Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:00:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Please rate this dog
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Please rate this dog  (Read 1369 times)
dgidney
Level 0

~

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »

Hi everyone! I just finished this dog. Please let me know how I could make it better!

I definitely messed up on the fur. You can see around the face that the extruded fur looks square, but it's supposed to be transparent. I should have been more careful not to paint to the edges I guess.

Also, I did the fur the same as clothing, by duplicating the body and fattening it. Is that an okay way to do it, or is there a better way?

Thanks everyone!

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »

I don't have a rating to give, and 3D is not my forte, but I do like it.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
astronothing
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 03:20:30 AM »

Judging from the paws, there seem to be some problems with the geometry. I'm not sure I would bother with the fur, try to make a clean base mesh first. Also, try not to have visible UV seams like where the legs meet the body, the edge of the face or the head.
dgidney
Level 0

~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 04:05:32 AM »

Thank you for your response. My approach was to model it the same way real fur works: by making a smaller, non-fluffy body, then adding fur on top of it to add the fluff. Clearly that didn't work out. ;P What steps do people normally take to model fur for games? And about the UV seams, what would be the best way to make sure the colours are blended properly? Thanks again!
RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »

11/10 good dog.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »

Try @dog_rates on Twitter.

Electric Boogaloo: "This time it's serious."
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 09:36:17 AM »

The strong edges on the gray on the ears makes the head feel cel-shaded, which clashes with the gradient eyes and "scratchy" textures. Are you going for cel-shaded / cartoony, or more realistic?

jelligeth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 12:00:42 AM »

For realistic dogs in games, you could probably look into how Dogmeat, the dog from Fallout 4, was created. I'm not a 3D artist so I'm mostly guessing, but it looks like a finished dog model, fur and all, with only the trimmings around the neck and ears perhaps using alpha blended geometry. The rest I'd imagine is all done with normal maps and texturing.

I'm guessing you're avoiding using particle hair entirely? I thiiiink the longer haired dogs from the Sims 3 Pets use particle hair but I could be mistaken. Regardless it would serve as good reference anyway.

At a more indie level, you could try look into how the fur on the fox in Never Alone was made. Pretty sure it's just a full mesh though, with some sort of glow/blur trickery applied Tongue

If you're going for something more cartoony though, you could do away with fur entirely, ala Paw Patrol style. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic