Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411918 Posts in 69431 Topics- by 58479 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 11, 2024, 10:00:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDante's Inferno
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Dante's Inferno  (Read 53573 times)
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2009, 07:13:59 AM »

yeah, fuck off, I'm trying get into this elitism/pretentiousness thing, jeez!  Cry

I'm not ready to unilaterally denounce Dante's Inferno until I can do the same to God of War. Same shit, except that one takes inspiration from one book, and one takes inspiration from a collection of myths.

Oh, and one gets Christians riled up more  Corny Laugh
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2009, 07:17:29 AM »

i don't think most of us are unilaterally denouncing it either. i'm not at least -- i think it might be fun to play, even if it's a stupid idea. it depends on the execution. resident evil 4 wasn't a great idea either but its execution made it pretty fun. but that doesn't mean i don't also think that that paragraph is clearly drivel; if that's what passes for oscar-winning writing, something is wrong with the oscars

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »

it depends on the execution.
Would this apply to the writing, too? The last page seems to be filled with people laughing at the idea of Dante's Inferno winning any writing awards.

I think there's two major directions you can choose from when making games. You can try to innovate, and provide a new and unique experience, or you can refine an old experience, by taking something that's already fun, and attempting to improve it further. Good games come from both ends of the spectrum.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2009, 07:37:41 AM »

yes, it's possible that was just an off-paragraph and he normally doesn't write like an angsty 15-year old boy, we'll see. or at least, some of us will see, since i probably won't buy this (i don't usually buy any mainstream games anymore as a general rule, the last exception was fallout 3 about a year ago since i was into the series)

also, so far, i don't think this is trying either of those methods, i don't see either innovation or refinement in any of its promotional materials, i just see repetition. there's a difference between refinement and repetition

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2009, 10:12:23 AM »

yeah, fuck off, I'm trying get into this elitism/pretentiousness thing, jeez!  Cry

I'm not ready to unilaterally denounce Dante's Inferno until I can do the same to God of War. Same shit, except that one takes inspiration from one book, and one takes inspiration from a collection of myths.

Except God of War takes inspiration from mythology, Dante's Inferno says "Hey look we're THE game version of the poem. This is what Dante would have made if he made games"
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »

Except God of War takes inspiration from mythology, Dante's Inferno says "Hey look we're THE game version of the poem. This is what Dante would have made if he made games"

Which is funny considering that it's the third (fourth?) commercial game based on The Divine Comedy.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
David W Wilson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2009, 11:15:57 AM »

Dante's Inferno should be a adventure game, but perhaps with a bit of survival horror mixed in. I mean, he is in hell after all. Perhaps he wouldn't so much beat the demons with a sledge hammer so much as use his wit to avoid them. Maybe Virgil makes him immune to them and when Virgil isn't there they drive him insane and it's more about summoning Virgil or something. Like in Fatal Frame you're not actually killing stuff, just taking photos.

The game should have a really opressive, psychological horror feel to it. Like silent hill 2.

The pit of thieves and the gluttons with the boulders would be interesting. Prometheus would also be a pretty wicked encounter.

Pablo and Franchesca would make it R18.

Even though I read all the cantos I barely understood the language, so maybe my understanding of The Divine Comedy is all wrong but having Dante beating stuff up just seems out of character. It so far looks like something chadwarden would play.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:36:16 AM by David W Wilson » Logged
David W Wilson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »

Yeah God of War is also shit. And every Hollywood movie ever made about classics. Although Caligula was ok.

I'm a big fan of scientific and historical accuracy in everything. I pretty much watch documentaries exclusivly these days.

Even in fiction, things like aliens that are smart enough to travel faster than the speed of light, yet are too stupid to be able to engineer organisms grinds my gears.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »

Dante's Inferno should be a adventure game

Facepalm

Enter the Story's version of The Divine Comedy has just been released.

piyush86
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2009, 01:23:18 PM »

Exactly....Adopting the theme of hell is a different thing compared to portraying Danta as a scythe wielding dude who likes to whack the shit out of eight-nippled monsters...actually that sounds good... Evil
David W Wilson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »

Dante's Inferno should be a adventure game

Facepalm

Enter the Story's version of The Divine Comedy has just been released.

Oh wow, I'll have to give that a play. But if you had read the rest of my sentence, I said that having some survival horror elements mixed in would better than a pure adventure game.

The link you posted is clearly just an adventure game, and why are they including it with other stories? I don't want to have to go through Les Misérables to get to the inferno.

And sorry for not reading the entire thread and missing your link the first time, but I was running late for work.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2009, 10:09:23 PM »

God of War was pretty accurate I think: Greek mythology really was full of violence and shitty gods who meddle with humanity. The only thing that was blatantly wrong was the portrayal of Pandora's box.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »

God of War was pretty accurate I think: Greek mythology really was full of violence and shitty gods who meddle with humanity. The only thing that was blatantly wrong was the portrayal of Pandora's box.

You forgot all that (sometimes disturbing) sexin' up.
Movius
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2009, 12:00:24 AM »

The more I hear about this, the more I'm convinced it will be awesome.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2009, 07:58:23 AM »

...and why are they including it with other stories? I don't want to have to go through Les Misérables to get to the inferno

Actually, he says on the "Buy" page that you can ask him for specifically just one episode to buy.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2009, 08:01:12 AM »

i still need to review that game, he sent me a review copy of it. however, w/ the igf deadline looming i haven't had as much time to play new games and review them. expect a lot of game reviews from me after nov 1 though!

The_Flying_Dove
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2009, 08:05:08 AM »

I recently heard that it will feature a morality system. Now, while that is something that many hack n' slash games do not offer, I assume that it will be more of the same stuff where everything is portrayed in black and white, instead of any shades of gray. Other than that, the rest of the game feels too cliche. Unless it really adds some guilt into the gameplay, when you are murdering the countless enemies within the game, I won't be interested in it at all.

"No one is to be called an enemy, all are your benefactors, and no one does you harm. You have no enemy except yourselves." - St. Francis of Assisi
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2009, 08:09:01 AM »

no no, morality colors, not morality greys  Wizard

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2009, 11:43:02 AM »

Why limit ourselves to the light spectrum of electromagnetic radiation? I WANT MICROWAVE MORALITY.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »

that's getting into the morality of creatures far removed from us, like the moral choices the sponge makes under the sea, or the moral choices an ant hill makes, composed as it is of many ant brains

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic