:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlynn: Son of Crimson [24 HOURS ON KICKSTARTER]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Flynn: Son of Crimson [24 HOURS ON KICKSTARTER]  (Read 18867 times)
Slimon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »

FLYNN IS ON KICKSTARTER

Flynn: Son of Crimson is a 2D action adventure platformer with metroidvania elements. Set in a wondrous world with a looming darkness beginning to awaken yet again. Take on the role of Flynn, a young man orphaned as a child who sets out to chase the shadows of his beginnings whilst awakening the ancient power of Crimson within him. Discover relics of ancient Rosantica, effigies and monuments to the goddess Sorrell that reveal hints at Flynn’s beginnings and unlock new powers. Reveal secret pathways, trade with villagers, battle fierce monsters, hang out with dogs.

What can you expect?
  • Explore a wondrous world filled with discovery, taking place in unique regions designed with non-linear exploration.
  • Swap between multiple weapons with quick and satisfying combat.
  • Dive in to a land with ancient mysteries and rich story.
  • Travel across the lands, discovering new ways to roam and opening new paths using the power of crimson.
  • Dip in and out of an alternate dimension to make unique alterations to the real world.
  • View a realm full of life, carefully formed with hand-crafted pixel art.
  • Trade trinkets for new combat techniques and runes with an old war veteran.
  • Call on your companion Dex in times of need, a mystical and loyal creature.
  • Test your strength in the feared Rustwood coliseum among other challenging feats.

Programming and design
Case Portman and myself are working on design and production, while Case is also doing all the programming.

Art
Environment art, character design - Phil Giarrusso
Enemy and character animation - Hunter Russell

Concept Art
Concept art being worked on by Jaya Ply

Music
The soundtrack is being composed by Jacob Lincke, doing a beautiful job so far.

Thunderhorse
Twitter
Email us! [email protected]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:25:29 PM by Slimon » Logged
TurtleUrban
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:32:52 PM »

Fantastic pixel art -- although the quality of it seems to waver in the the forth gameplay GIF. That said, the second gameplay GIF particularly benefits form all the layers you have going on and looks lovely. Curious as to what different weapons you'll be able to use -- looks like you're hoping to have a combat that involving combo chains based on weapon switching?
alaNintendo
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:11:12 PM »

Looks awesome!

I guess the art isn't finished since I saw a frame of animation with some shading on the character. Don't hate me, but I think the ultra flat look is much better!  Addicted
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »

Nice pixel art and seems like the type of game I like! Following :D
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 01:49:55 AM »

About time you got on TIGsource too!

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 02:45:35 AM »

looks good
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 04:13:22 AM »

Hey guys thanks for the feedback, Designer/Programmer here, thought I'd plop myself in here and drop in some info.

Fantastic pixel art -- although the quality of it seems to waver in the the forth gameplay GIF.
Thanks! Yeah a lot of the animations are in place as rough at the moment until we're completely happy with how they work in game, out animator then polishes them.

Curious as to what different weapons you'll be able to use -- looks like you're hoping to have a combat that involving combo chains based on weapon switching?
Something like that yeah, the weapons are unlockable and interchangeable, plus you can change on the fly with the shoulder buttons, feels pretty good for tickling out a few customized combos.

Don't hate me, but I think the ultra flat look is much better!  Addicted
Don't worry haha, we went through a small phase of thinking the same, but honestly when we saw a full mockup of a few completely polished anims, they worked so much better with the overall artstyle.

Weapons
So the weapons are unlocked by defeating the stage's boss and activating it's Shrine. New weapons not only give you a new style of combat but also come with new abilities that allow you to access new areas. Rather than separating a new item to unlock a door or something, we tied these two together for a more simple, yet interesting approach.

Crimson Sword
You will acquire this weapon pretty early on and will be your basic (but upgrade-able) weapon throughout the game. Medium speed and medium damage, but once you start upgrading with new abilities such as uppercut and dash attack, it'll become much more interesting.

Crimson Axe
The axe is a heavy hitting weapon which is great for piling on bigger damage, great tool for stunning enemies if you're in a spot of bother! The axe is also used to break down the Crimson walls to access new areas.

Crimson claws
..Or how people keep referring to as 'boxing gloves', but that's just the rough version! :D These things are the faster weapons in game, less damage dealt but allows you to keep striking into enemies and applying different combos (as long as your stamina bar isn't empty). These things also give you the ability to drill into certain areas in the ground, again, unlocking new areas.

(Yep the screenshake wants taming a fair bit here, leave it with me! Wink)

There's a few other abilities and weapon upgrades we have planned which should give these 3 melee weapons more use too.
Slimon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »

Progress on a cute lil basic sword get animation + checkpoint activation and healing.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »

wow this looks beautyyyyy!!!

really nice character design. tracking.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 05:33:39 AM »

Thanks alvarop!! Smiley

A little behind the scenes stuff from a level design point of view:

Stage 1: Rough out some ideas on paper

Stage 2: CRAYONS

Stage 3: In game (This area can be seen on one of the rough designs - top left)

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 12:11:57 PM »

Been following this on twitter for a while! Glad to see it here!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »

This looks awesome! Love the art.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 02:23:17 AM »

Thanks guys, yeah we thought it was about time we spread the game out and about.

Here's a few of Flynn's abilities:

Roll/Backflip
Basic dodging, mapped to RT and LT (depending on which side you're facing) - uses stamina.

Swimming
Free to move in all directions, trying to make swimming feel as nice as possible. Can't attack; attack button dashes forwards.

Grapple
A Crimson ability you earn a little ways through, still working to make this feel as good as possible.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 02:28:03 AM »

hello, the game looks very lovely and the animations are awesome

what engine are you using?

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 02:48:00 AM »

Thanks ANtY! We're using GM:S 2  Grin
Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »

Been following this on Twitter! I think I've said it many times, jesus christ this pixel art is great. :D

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »

Been following this on Twitter! I think I've said it many times, jesus christ this pixel art is great. :D

Thanks man! Yeah, our artists are doing a damn fine job! FiendTower looks great btw!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:52:13 AM by CasePortman » Logged
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 02:52:19 AM »

Looking amazing!

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 02:32:36 AM »

Update on weapon combos:

We've recently come to the realisation that having a stamina bar completely took away from the player experience when it came to smashing through enemies with the current weapons we have implemented, so we took a drastic change and got rid of it entirely; combat feels so much better without it.

So now we're experimenting with a combo system (still very primitive, but will update once we get more of it implemented). With the stamina not getting in the way, you can create your own combos of attacks using the quick weapon switching between attacks.

Here's a few we came up with:

Combo 1:

Combo 2:

Combo 3:

Combo 4:

You can create any combo for any situation or just stick with your favourite, giving lots of possibilities to varying play styles. Of course we will be introducing enemies and hazards that require the use of certain weapons too.
Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 08:44:06 AM »

Loved the art style! Gameplay and FX seems very fluid!

Keep it up! :D

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic