Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:22:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStar Specter
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Star Specter  (Read 5661 times)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »

Been meaning to add some more farm stuff to the agriculture stage. This harvester turned out a bit jaggy but it kind of works. Hopefully the front wheel doesn't look too similar to the wheel in Dragster on the Atari. I may end up touching up the sprite a bit and maybe changing it too the same green as the foreground so it can be more of a level obstacle like the giant octopus in the other stage rather than a large enemy.

I'm thinking you'd jump and shoot the top of it a few times to destroy it which would also slow it down temporarily each time it's hit. And the front wheel would deflect your shots.

I'm also tempted to make an Atari mode at some point that feels a bit more authentic palette wise.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:44:50 PM by SolS » Logged

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 01:48:08 AM »

So the agriculture stage has been bothering me a bit at times. I feel like I need to find a way to add some more shadows or detail to the overly smooth looking foreground. Something that makes it look a little less cartoonish or toy like since I sometimes get that vibe from looking at it. I know the extra bright colors in that stage is part of it but the colors should be fine, even with the blue sky background, as long as there's more detail and contrast to give it a more serious look like the other stages. Adding some indoor sections with a black background will definitely help the stage's overall tone and will add some variety so that's a start.

Then there are some mockups that have too much shadow/detail that make the art a little too busy like the mockup on the right I previously posted. I'm thinking that I need to touch up either mock up slightly, mix some of the bits of the foreground just to at least get a better vision of what something in between the two styles could look like. Or maybe it doesn't matter if the art is a bit inconsistent between stages, either way I'd still like the agriculture stage to have a slightly less cartoonish feel to it so I'll continue to experiment with that.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:06:54 AM by SolS » Logged

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 03:26:40 AM »

Well the harvester definitely looked less strange against a black background but it wasn't just that, I knew it lacked the detail most other enemies had so after many attempts I've finally got an improved harvester!

Before and after:
-----
-----

The new one might be a little too busy, or maybe it just looks that way since I'm so used to seeing the other version

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »

Making some progress!

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 10:39:12 AM »

beautiful, again.
let's see where you take this Smiley

so good

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »

I saw this in the GIFs thread, looks very nice. I'm a like your pixel art and how you use these strong colours.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 06:19:41 PM »

Thanks! Glad you both like the look of this game as well!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

Made a mockup today of another area deep in the medical stage. Not sure yet if I like the stars

Here's a few weird variations

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 06:02:56 AM »

Made a mockup for the intro. The lab where you were created

zizulot
Level 0

ZIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 06:06:22 AM »

Atari on steroids :D  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »

@zizulot - hah, glad you like it!

I was testing some stuff earlier today. This might be a good first screen for the stage.

I'll add more to the explosions at some point and maybe slow down the animation a bit as well.

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »

This looks really cool, even cooler than your other (the alien wasp thingie game). I second the statement that your use of color is great. Good stuff, really.
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »

I really like your art style! Reminds me of the Intellivision ganes!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 11:46:41 PM »

Thank you both very much! I'm taking a bit of a break on this one while I work on other things but I'll definitely come back to this soon

Here's a random event that might happen at some point in the game. Mostly just an experimental mockup though

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2018, 04:50:58 AM »

Is that thing supposed to be a boss enemy? Or some sort of special effect? Would make for a cool boss, that I can say.

By the way, if I am allowed to ask, how many colors/what color palette are you using for your game? Just wondering if you are being faithful to the Atari palette (the title suggests you aren't hehe).
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »

Probably some kind of enemy or a boss and yeah the black and white seems like a fitting effect for an atom like enemy. Maybe it could alter the gravity or something when it goes black and white.

And no there's no color limit really, I just use whatever seems to fit best.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic