Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:49:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Exile graphics
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Exile graphics  (Read 9014 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »

Fantastic artwork, Arne!  I hope this sees the light of day.  Exile was a cool game, too.

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »

i live in hope you'll make this with the normal concept art you frequently treat us to..  Braid is an example of how good retro games can look with high quality art :D

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Krumbs
Level 1

Huun Huur Tu

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »

I've read the page about Exile on your site something like twelve times, I'm really glad too see you continue with it. What you have now looks great but the background seems a little too light in my opinion, maybe darken it a smidgen.
Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 11:25:19 AM »

Nah, I think the contrast is good as it is, you get a very good view of depth and form of the cave. I hope you use a main character sprite that is more in line with the amiga version though, I just dislike full pink costumes (reminds me of the pink power ranger). Also I was hoping you'd go for a less angular and more natural cave system, of course some areas would have to be angular because they've been dug out with machinery, but for any large open spaces even if dug out with machinery you'd still expect them to have a more natural form than being completely rectangular...

I think your idea about the plants and stuff being able to be shot off walls is a great idea, adds an extra layer of fun and gives nice visual feedback. And if you shoot some things they should release some spore with are unaffected by the player and float across the room and cling onto a wall they bump into then possibly fertilise there.

I think background elements are a nice thing to have, though I must admit a few game have tricked me in the past that I can interact with a background element and some games have tricked me into thinking that a background element was in fact a foreground element and I have tried jumping on it or thinking that it was blocking a path when it wasn't. I think background elements just need to contrast the foreground slightly or be less saturated as to not draw your attention and they should be fine, or at least different enough from the foreground to be distinguishable. I don't know why I'm telling you this anyway, you're pretty good at what you do and I've never had a problem distinguishing foreground from background with your pieces.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »

The concepts look great! You should definitely try making large tiles to save yourself from carpal tunnel!
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 09:13:58 AM »

That looks like it's coming along pretty damn awesomely so far! Love the way it feels modern but still resembles the original.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 07:19:41 AM »

This thread is 2-3 projects ago. I think Haowan worked on some engine stuff though, but I think he stopped. He had some quad tree slope stuff going on.

The cave I did looks quite different with gamma 1.8 (mac) and gamma 2.2 (pc). Especially the darks.

I'm working on (reworking) my MoO1 project now, but I've grown tired of it.
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »

i'm awesome

you are awesome! shit, i love your projects Kiss the gfx Kiss

Krumbs
Level 1

Huun Huur Tu

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 08:55:02 AM »

What is it that makes you stick to Cortex Command? The money? The babes? Or do you just give up on your own projects because no one will be let down except your fans (fans don't really count though).
The-Imp
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 10:56:12 AM »

Krumbs, he does what he wants, and he wants what he does(Huh?)

As for the reworking on the other project thing, it's awesome. Just like everything else you do.
Krumbs
Level 1

Huun Huur Tu

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 11:23:21 AM »

I'm not meaning to sound like I'm attacking him, I'm just wondering what it is that makes him stay with Cortex Command and not any of his own projects.
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »

I don't abandon any of my projects. I work on all of them intermittently. Some of my projects are on their 5th iteration or so.

Slow progress. Preemptive multitasking.

Today I found my Starflight folder and realized that I haven't compiled a project page for it yet. Then I ended up exercising all day. And eating lots cake. Actually, first I ate the cake, then I exercised. No, that's not true either. I exercised, ate cake, exercised, ate cake. Yeah, that's what really happened. Busy day, but not terribly productive as the exercise and cake cancels out.
Krumbs
Level 1

Huun Huur Tu

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 01:09:02 PM »

Out of all your projects, Exile was always my favourite one that I hoped you would finish. Maybe you will one day.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »

Arne, I was thinking about how an entire map painted in that style might be made to look less uniform. What about hand hand painting lighting into the map? Little local electric lights, phosphorescent fungi and the like could form little bright spots, and the unlit areas could have some variation in them as well (while still remaining appropriately dim).

Just an idea. I like the green lumps on the rocks in your mockup, by the way.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic