Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:06:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to license a gamedev tool?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to license a gamedev tool?  (Read 867 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2017, 03:56:36 AM »

I've been working on a JavaScript thing for displaying ANSI-ish graphics in the browser using WebGL, in a way that's pretty simple and doesn't require a dev to know anything about WebGL. And from the search I did trying to find a tool like this to use myself I don't think there's anything like this out there yet. I initially was just making it to support my own game idea but I realized I have something really cool here that other people might want to use.

And I can really use money. But I've never released a code thing I did on my own as a commercial product before, and I have no idea what I'm really getting into.

I'm seriously considering making this free for noncommercial use, but requiring licenses for commercial use. My thought has been to allow small indie devs to license for rev share, and to also provide a flat fee option for anyone who prefers to do it that way, and buying a license would come with support using the tool.

Has anyone done this sort of thing for gamedev tools before? What do I need to know?
WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:18:27 AM »

I have not, so take everything I write with a grain of salt. But no one else has replied, so I thought maybe I can help you think it through.

For starters, I'd just choose a licence and put it up on git. If you expect people to pay when used in a business context, you should probably:
1. have somewhere for them to pay (paypal is nice, but some people have been screwed by them, so investigate)
2. start a company to handle the income (if and what form depends on your country)
3. be prepared to handle support

Rev share sounds complicated.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic