Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:33:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMr. Donovan - The worlds first SOBO
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Mr. Donovan - The worlds first SOBO  (Read 2255 times)
SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »

Mr. Donovan

Tame your MOBA skills and conquer the first SOBO! A Single player online battle open world on an alien planet. Defend your ship from nightly raids, encounter odd and intelligent adversaries, befriend and earn the love of pets in this blend of tower defense and battle arena genres.

Features:
  • Discover a wide variety of environments on an alien planet
  • Earn the love of precocious pets and odd creatures
  • Allied pets act as towers that help you defend against enemies. You can place them anywhere
  • Equip essential items & mystifying abilities
  • All environments change a little every day

I am the lone indie developer of Swizzle LLC creating Mr. Donovan based in Portland Oregon. I have posted on the TigForums in the past but google drive stopped hosting images so all the links broke. Why not start a brand new thread. The game is now on Early Access getting some feedback from people playing it has been extremely helpful. You can also keep up with the game on Twitter

Elliott
of Swizzle LLC
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:35:14 AM by SwizzleLLC » Logged

Solo Indie Developer working on Mr. Donovan
Mr. Donovan|Steam Page|@MrDonovanGame
GameBubble06.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 02:30:37 AM »

Great work for lone developer. Could you please tell what part of it is online? Can you co-op with other players, since you mentioned "Single player online battle open world". Sorry if I didn't get it.
YogX
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:49:33 AM »

Looks great! Smiley

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »

Great work for lone developer. Could you please tell what part of it is online? Can you co-op with other players, since you mentioned "Single player online battle open world". Sorry if I didn't get it.

Thank you! You're right in that it may be a little confusing. It is single player, and the "online" coincides with the way many single player games are online these days. For iteration and changes to the game over it's lifetime while people play it.

I want to build more things that the players want and not worry so much about things that don't garner much interest. In order to do that, it will take time and feedback from people playing  Smiley

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:26:35 AM »

Looks great! Smiley

Thank you! much appreciated

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 01:48:21 PM »

Pet Octopus animation. I like it's ears personally  Gomez

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »

Pet robot flying animation, this is taken from within the Unity Engine. Most characters and environment pieces have a high roughness value or no specularity because I wanted the game to lean most on the hand painted quality rather than material fx or PBR. I made a few exceptions, and this little guy is one of them. A little highlight on his body seemed too fun to pass up.

He was also a lot of fun to design, I'll have to post some design iteration sketches.

Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »

Solo game development is definitely hard, but it seems that you are sorting it out nicely! The characters are looking pretty cute and the gameplay looks like it is blending really nice, very well polished!

I'm curious to see how the tower defense mechanic works on an open world! Will check it out!

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »

Thank you! Yes it's definitely hard. My past work during my career in the industry has helped a lot but trying to create and finish a game on my own makes me feel like a beginner all over again. There's always so much to learn.
I'm glad that I fooled you into thinking I've sorted it out nicely haha.

I appreciate the support!

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »

Some early wandering concepts of the pet robot. There are others but they're really messy. None of these seemed expressive enough. He needed more personality as well as a harmless look.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 11:07:56 AM »

Fluffy pet owl. When making hime I liked his little purple feet.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 04:52:17 PM »

Some current gameplay screenshots. The environment prefabs have been fun to fit together like legos creating different obstacles and things to run around in.

wuhu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »

Looks great!
Big fan of the action/tower defense hybrid genre.
Will follow on steam.
Moriny
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »

The visuals looks really like DOTA2. Beautiful.
SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »

Thanks you two, DOTA 2 was the main visual inspiration actually. I also loved the look of Dawn Gate... which isn't really a thing anymore.
I like the second to second action & movement strategy of MOBAs, but I also like exploring and tower defense so why not try to marry the three. It's been an on going challenge for sure, but still a lot of fun.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »

Streaming content in and out using Unity

For anyone using Unity curious about something simple like streaming content in and out here's one way it can be done.

Streaming can mean different things in games but in this case I'm just activating and deactivating objects on the fly.
Here's a gif showing it in action, from top down | player perspectives (using some gameplay abilities just to get around quicker)

The player has a collider tagged "Vision" spanning roughly the same area as seen by the player camera.

Attached to this "Vision" collider is a rigid body with continuous collision detection as well as a script telling it to activate & deactivate the child of any object with a collider tagged "World Manager Env" upon entering and exiting respectively.

Why the child and not the main object? because if you deactivate the main object then it's gone and can't be detected again. Parenting all environment assets to a parent object means that the parent is always active and ready to act when touched.

Here are some of the "World Manager Env" collider objects (no rigid body needed) holding large environment pieces as children. (Didn't select all pieces or the screen shot would look like a mess.) Just make sure that the colliders almost fully engulf all environment geometry or else you'll see rocks and trees pop into existence as you run.

I also had a script run on all  "World Manager Env" collider objects individually saying on start to check if they are touching the players "vision" collider, if so then stay activated. If not then after .1 secs deactivate. This allows me to always have all environments visible while working but the necessary ones deactivate or activate as soon as I run the game.

Not sure how confusing that was. If you're confused it is probably my fault for not writing it well.
Thanks,

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »

A prefab environment piece from an area in the game i call the "Black Desert"
Environment color palettes have been a lot of fun to pick out.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »

A prefab environment piece from a rocky forest area.
Sticking mostly to red, pink and green in this env. Used Maya, Photoshop and Unity.

All background environment assets that I have made so far are sharing one 2048x2048 texture in Unity to cut down on draw calls.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 03:16:14 PM »

Prefab environment piece from a green forest area.
Used Maya, Photoshop and Unity.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »

A friend drew me a concept for an enemy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:01:24 PM by SwizzleLLC » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic