Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 04:16:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMr. Donovan - The worlds first SOBO
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Mr. Donovan - The worlds first SOBO  (Read 2253 times)
SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »

Doodling future pet concepts

Solo Indie Developer working on Mr. Donovan
Mr. Donovan|Steam Page|@MrDonovanGame
SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 10:53:56 AM »

Ball Lightning Can morph and gain power as you use it depending upon your needs. It's quite fun to take a stroll while surrounded by dangerous orbs of lightning.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »

Sneak peek of an environment I'm finishing now. Lot's of fun to build and play in so far, though the one enemy in this area is pretty difficult. I think that gathering resources quickly as you run from him may be the strategy of choice for most.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »

The Absorption Sphere drains oxygen from enemies and restores your HP for every point drained, if you can catch it on it's way back.

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »

I'm loving that blue cube environment! Nice to see a game like this mix things up for once.  Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 01:32:05 PM »

Wow thank you!  Gentleman That's exactly how I feel when playing games. Like they don't play with color quite as often as I would like so that's what I'm going for. I can't wait to get more environment ideas from on paper in to the game.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »

Another fun environment in the game. Working on more variations of it as well. Why not go pink?

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »

More of the owl please
SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »

More of the owl please

Will do! I'm leaving town for a few days in the morning but I'll post more info and maybe an animation break down of the owl when I get back next week.  Gentleman

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »

Posting to follow this topic. Owl looks rad.

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »

A closer look at the owl

There are two different types of owls in the game at the moment. A normal owl (light color) and an ultra owl (dark color) just so that you're not confused by seeing both randomly in this post.

Let's start with references

I used these references (as well as a few others from the innernets) to make sure that I got basic proportions, eyes, feather growth direction and that certain special owl quality right.

Modeling

When modeling I didn't need to give him actual eye's that could rotate because he would be so small on the screen the player wouldn't notice, so I just painted them on.
I tried to keep him as low poly as possible while still giving him enough geometry to smoothly bend and flex like Gumby.

I also made sure to paint some thin rectangular feather strips out in the alpha so that I didn't just rely completely upon the geo or else it would have looked too plain.

UVs

I didn't use the same UVs for the eyes because I wanted slight eye variation kind of like a dog with an eye patch color.

I wanted the feathers to have some kind of layered color gradation down his body so I made them change slightly in hue from left to right and value from top to bottom as seen in the "Feather Layers" of the UVs laid over the texture.

I also like how his actual body is shaped like Mr. Peanut.

Here are the two owl type textures side by side as well as the alpha mask that they are both using.

Rigging

I made sure to blend the skin weights a lot so that when animating him he would seem very squishy squashy.

I only had one extra bone protruding from his neck that I used to animate his thick neck feathers secondary bounce animation. Through bouncing it up and down as well as rotating it to give them a look of random rustling. It was a simple fix that did the job well enough.

I needed enough bones to make the wings bend smoothly. Gave the tail two bones instead of one so that it could widen & narrow instead of only rotate. Also added that extra bone for the neck feathers but I tried to keep the bone count as low as possible considering he's only going to be about an inch in size on most peoples screens.

In-game use

Though they are rare, you can stumble across owls anywhere in the game. You never know where they might be.

Once you have captured and equipped a pet owl in the game you can just pull up a placement icon and summon him where ever you click it while in or out of battle.

The owls special ability is every now and then he will create a cloning field around him that when touched by you it will create a clone of yourself that will attract all enemy agro for a few moments allowing you to get free hits in.

Because of the relatively simple way that the owl was used in the game I really only needed to create 2 different looping animations for him; standing, and flying.

Thank you Capntastic & ProgramGamer for your interest! Not sure how many others are, but there you go Smiley
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:25:59 AM by SwizzleLLC » Logged

mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »

Interesting genre fusion and the art looks great. Nice work!  Coffee

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW