Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:55:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Designing cards for a CCG elements of a tactiacl RPG Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Designing cards for a CCG elements of a tactiacl RPG Game  (Read 1253 times)
Sneaky_Seal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2017, 02:04:17 AM »

The game we're working on, Ash of Gods, is a tactical RPG with collecting cards game elemenets.

Here are the first designs for the cards:

What do you think of these? Can you guess what they do?
Also we are slowly running out of the inspirations for the visuals (what to use besides daggers, shields, etc.) so if you know of somehting to look up to - please share.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling and an extensive online PvP mode!
If you've missed our Kickstarter campaign, you can still support us and get your rewards here.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:47 PM »

Without context it is difficult to tell. I am guessing the breaking shield is probably some defense debuffing effect, and the sword flag might be an attack buffing effect (like a call to arms or something), etc. but really everything is just very broad (mostly due to potentially being used to represent a number of things). It's not necessarily terrible, once given context (i.e. once you learn what each symbol represents in-game) it probably will be no issue to remember what is what and the symbolism will seem much less broad.

As for running out of inspirations start looking up uncommon weaponry and armor, there is a lot of awesome Indian, Chinese, Japanese, etc. equipment that you could bend and twist to match the flavor of your game setting. At the moment, you're really showing with your cards there some very vanilla and over-used fantasy equipment. The 4th image on the top, for example, has swords about as basic and bare as it gets. Even with the limited space and low-detail of the art style there is no reason you couldn't make the handles more embellished and add some style or curvature to the blades (even as low-detail as these ones are they still pull off some interesting shapes). A little extra spicing up on the helmet wouldn't hurt, either. Also, while not a necessity for the cards to look good, you could add a simple border to the cards to make them more card-like.

Don't get me wrong, I am not commenting on the quality of the art itself (it's good) I am commenting just on what is being depicted.

In any case, keep up the good work! CoffeeToast Right

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:20:44 AM »

wow! Amazing style!

My last game:

Supporter of
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic