Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:35:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSavage Vessels - Teleglitch-like Space Shooter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Savage Vessels - Teleglitch-like Space Shooter  (Read 22859 times)
KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 07:05:45 AM »

@filbs111
Glad to hear that you like it! Smiley
And thanks for your thoughts! Indeed the flickering is distracting. The possible solution you describe is AFAIK how the field of view is done in Teleglitch.
But I always wanted a more pixel orientated way: the FOV should be shaped by the silhouette of the objects. I like the look & feel. And this is indeed one of the challenges that have driven me.
Nevertheless, I have good news: I found a way to almost remove the flickering by calculating and rendering intermediate steps. The evidence is still pending: a new video is comming soon.

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 12:08:33 AM »

From Field Of View to Fluid Of View.

As announced, I have to show some changes to the FOV.
Problem: the lines of sight did not move continuously around the player, but they jumped in fixed increments from sector to sector. This led to flicker, the more, the greater the distance from the player.
Solution: every line of sight (in it's sector) does not simply turn on/off or adjust immediately it's length to an obstacle, but it is changed by some simple non-linear interpolation (the more the distance, the greater the change).

I found out, thas this looks very natural or even like a fluid. To me it was a kind of discovery - more than a solution to a problem.
To come to an end, the FOV is no longer an optical but a visual thing. So it does not simply show a shadow, as if the player would be a candle, but it reminds how the player perceives the situation, in terms of attention, delay of processing etc.

Romain Rope
Level 0

Game Audio SwissArmy Knife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 01:10:11 AM »

From Field Of View to Fluid Of View.

As announced, I have to show some changes to the FOV.
Problem: the lines of sight did not move continuously around the player, but they jumped in fixed increments from sector to sector. This led to flicker, the more, the greater the distance from the player.
Solution: every line of sight (in it's sector) does not simply turn on/off or adjust immediately it's length to an obstacle, but it is changed by some simple non-linear interpolation (the more the distance, the greater the change).

I found out, thas this looks very natural or even like a fluid. To me it was a kind of discovery - more than a solution to a problem.
To come to an end, the FOV is no longer an optical but a visual thing. So it does not simply show a shadow, as if the player would be a candle, but it reminds how the player perceives the situation, in terms of attention, delay of processing etc.

This "fluid of view" is really nice. Very organic.
What's your plan regarding this "fluid" visual?

Good work though Smiley

ROMAIN ROPE

Sound Designer / Composer
ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Zombie Night Terror @ZN_Terror
Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »

Thanks! Grin

The plan: enemies and usefull items are hidden in this "fluid". While searching for items, the player can suddenly encounter an enemy. So the shape and dynamic of this boundary between the visibel and the hidden is relevant. It should look and feel quite natural and not distract the player.

Romain Rope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 12:13:15 AM »

Thanks! Grin

The plan: enemies and usefull items are hidden in this "fluid". While searching for items, the player can suddenly encounter an enemy. So the shape and dynamic of this boundary between the visibel and the hidden is relevant. It should look and feel quite natural and not distract the player.

Ok Thanks.

I like how they handle this in "Darkwood" with a blur effect.

ROMAIN ROPE

ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 03:32:56 AM »

Me too! Smiley

... and since you mentioned it: I have thought about soft shadows or penumbra or what you call it. I have thought about it in combination with this "fluid" of course. And I think it would be too expensive for me (time & energy). Perhaps it is even not doable at all.
 -- Back to work  Coffee

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 11:51:33 PM »

Gameplay video

You see an unfinished version of the first level (the first out of ten and more) including two kinds of mostly harmless opponents with melee weapons.
Both enemies are mining robots under normal circumstances. The bigger one with the saw is called "termite" and the small one has a pair of chisels.
It's a playthrough. The player must visit all three nav points (big circles) in order to determine his position. After that he can return to his carrier and fly to the next level.
You will notice, that you can "send" your opponents into the void (the blue surrounding force field) by making evasive maneuvers. This is the recommended way to save ammunition and - because I want to make a Teleglitch in space - it's a substitute for the stabbing in Teleglitch.

Romain Rope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 03:33:11 AM »

Me too! Smiley

... and since you mentioned it: I have thought about soft shadows or penumbra or what you call it. I have thought about it in combination with this "fluid" of course. And I think it would be too expensive for me (time & energy). Perhaps it is even not doable at all.
 -- Back to work  Coffee

Just keep it simple Smiley

Gameplay video

You will notice, that you can "send" your opponents into the void (the blue surrounding force field) by making evasive maneuvers. This is the recommended way to save ammunition and - because I want to make a Teleglitch in space - it's a substitute for the stabbing in Teleglitch.

It's very smart to use player movement as a weapon.
Also, it could be fun to have a limited amount of "shockwave" to throw them in the void as a last resort. (maybe only from the back?)

ROMAIN ROPE

ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2017, 01:43:34 AM »

It's very smart to use player movement as a weapon.

Thanks! Let's hope that most players will have fun with this tricky "weapon".

Also, it could be fun to have a limited amount of "shockwave" to throw them in the void as a last resort. (maybe only from the back?)

I definitely keep this in mind.
Now I want to talk about another gadget. It is the stimulans from Teleglitch, which increases your movement speed. In Savage Vessels I want to recreate this. But I think, increasing the speed isn't very helpful in SV for obvious reasons ... So I decided to switch to bullet time instead:

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 11:31:52 PM »

Please let ut know when there will be a rough demo to try!

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 12:48:52 AM »

Please let ut know when there will be a rough demo to try!

A few more weeks ...  Smiley

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 10:32:15 AM »

About placing the nav points

Recap: the player has to visit three nav points before he can return to his carrier and complete the level.
I wanted a certain distance between the carrier and the nav points as well as between the nav points themselves. So I decided to place the nav points at the edge of a level. The algorithm circumnavigates the level (red line). It counts the steps, quarters the result and drops one nav point every quarter.

It is possibel (and wanted) that a nav point is entirely in the void.

In this case the player has to push an asteroid or wreck. The chunk hast to be big enough to deform the void.

The player moves near by the asteroid/wreck and reaches the nav point.

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 06:32:19 AM »

So I made a demo build (PC, Windows).

Download on itch.io

I would be glad, if you could give it a try and tell me your opinion.
I'm particulary keen to reach some teleglitch players.

Warning: some people may be affected by motion sickness.

The contents of the enclosed readme.txt:

Moving and Combat

WASD .................... ahead, back, strafe left/right
Mouse left/right ........ turn (steering wheel)
LMB ..................... fire weapon / use item
R ....................... reload manually

Map

TAB ..................... map mode on/off
Mouse ................... move map
Mouse wheel ............. zoom map

Inventory

Mouse wheel ............. scroll inventory (= choose weapon/item)
SPC ..................... pick up item
Q ....................... drop item
E (hold) + mouse wheel .. move item

Crafting

C ....................... crafting mode on/off
Mouse wheel ............. scroll recipes
LMB ..................... craft item

Menu

ESC ..................... ingame menu

Instructions

- visit 3 yellow nav points, then return to carrier and land
- outmaneuver or shoot hostile vessels
- avoid the blue force field
- use your map to navigate
- search for items and craft usefull stuff
- push large asteroids to deform force field and reach nav points in void

Demo content

4 Enemies, from tiny to large
- chisel
- termite
- mover
- driller

Items (selection)

- mg (simple, low rate of fire)
- nailgun (more damage and less range, recipe: mg + tube + hardware)
- cangun (single-use weapon with huge damage, recipe: empty barrel + RDX 500 + nailbox)
- oil barrel (repair)
- repair kit 25, repair kit 50
- RDX 250 (explosive)

OpenAL (Open Audio Library)

If OpenAL isn't yet installed on your PC, then you can either launch oalinst.exe in the main folder or download the installer for yourself:
https://www.openal.org/downloads/
(OpenAL 1.1 Windows Installer)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:07:50 AM by KPas » Logged

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 08:11:02 AM »

Recent changes after first feedback from playable demo:

A) Inventory: UI and items don't imitate Teleglitch (well ...)
Hit points (HP) and ammunition (Am) moved to the top. Labeling changed.
Color scheme changed; healing is green, scrap is gray. Color values changed also.
Adapting items: nails > rods, nailgun > rodgun for example (WIP).

B) Nav points not in void
Nav points are most likely not located in the void any more. But still possible.

C) Force field is more readable and predictable
The force field has vertical and horizontal edges alternating. The horizontal edges circle the center of the force field, the vertical ones point towards it. These vertical edges are under tension usually. If this is the case they are colored green now.
Force field resolution doubled.
Elongated objects no longer disturb the force field in such an extent when being swallowed up.

D) Line(s) of fire (well, hard to see)
The LOF is colored yellow while reloading. When ammo is empty it is flashing.
If two or more weapons are mounted, the lines can be focused: F (hold) + mousewheel.

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 12:52:41 AM »

I tried to write down the background story which I have in mind. The game should have "lore" to discover, I think. So I've gathered some proper tropes ...

Background

The Taiko Mining Corporation sends out a fleet of automatized space freighters and robot vessels. Their purpose is to find resources, build quarters for pioneers to follow and to protect against eventual alien forces.

While cruising through hyperspace a freak accident occurs. The fleet falls back in normal space, but there is an asteroid field. The freighters merge with the stones in accordance with the so-called Escher law; it looks as if a five-dimensonal being had reassembled freighter modules and asteroid segments into a piece of art.

At the scene of the accident the hyperspace intrudes into normal space. On the one hand the hyperspace bubbles seem to be attracted by the warp drives of the former freighters, on the other hand the force field of the bubbles is pushed off and deformed by large masses. However the smaller asteroids, the containers and the robot vessels are swallowed up by the hyperspace field when exposed to it.

Furthermore the AI can't interpret the conditions and proceeds to an emergency protocol. Therefor the robot vessels became savage; they fight any intruder by all available means in order to protect the estate of the corporation. At least this is what the corporation declares.

Addendum 1: Hyperspace force field (void)

The void doesn't react instantly to masses, but it pulsates with a certain beat. Also parts of it show different color temperatures when assimilating objects or stretching. Research is pending.

Addendum 2: Robot vessels

Some decades ago mankind was at war with a civilization of space travelling robots, the so-called Drone Swarm. After the war, many captured robots were dedicated to corporations in order to exploit them for the public benefit.
The Taiko Mining Corporation turned them into a workforce. They removed the plasma weapons and retooled them for their purposes. The alien AI is very autonomous but considered to be rebellious sometimes.
The robot vessels convoying the freighters consist of thoose retooled drones mainly. There are additional security vessels, which are former terran war ships fitted with an alien AI.

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »

Two "drillers" trying to reel me in and to bore me up close.

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 10:59:27 AM »

Oh, demo, can't wait to try it!

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »

Looks great and will look even better if that fog/blindness could be improved. The motion looks great but the grey isn't that nice. I liked the idea of blur.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 12:39:03 AM »

Oh, demo, can't wait to try it!

I'm very interested in any gameplay feedback, so thanks in advance! Smiley

Looks great and will look even better if that fog/blindness could be improved. The motion looks great but the grey isn't that nice. I liked the idea of blur.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks! Regarding this blindness: it should act natural and be unobtrusive. Anyone playing the demo should overlook it in the best case. -- But you should try it for yourself. Wink

And now: Dynamic environment.
There is already some stuff in the demo levels. I went for a sightseeing tour:

From left to right:
  • Asteroid diggers with swivel arms
  • Industrial chimney of a refinery emitting clouds of smoke
  • Freighter's jet

These elements distract the player by movement, sound and effects.
But some of them are also dangerous. The experienced player can try to trap his attackers.

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »

One thing that bothers me is that the ship propulsion jets look like glowing plastic things glued to the ship instead of glowing particles ejected with high speed. It would look much better if you either made the streams much shorter or simulated the streams as particles.

Other than that, it looks really good and it seems to get better with every update.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic