Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:07:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAces Wild, baby!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Aces Wild, baby!  (Read 39335 times)
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »

Can't wait! This is easily one of the more impressive games I've seen on here. I'm definitely looking forward to the next demo, keep up the good work!

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »

Thanks a lot, you guys!
Both indiePub and Dream Build Play have competitions coming up so expect some more demos in the coming months!
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2010, 04:01:11 AM »

Aw man, I am loving the music and art of this game. I remember seeing it way back and it still looked rockin then. I'd back this for DBP 2011 definitely man, get stuck in!

Looking forward to playing this little beauty.

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2011, 12:53:49 AM »

Thanks, man!

You guys can check out an unoffical/debug release
here...

I'll try to keep current builds under that link and official demos/releases under another. Expect that official one some time in February!
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »

Hey all!
Here's a quick vid showing off the first area in Aces Wild. If you'd like your art displayed in the game at the museum in the game, let me know!

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2011, 10:27:30 PM »

Holy hell, that's looking pretty damn sexy.  Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2011, 10:16:46 AM »

I can't wait either!
Remember the latest debug build is always available at

http://www.tylerdoak.com/aw_debug.zip
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »

Aces Wild is a semi-finalist in the newest indiePub competition!
Wish us luck!
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »

*Sigh* I'm the only one who comes here anymore...

Didn't win anything at the indiePub competition, but it was nice to be a semi-finalist.

Here's a new build for an in-progress of the first stage, if you're so inclined.

http://tylerdoak.com/aw_debug.zip

You may need to download .NET 4.0 or something like that. I'm not sure yet as I recently updated to XNA 4.0.
Ququman
Level 0

May the power of prinnies be with you.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2011, 08:18:25 AM »

You're not alone to come here !
The game looks good, haven't played it yet but the videos make me want to :D
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »

Hi Kicks!  I think I might have mentioned this elsewhere on the forum a while back (but I've lost track of the message and wasn't sure if you responded)... you're Kicks from .org right?  I remember you left me really nice feedback on my game (Melolune, formerly Blue Star), thanks for that ^_^

Anyways, I wanted to let you know that I checked out your game and it's a lot of fun!  The player control is good, and the fighting feels very smooth and fluid (which is super important in these types of games).  I think the particle effects really help make each move feel very exciting and powerful, hehe... The whole thing reminds me a lot of Super Smash Bros. (which is a total compliment).  Oh, and I loved the music.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated!

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:23 PM »

Thanks, guys! I wanna say I wasn't fishing for compliments, but maybe subconsciously I was!

@supershigi
Yeah that's me from rmxp.org! It seems sorta familiar that you messaged me, but I can't remember if I replied. Sorry if I didn't!
I gave feedback on your game because it was looking really solid way back when. I look forward to playing yours again when I get out of crunch.
Thanks for your support!
Xishem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »

From how far I can get, this is really amazing!

However, is there a rundown of controls, or even about combos, anywhere? Maybe it's just that I suck this bad at fighting games, but I'm getting pummeled down to almost 0 health every time by the first enemy. Excuse me if there is one located in the thread, but I read through the first page or so and couldn't find anything.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2011, 03:01:16 AM »

From how far I can get, this is really amazing!

However, is there a rundown of controls, or even about combos, anywhere? Maybe it's just that I suck this bad at fighting games, but I'm getting pummeled down to almost 0 health every time by the first enemy. Excuse me if there is one located in the thread, but I read through the first page or so and couldn't find anything.

I believe the offensive system mainly goes:

Combo (x1-5) > Smash > Pursue (~> Combo)

Combo racks up some damage, and Smash knocks them away. Then the "Pursue" is like the Dragon Punch/Flying Kick, meant to catch the enemies as they're flying away; and a well-timed Combo as it connects lets you continue pummeling them into submission. Just watch the other enemies around you, lest they catch you with your back turned.

Dodge and Dash are strictly for mobility purposes, and timed attack-avoidance. Successfully avoiding an attack with "Dodge" lets you interrupt it with another action; but "whiffing" one leaves you open, instead. You can also combo either one off of a successful attack, like "Combo (x3) > Dash > Combo (x4) on another enemy," or "Combo (x2) > Smash (look out!) > Dodge (a shuriken/kunai, successfully) > Pursue."

Jump is pretty self-explanatory; and is used mainly in conjunction with Dash for the platforming elements.

I suggest in button setup, putting "Combo | Smash | Pursue" like you would LP | MP | HP, so you have a straight left-to-right button flow; and then placing "Dodge | Jump | Dash" as you would a LK | MK | HK; although the order of those could be affected by how you prefer controls in a game like MegaMan X.

Takes a little getting used to. But Kicks, try to AVOID putting in a tutorial level - keep these players learning the tricks the hard way! It's so much more fun like that! D/L'ing the new demo as I type, btw!  Hand Fork Left Ninja Hand Knife Right

EDIT: Oh yeah! I'd forgotten, since it was a few weeks ago, and just before I went to bed - maybe you DON'T have to fix the enemy-spawning... you can simply "timer" the levels to keep the pressure on the player to perform well, and to make sure they DON'T camp at the start of the level and just "wait" for enemies to get to them...

Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:11:02 AM by baconman » Logged

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2011, 09:02:14 AM »

There's still a long ways to go with designing the combat, enemies and stages.
Baconman gave a great rundown though.

I'm also thinking about changing the combat nomenclature a bit. Specifically Smash > Crash. I feel like it fits better and can safely remove some references to other games.
But if it's Crash attacks, then I might change Combo to Rapid so they don't have the same starting letter.

Wild adds some damage to all of your attacks. If it gets high, you will also receive more damage.

Rapid attacks are for damaging a single enemy quickly (though you can catch multiple enemies with it). It also builds up your Wild quickly. If you land a hit, you can control your trajectory as you pummel the enemy and increase your velocity as you land more hits and build Wild.

Crash attacks are for knocking enemies away, damaging multiple enemies and using the environment as a weapon. You can knock enemies into one another. Knock enemies into the environment for damage or bonuses. Or you can crash the environment into enemies. If you follow up Crash attacks with Rapid attacks, you'll build up bonuses more quickly. Add another Crash attack and you'll earn more still. Crash attacks use up your Wild to increase the damage they deal. Each Crash attack has special properties and can yield special bonuses.

Pursuit (I might steal this name, Baconman!) attacks are for striking multiple enemies and traveling quickly. They use up Wild too, but can build it as you strike enemies or breakable objects. You can get a large pursuit if there are lots of things to hit.

Probably gonna get Throws and Slams back in at some point.

A couple new attacks were added the other day: A breakdance attack and a double axe-handle (where you link your fingers together to make a big fist). Both of them were developed to allow you to attack and reposition yourself and the enemy in ways other moves can't. The double axe handle allows you to leapfrog over enemies and send them flying under you. The breakdance attack allows you to attack on both sides and move to different areas around the enemy during it.

Finally there will be Wild attacks. They are special attacks that require you to build up some Wild first. Likely, you'll pick one from several at the start of each level. These will have very unique effects like big strong attacks, cloning techniques, a dash that leaves a trail of fire, etc...

Also expect more dance moves to taunt the enemy and make your combos more flashy.

It seems a bit complicated, but the basic idea is to use Rapid attacks to pummel enemies and use Crash attacks to knock them into hazards. As you get better and require more functionality, delve into other attack types to fit your needs.

Knocking enemies into the environment generally yields a bit of life gain as well.

The different attack types will make more sense once enemy and level designs get better.

(also lots of this is in the middle of being implemented so just hold on a bit longer!)

Big update coming in June for Dream Build Play so Stay Tuned!

PS EDIT

Also, I'm still desperately seeking playtesters of all skill levels. There's a website called WeGame.com. They have a downloadable client that allows free recording of games at a good quality. I use it for my vids. If you're feeling generous, please try the latest build and record yourself playing it and send the vid to me or to youtube. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:48:40 AM by Kicks » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2011, 11:14:28 PM »

Turbo > Crash > Pursuit: The "teacup" technique? You know... I like that breakdance/axe-smash approach too... perhaps you could make that something you can power up into; or a totally different player style (builds "wild" slower in exchange for enhanced mobility/coverage this way) or even character? (Even a simple pallete-swap; popular games do that all the time! SMB, SF, MK, tons of 'em.)

You could also make a style/character based on Grapple/Submission (Turbo) > Slam (Crash) > Throw (sort of a "reverse Pursuit?"), too. Or a Slam (Turbo) > Throw (Crash) > Tackle (Pursuit)... I think I like that second setup better, because Slam can be compounded like Turbo and cover some space around you, and the Throw/Tackle combo is as fun and approachable as the Crash/Pursuit is.

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »

Whoa! My last post was in March!?

Anyways... Since then I've been working on Aces Wild pretty non-stop. I just submitted it to Dream Build Play, so wish me luck!

You all can check it out here...

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:25:04 PM by Kicks » Logged
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »

Heya!!!
A new build of Aces Wild is available HERE!

A new vid of the the build of Aces Wild is available

Website (kinda) with controls can be seen HERE!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:29:01 PM by Kicks » Logged
verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »

The backgrounds are amazing.

It's all good.
dub
Level 0

qnp

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:45 AM »

Seems like a pretty fun game. I quite like these sorts of over-the-top beat 'em ups.
I haven't played a whole lot of it though yet.

My one gripe is that it seems you can only use the analogue sticks.

I prefer to use the d-pad with games like this. I tried using something like joy2key to bind the arrow keys to the d-pad (which works in most games which force you to use the analogue sticks) but apparently the arrow keys don't work. I'm guessing the game detects if you have a controller plugged in and then stops you using the keyboard?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic