Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:25:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDante's Inferno
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Dante's Inferno  (Read 53390 times)
Movius
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 02:27:32 AM »

I liked it when the monster vomitted the people
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 04:07:56 AM »

I second the vote for a Pride and Prejudice and Zombies game.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 07:00:34 AM »

Yo, I haven't read this thread, but I think you guys are taking this too seriously.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 07:04:02 AM »

Yo, I haven't read this thread, but I think you guys are taking this too seriously.

Yo, how is it possible to know that without reading it.

or

Yo, have you read Dante's Inferno (for pleasure rather than for school or something).

or

Yo dawg, I heard you like hell, so I put some inferno in your inferno so you burn while you burn.

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 07:16:51 AM »

You guys are definitely taking this too seriously.

It's too bad Gustav Dore is dead.  He could have done some awesome visuals for an adventure game.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 07:22:47 AM »

I think EA wanted to make a game in which you travel through the seven levels of hell, beating up horrific abominations from each layer as you go. The question is: How the hell could you make a game like that and not include Dante's Inferno? It's the entire base of the game. Without the book, this game couldn't be.
Gnarf
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 07:26:27 AM »

totoal devil mya cry ripof their even uses the same naem lol

Edit: I've compiled a list of games that use the word "Yggdrasil" and do it right:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:29:37 AM by Gnarf » Logged
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 08:15:05 AM »

Faxanadu  Cool
Renton
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 08:31:17 AM »

Yo dawg, I heard you like hell, so I put some inferno in your inferno so you burn while you burn.
Now I've seen everything.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »

It's not gonna hurt the book any. I don't see the problem. The book is fantastic (from what I've read), and getting more interested in it is great!
PaleFox
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »

Next time, they need to adapt this novel. I think that will go over well.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »

Absolutely transparent cynical marketing dross with zero redeeming features and no effort expended in it. Does not exhibit a single iota of imagination or originality. Seems to trample all over its source material with complete disregard.

Basically they wanted to beat God Of War but the brand is too strong, so they would be unable to with a new IP. So they plundered the out-of-copyright stuff to find something they wouldn't have to pay for just in case they fuck it up and it doesn't sell as well as GoW. As long as it can vaguely be related to some kind of God of War clone, it's A-OK as far as Marketing are concerned, and what do the serfs at the two EA studios who are slaving away over it (Oh the irony - I wonder which circle of hell they are residing in to have to work at EA like that) care?

Can this piece of shit and shoot the cunts that came up with it in the face.

Seems to trample all over its source material with complete disregard.
I've thought about this and it's actually worse, as they claim to have read it and also claim to want to 'do it justice', which is just a barefaced lie. So it is actively scorning the source material rather than simply raping it for primitive ideas.

A-fucking-men.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »

I think it'd be less of a problem if they didn't actually call it Dante's Inferno, but called it like, Dante in Hell or something. Cause calling it the exact same name implies that it's a kind of adaption rather than a spin-off or quirky variation.

It'd kind of be like making a game called The Bible, where you play as an angel and blast through all of the challenges the devil can throw at you.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »

You know Paul, that sounds pretty fun. Tongue

But yeah, this all looks like game marketing at its best, ripping off ideas and then twisting them to make them accessible and profitable. But hey, it's EA, what else do you expect?

I do wish some indie would make a faithful adaptation of the story, just to scorn EA. Plus we'd get one more game. Beer! So get to it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 06:52:32 PM »

A point and click adventure game would be nice.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »

Now I've seen everything.
Twice.

Movius
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 12:54:17 AM »

I've thought about this and it's actually worse, as they claim to have read it and also claim to want to 'do it justice', which is just a barefaced lie. So it is actively scorning the source material rather than simply raping it for primitive ideas.
I sensed a certain ridiculousness to the trailer similar to the Starship Troopers movie. In that it's someone making a movie/game based on writings that they utterly hate and therefore sending a completely different message.

However, while I can see how this could and did work brilliantly for Starship Troopers, I have no idea why anyone would do this to Dante's Inferno.

Unless you set out to deliberately mimic the "Huge budgetted unrelated game with famous name slapped on it" style.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 02:28:00 AM »

Has anybody seen any gameplay footage? I would at least like to save my universal condemnation for something that's actually there to be universally condemned.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 02:34:04 AM »

I have no problem with it. If you are going to convert a book into a different medium, you don't have to take everything that there is in the book; in fact that would generally be a bad idea. I imagine they have chosen to take the general outline of the story, the imagery and the gruesomeness from Dante. Perhaps it will be disappointing that they don't do much with the other themes from the book; on the other hand, perhaps it will be a great game and these things won't matter.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 04:04:53 AM »

I'm not too familiar with the book, so I can't comment on the faithfulness. I can imagine that some people feel like I most likely will when the new Kid Icarus game comes out.

I did like some of the mist effect in the trailer. I think it would be an interesting challenge to create surreal visuals. It could be distortion of geometry that is so subtle that it just creates an uneasy feeling. A floor which starts leaning. Some NPC who turns around, and when he turns back to face you it's a different person (like persons tend to swap in dreams). You walk through a door and suddenly are in a very different place. There's a hot chick standing there but then her leg morphs into some... nasty meat shape.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic