Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:36:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Cairo+Pango+SDL for cross platform UI toolkit
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cairo+Pango+SDL for cross platform UI toolkit  (Read 1361 times)
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »

I've been looking for a good cross platform UI toolkit (just simple widgets with inputs) for tooling and stuff, but there doesn't appear to be anything lightweight and reliable.

So I was thinking of just hacking together something simple with SDL, Cairo and Pango. I noticed though that Pango depends on glib from GTK+, which makes me wonder if that'll cause problems on Windows. Namely, I'm worried about the size of dependencies I'll have to bundle. I once saw a taskbar widget made with Electron, at almost 200mb. That has had me paranoid ever since.

But whatever, before I get into building a bunch of widgets, does anyone know of an existing solution? I'd prefer something with the technologies I've listed because it'd be easier to integrate with my engine. I'm also interested in making it skinnable, so no wxWidgets or anything that abstracts the native OS widgets.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »

Have you looked at dear imgui? It's lightweight, designed for game tooling especially embedded tools. My preferred solution for everything that needs ui at least for debugging and tools.

https://github.com/ocornut/imgui
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »

Yeah, but it's hard to re-skin that one. I'd like to have something more concrete and extensible, and preferably not an imgui style framework. Imguis are great for a game loop, but a bit inappropriate when you don't need one.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »

Yeah, but it's hard to re-skin that one. I'd like to have something more concrete and extensible, and preferably not an imgui style framework. Imguis are great for a game loop, but a bit inappropriate when you don't need one.

Agreed on the skinning issue. I found it to be pretty easy to extend though and you can set it up to work with a more traditional ui event loop.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »

CeGUI?

http://cegui.org.uk/

If you do end up trying it let me know. I've had a blind spot on that framework.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic