Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411429 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:37:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMind the Power Station
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mind the Power Station  (Read 6737 times)
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »

A new version is coming...

First Edit...

Motivation
I like power plants … especially thermal power plants. So I decided to make a power plant simulator (kind off..)

The “process” of generating power in a thermal power station is “very simple” – heat water to steam, then drive it through a steam turbine which shaft is connect to a power generator. The “rotation” of the shaft “produces” electricity. Simple is it not?

Game Mechanics / Gameplay
It's intended to be a power station simulator but at simpler level.

The objective of the game is to maintain a specific power rate during a specific amount of time (not implemented yet) coping with part fault’s and maintaining everything working properly (there’ll be warnings/signals to help you).

I thought in making each level corresponding to working day/shift, with repair/upgrade possibility for several parts, on the after-shift debriefing screen, but isn’t clear if that’s the way to go…

Each working day/shift you must control:
  • coal silos level,
  • coal mills (on/off),
  • coal rate into the boiler (trough coal mills),
  • the drum, hot-well and feedwater tank levels
  • hot-well and feedwater pumps (on/off)
  • steam, feedwater and hot-well valves (regulate water/steam flow)
to ensure that plant is operating between acceptable levels (green marks in the dials) at each power rate.

The power rate is controlled by opening/closing the steam valve, the delivers the steam to the steam turbines hence rotating the shaft that’s connect to the power generator.

As you open/close the steam valve pressure and water level decreases/increases. The correct levels are 150 bar for drum pressure and 50% for drum level.

To sustain the pressure in the drum you must control the rate of coal that’s burned in the boiler. To sustain the drum level, you must feed water into the drum by opening/closing the feedwater valve and with, at least, one feedwater pump on.

As your power plant generates, the steam that goes through the turbines ends up at the condenser, turning from steam to liquid, filling the hot well. You must maintain, the hotwell level 50% is the operating level) by opening/closing the hotwell valve and with, at least, one hotwell pump on.

Also, as you feed water to the drum, you must watch the feedwater tank level (50% is the operating level) that depends on the “balance” of water inflow from the hotwell and water outflow feeding the drum.

As you burn coal your coal silo’s level drop and so you much also maintain the desired silo level. You can fill in the silo by (1) selecting the silo (1st knob form the left at the silos panel) and turn on the silo feeder (2nd knob from the left at the silos panel). Be careful no the fill them too much and it take some time for the feeder to stop…

To help you it’ll be available some automatic controls (you’ll have to “buy” them later in the game – not clear):
  • steam valve auto – that keeps pressure at 150 bar,
  • feedwater valve auto – that keeps drum level at 50%,
  • hot-well valve auto – that keeps hot-well at 50%.

This is the “core” of the game…

Game screen

Quick start up sequence
1. Check silos levels (~80%) a bit high (that ok to start)
2. Turn on coal mills (turn each mill knob to green position)
3. Turn on feedwater pump 1
4. Turn on hotwell pump 1
5. Turn on automatics (steam, feedwater and hotwell)
6. Increase rate of mill n1 (M1) to ~20% (2nd mark on the upper dial next to M1 on/off knob)
7. Wait until pressure builds up to 150 bar (green mark at drum panel, pressure dial)
8. Once it gets there, you are free to increase/decrease coal rate at the remaining mills to achieve the desired power rate.

More gameplay ideas (tbd)
  • Fault handling – Each part starts to degrade and so you’ll be wise to maintain it. You will be doing it, at a cost, between levels/shifts (working day). If not, the change of fault will rise to the point off failure.
  • Maintenance team –  If you have sufficient workers in the maintenance team you’ll to repair it during the level at a quicker pace.
  • Upgrades – You will start with slower valves, slow start/stop time pumps and mills, low capacity silos, etc… As you complete game levels you will earn credits that you can spend in upgrades (and maintenance).
  • Tutorial levels – On the first 3 levels (work days) you will be attending just a specific part of the plant. 1st day coal silos, 2nd day valve’s controls and 3rd day the coal rate into the boiler. After, you’ll have to control everything together…

Technical
Coding in HaxeFlixel and using Gimp for pixel-art.

Devlog
Ah, the tile name isn't closed yet...
This is an hobby so I suspect it will take ages to finish this project.
Also, not quite sure that I'm on the right track...

Well, that’s it… so, any thoughts, suggestions, comments, etc… on any aspect of the game, they would be much appreciated!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:28:29 AM by MatosP78 » Logged
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:28:10 AM »

Well it seems that maintaining a power plant is extremely complicated Wink Though I do not think that it will be my cup of tea, it is definetely original and interesting. Do you plan to include any challenges like dealing with some damage or trying to keep the noise level down or even catching a rat that got in to one of the pipes Smiley ? Or the player could also buy new machines, pipes and stuff.

MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:08:46 PM »

Yes, as the plant runs parts will start to get old and have problems. There'll be a maintenance team to take care of it. It'll also be possible to upgrade parts.
The challenge is a good ideia...
Also, maybe it would be interesting to have a pollution indicator, that if above certain level you'll be fined by the state environmental agency.
Thank you very much for your comments and ideas!
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »

New design for the upper console!

Major changes:
  • Big 7-segment digital clock at the center screen,
  • 2x28 alarm/warning lights at each side of the plant diagram,
  • Grid for the plant diagram panels

Also, changed the background color to a more "beige" (uuhhh...) color making it more similar to an 80-90's power plant control room.
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »

New design for the lower left console area... More compact and tidy.
Now I've space for new things...

And the game screen will look like (also added the feed water and hotwell pumps switches):
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:03:10 PM by Mathus78 » Logged
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »

Two new features added!!!

• Power target/objective display : Power generation indicator, power rate objective and the difference to the objective displays
  • Computer screen : it will display lot of useful information later  in the game...

Hoj
Level 0

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 05:35:32 AM »

This is a game!? Looks very interesting but looks more like a training simulator!

Please join our game design server on Discord: https://discord.gg/2vTggSz
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »

This is a game!? Looks very interesting but looks more like a training simulator!

Thanks! Well... it's long way off traning sims but it trys to give you a little bit more that just a simple "ajust the power" game...
Pixelologist
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:07:22 PM »

If you lose, does everything explode?
joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 07:21:22 AM »

Love games like these!! Screw the tutorial, if things get bad I'll just 'pull a Homer'   Beer!
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »

If you lose, does everything explode?

Probably not, just a screen saying that you have wrecked something and then restart the level...
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »

Love games like these!! Screw the tutorial, if things get bad I'll just 'pull a Homer'   Beer!

Thanks! Anyway, you will need to have some king of tutorial... I recognize that it isn't a simple game.
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »

I've been stuck in the upgrade parts menu and mechanics waiting (hoping) for a good idea to pop up... so this is my first attempt.

Upgrade screen mock-up

Each blue circle in the screen will display the level of the power plant part.
Pressing them will display the part specifications for the current and following levels.

Btw, I'm thinking in reducing the number of coal mills to a single one. Simpler mechanics, screen "space" left for new things...
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »

Just wanted to chime in that I absolutely love that this game exists. One of my favorite thing with games is being able to drill down into minutiae of something so specific

I think one way to pull in non-power plant nerds is to have an entire panel dedicated to a represented view of the city or town or whatever that's benefiting from your plant. You could even have different scenarios that add a bit of drama or pressure, like during a natural disaster or war or something.

Maybe this doesn't fit into your vision, but if I approached this and it was just switches and nobs and the like, I wouldn't even bother trying to learn it. But if I could see the impact of my actions I would definitely make more an effort

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »

I think one way to pull in non-power plant nerds is to have an entire panel dedicated to a represented view of the city or town or whatever that's benefiting from your plant...

This is a fantastic idea! Something simple like the portraits you see in Papers, Please is sometimes all you need to really immerse your audience in the game.

Having a super cool quirky retro sci fi soundtrack would probably also wouldn't hurt *ahem*   Wink
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »

Just wanted to chime in that I absolutely love that this game exists. One of my favorite thing with games is being able to drill down into minutiae of something so specific

Thank you for your kind feedback!

I think one way to pull in non-power plant nerds is to have an entire panel dedicated to a represented view of the city or town or whatever that's benefiting from your plant. You could even have different scenarios that add a bit of drama or pressure, like during a natural disaster or war or something.

Maybe this doesn't fit into your vision, but if I approached this and it was just switches and nobs and the like, I wouldn't even bother trying to learn it. But if I could see the impact of my actions I would definitely make more an effort

Interesting idea...
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 04:48:56 PM »

>> New Build <<
(Build 0.2)
25-07-2017

cjmerrill
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 11:22:31 AM »

Hi, just wondering how the progress has been on this? I actually work at a power plant and I’m trying to find a good representation of what operating a power plant is like for demonstration purposes and this seems pretty spot on.
Thanks
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 01:18:14 AM »

Hi, just wondering how the progress has been on this? I actually work at a power plant and I’m trying to find a good representation of what operating a power plant is like for demonstration purposes and this seems pretty spot on.
Thanks
To be honest the project has been on hold for a long time, but I've decided to (re)start working...
Anyway, what you think about this game ?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:26:41 AM by Mathus78 » Logged
MatosP78
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 05:54:09 AM »

I've been working on the game redoing graphics, adding game mechanics and features.
I'll keep you posted because a new version is coming...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic