Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:03:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingCreating a portfolio and where to put it
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Creating a portfolio and where to put it  (Read 1758 times)
Nexusfactor
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:16:34 PM »

Other than using a blog, how would someone who has an interest in game writing create a portfolio? For example, developers have Github and various other platforms to host there projects. Are there any platforms for writers to post samples of there work? I don't have a problem using a blog, but I was just wondering if there are better options, and I wasn't aware of them.     
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »

I don't know if it's considered a blog, but I've read a lot of writing about games on medium. I prefer the experience of it over reading wordpress sites or other blogs, but I can understand that it isn't as centralized as a blog can be. This probably isn't that helpful, but I'm not a writer personally. I can only give my experience as a reader.

Hope you get some more responses!

0XPgamedev
Level 0

Noob makes game in year: read all about it

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 07:10:25 AM »

Hi Nexusfactor, I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but you raise an interesting question as I don't think that there is an obvious precedent set for game-writing portfolios. If there is, I don't know and I'm sure someone will come along and post, but otherwise it might be helpful to try and think of some creative ways to get your work out there.

Screenshots - movie trailers often show snippy clips of their script tastefully arranged, so if you've got some particularly good lines, posting images of it in-game could show it off

Text Adventures - they're all words, so if you can make a compelling text-based game, you've proven you're a good game writer

YouTube videos - building on the screenshots idea, perhaps make a 'highlight reel' of some lines or exchanges you like. You could even get creative editing them.

Those are all I can think off the top of my head, and they may not prove useful but I hope it gave you some ideas, and if not I hope someone can answer your question.
cathy121
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:11:43 AM »

I completely agree with previous posts. Unfortunately, cannot suggest a specific blog... well, what about starting your own blog or a blog where others can also write about games? 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic