Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:59:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIntrepid Izzy - action adventure platformer!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Intrepid Izzy - action adventure platformer!  (Read 6592 times)
Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:15:05 AM »

Intrepid Izzy has been funded on KickStarter!

About
Intrepid Izzy is a colourful action adventure platformer ("metroidvania") about a girl who fights monsters. Both the graphics and the gameplay are a blend of classic and modern standards.

In this game you will find a lot of classic platforming elements (spikes, springs, etc), but instead of jumping on your enemies, you fight them as you would in a beat 'em up. Upgrades to your character are not cumulative, but are linked to the costumes you wear. (More about that later in this thread.)

Systems
PC (Windows)
SEGA Dreamcast (resolution reduced to 640x480)
Other systems under investigation

Team
Roel (that's me): design, graphics, animations and programming
Black Device: music

Technology
Intrepid Izzy runs on a completely custom-made engine, written in C. The animations and levels are created with custom tools.

Screens (click for larger version)

Links
Intrepid Izzy
Senile Team
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:04:05 AM by Roel » Logged

cgmonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:29:35 AM »

It feels like a retro platformer with modern resolution - looks very nice!

Looking forward to seeing it in action!
Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:18:57 PM »

Thanks cgmonkey!

Intrepid Izzy features a different upgrade system than other games in the genre. Instead of gaining abilities and upgrades one by one, Izzy collects costumes. Each costume grants a set of special abilities.

In her initial outfit, Izzy's only special ability is a fireball. Wearing the vampire suit, she can collect health and spirit power from defeated enemies, as well as turn into a bat for a short amount of time. Dressed as a ninja, she uses powerful sword attacks, wall jumps and double jumps. At least 3 more costumes are planned.

As is evident from these gifs, the same animations were rendered with different "skins". This was done with a custom-made animation editor, without which this feature would not have been feasible.

Claude Ruelle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:11:25 AM »

Looks awesome, the animation is super solid!

Composer of Relaxing Life Sim Music.

www.clauderuelle.co.uk
Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »

Thank you Claude_Ruelle!

I've been working on platform behaviour for a couple days. Coded several options that can be combined to create lots of different behaviours. Here are just a few examples:

Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 05:23:46 AM »

While the PC version has full HD graphics, the Dreamcast version has half the resolution. I simply generate all the data for the Dreamcast version with a tool that scales everything down to 50%.

I made some footage of Intrepid Izzy running on the actual hardware this morning. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:28:51 PM by Roel » Logged

Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 02:58:11 AM »

I'm working on Intrepid Izzy every day, and it's progressing very well. Smiley I recently extended Izzy's abilities with a new move that can be used in several ways. That's always good because it gives you more bang for your buck! Smiley

Combo

Relocate your enemies

Smash them into the ceiling for more damage

Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 12:00:30 AM »

Demonstration of my custom animation software in action! Smiley

-edit-
Wow, it took only 5 tries to get the video working here. ^_^;

Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »

Izzy has a voice now! A friend took the role of voice actress. She didn't have any experience in this, but I think she did a good job. We recorded plenty of samples, so they can be played at random, thus preventing repetitiveness. Also the selection algorithm never plays the same one twice in a row.

I added an audio capturing feature into the game engine just to be able to make this video. Fortunately that was quite easy to do, as I also wrote the audio mixing code myself. Smiley

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 11:19:17 PM »

I like the Izzy's design and the bat form is super cute. Good luck with the project!  Coffee
psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 08:55:45 AM »

This looks really great.  Your animation editing tool looks like it'd be harder to make than coding the game itself!
Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »

Thank you both!

Well I guess this is another case where appearances can be deceiving. The animation editor took only a small fraction of the time I spent on coding the game. The fact that the editor was built with a framework (NWJS) while the game was coded entirely from scratch certainly plays a role here, but even so, I can assure you that the game is vastly more complex than the animator. Wink

Also, here's a tiny pixel Izzy just for fun:

Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 08:13:59 AM »

Although I was not present on this year's GamesCom myself, I was still able to get a playable demo of Intrepid Izzy (Dreamcast version) on display, thanks to Retrospiel!

Also, I've recently added some new moves to the game! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Meanwhile Izzy has hundreds of animation frames per costume. I think I've actually animated more for this one game than I have in the rest of my life! Still having fun with it though! Grin

Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 02:44:02 AM »

Launching on KickStarter tomorrow, after months of hard work! Wish me luck!

rebelholic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:40 AM »

Sadly I can't launch the kickstarter campaign on my country  Cheesy. Good luck for you

Feel free give feedback:
Fearless Tigor Devlog
Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »

Sadly I can't launch the kickstarter campaign on my country  Cheesy. Good luck for you

Aw, that's a shame. It wasn't available here (in the Netherlands) for a long time either. Let's hope KickStarter will take more steps towards being a truly international podium - they still have a looong way to go...

Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 12:28:12 AM »

Oh my goodness, I was so busy with the Kickstarter launch yesterday that I didn't even get around to updating this thread!

Anyway, good news everyone! We're off to a promising start, getting 18% funded in the first 24 hours. Smiley

Trailer video (I also put it in the first post, hope that's ok):

You can support us here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/senileteam/intrepid-izzy-pc-dreamcast-ps4

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:35:40 AM by Roel » Logged

Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »

Made some new stuff this week!

Enemy designs

Stackable octopuses

Roel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 04:22:07 AM »

Made two time-lapse videos of the drawing process:

PypeBros
Level 0

Simplest, but not Simpler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 11:55:31 PM »

I love the backgrounds, I can't get convinced by the characters (yet). I'll need more thought about it to be more precise about why.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic