Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:31:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhy not greenlit ???
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Why not greenlit ???  (Read 1873 times)
dennsurfsk8
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »

Hi Guys !! Why my new game after so long has not yet been approved? I have 2,500 + YES votes , someone can help me and tell me what the problem, I'm ready to launch this game, even the games are ready, I keep improving it and already has many Levels, this game have a very fun local-coop...

You can see the status of the game in the image below

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_A1sxgXYAAVAu_.jpg:large
WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:12:50 AM »

That's totally up to Steam to decide. The number of votes are arbitrary.

Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:49:27 PM »

Your first LSDriver game did not get favorable attention. Perhaps Steam wants to avoid that happening a second time?

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
redredred
Level 0

Colorful worlds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »

Your trailer made my eyes hurt.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 05:45:32 PM »

Well Greenlight has been killed for good now, so the good news it will only cost you $100 to get your game onto Steam. Whether I would honestly want to see it there is another story.

Have you looked into itch.io?

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 03:17:53 PM »

Well Greenlight has been killed for good now, so the good news it will only cost you $100 to get your game onto Steam. Whether I would honestly want to see it there is another story.

Have you looked into itch.io?

What do you mean? Greenlight is going to be on for a while. Valve said their new system will take time.

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 03:46:38 PM »

What do you mean? Greenlight is going to be on for a while. Valve said their new system will take time.

Umm.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1265922321514182595
Steam Direct launches the 13th of June and Greenlight submissions are already off.
redredred
Level 0

Colorful worlds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 11:34:45 PM »

I think this is good overall, I suppose. No shovelware popularity contests.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:53:06 PM »

Instead it's shovelware auto-accept from now on. Yeah for progress!

Valve is so super filthy rich that I simply don't accept their claims of being unable to manually perform quality control.

This is going to be AppStore over and over again - flooded by shitty games by entitled noobs thinking that they somehow deserve their shit to be visible to the public. What happened to the cool kids coding stuff for fun in their spare time, like in the 90s? Today everyone is talking about monetarisation first.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
bartread
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 02:50:02 AM »

What happened to the cool kids coding stuff for fun in their spare time, like in the 90s? Today everyone is talking about monetarisation first.

I think a big part of the problem nowadays is that so many people have piled into game dev and everybody thinks they're going to get rich. It sort of reminds me of the situation in the run up to the 1983 video game crash in the US. Fundamentally there are also just a lot more people online nowadays: the internet has become entirely mainstream, whereas in the 90s it was perhaps much more a place inhabited by more fringey groups (nerds, academics, enthusiasts). It's a slightly sad and cynical viewpoint but my perception is that - at least with a lot of interests - things are often to some extent ruined for those who are really passionate about them as soon as they become too mainstream.

And on that cheerful thought... back to work. Smiley
VampireSquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »

This isn't good at all.

I think the 83 crash is probably not a bad comparison.  Except won't this be worse?  Much, much lower barrier to entry now.  You just need a computer and $100.  Maybe a better comparison is the app store?  That is sort of my fear, that the price point to steam games is quickly going to hit $0.99 or maybe just $0.  Right now people are still able to charge $5-20, not sure if that will be sustainable.
Fun Infused Games
Level 1

Games so good you could hang your hat on them.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »

I'm leaning towards wanting to go higher on Steam (I've released $1, $2, and $3 titles in the past). With so much on Steam, there are a limited number of people willing to play your game or that will really buy into your game. It feels like you'll do better if you go with a reasonable price and get just those players that really like your game vs a cheap price and trying to make up for it on volume.

My last release on Steam, Bad Caterpillar, was my most sold Steam game. At $1, it was also my least profitable game (I've since moved the price up to $2). Going forward I won't be releasing anything less than $5 and maybe $10 on Steam.

I'm hoping the $100 per game fee reduces some of the clutter. Do the really obvious clone games and BS games make $100? Before it was $50 and you could release as many titles as you want. If a game can't make over $100, it simply is no longer worth releasing it.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 09:25:27 AM »

I'm leaning towards wanting to go higher on Steam (I've released $1, $2, and $3 titles in the past). With so much on Steam, there are a limited number of people willing to play your game or that will really buy into your game. It feels like you'll do better if you go with a reasonable price and get just those players that really like your game vs a cheap price and trying to make up for it on volume.

My last release on Steam, Bad Caterpillar, was my most sold Steam game. At $1, it was also my least profitable game (I've since moved the price up to $2). Going forward I won't be releasing anything less than $5 and maybe $10 on Steam.

I'm hoping the $100 per game fee reduces some of the clutter. Do the really obvious clone games and BS games make $100? Before it was $50 and you could release as many titles as you want. If a game can't make over $100, it simply is no longer worth releasing it.
Haven't released a game on Steam, but seen many comments that validate your approach.  Go for "value" rather than volume.  Seen many "The price seemed too low.  I thought the game was a shovelware or intended for card farming".  If the game is "good", there'll be people willing to pay for the "value". 

As VampireSquid pointed out, whether the current prices of $5 - $20 will be sustainable or not will be a good question.  My guess is that for "good" games, the price will remain.  Much like "good" games can go for more than the minimum $0.99 on the App stores.  Also, the price difference between Steam (computer games) vs App stores (mobile) games have been there.  Will be interesting to see in 5-10 years what will happen.

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

That's totally up to Steam to decide. The number of votes are arbitrary.

True Story

My last game:

Supporter of
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic