Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:26:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuppers 2 - [ cute organic real time society simulation ]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Guppers 2 - [ cute organic real time society simulation ]  (Read 2653 times)
Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2017, 12:24:17 AM »

from build 008 on 05.27.17 : star particles + falling and being-picked-up reactions

from build 009 on 05.30.17 : life and death + new unique bare tree sprites

as always you can play this for free in browser : https://fuzzgoddess.itch.io/guppers2
donate to my patreon if you'd like to support my work : http://www.patreon.com/fuzzgoddess

based on the amazing original by TNERB!
check out his work : https://tnerb.itch.io/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:11:09 AM by Devi Ever » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 12:30:17 AM »

changelog for 003 - "Society Balance"

- guppers can now farm from trees three times instead of just one
- hunger diminishes at 50% of before for both guppers and younglings
- if a gupper is over a water puddle with a certain amount of food they will plant a tree if there is not a tree there
- a gupper has to have a little more food than before to build a house

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »

Realized I had too many mechanics obfuscated and that a visual representation of what is happening with food / housing would be better.

Trying to give Guppers 2 more life... tree variation might help.

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »

>>> Play it free and in-browser! : https://fuzzgoddess.itch.io/guppers2

changelog 004 - homebuilder

- major hunger, food distribution, and home construction backend rebalance and overhaul
- once houses are built, gupper who built disappears, house builds over time, then gupper reappears once complete
- houses now store food visually
- younglings appear once house stores enough food
- guppers will create trees when they have enough food and are over a puddle but not overlapping anything else
- added tree variations
- minor tweak to ground tile graphic
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:11:47 AM by Devi Ever » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:51:19 AM »

It's about to get more dangerous for the poor guppers...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:12:00 AM by Devi Ever » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »

New build of Guppers 2 is up... I'll post changelog info later.

As always you can play this for free in browser : https://fuzzgoddess.itch.io/guppers2
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:12:15 AM by Devi Ever » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 03:27:42 AM »

As always you can play this for free in browser : https://fuzzgoddess.itch.io/guppers2

changelog 008 - stars and health

- replaced "explosion" particles with star particles when house is built or tree is planted
- guppers place tree saplings when holding enough food and walking over puddle
- added cliff edges which guppers can fall off
- added ability to manually drop guppers off cliff
- added ability to grab falling guppers
- tweaked gupper / cursor collision detection
- added gupper speech bubble reactions to being picked up
- added gupper speech bubble reactions to falling
- removed underlying health system and replaced it with a pure "food / starvation" metric
- tweaks in number of cloud / rain particles generated
- increased height rain falls
- clouds now spontaneously spawn over trees
- right clicking now generates one cloud rather than continuous cloud / rain particles

KNOWN BUGS

- younglings don't fall off cliffs
- gupper falls in front of ground when manually dropped from above
- gupper falling reaction speech bubbles appear behind lower cliffs
- bare trees graphical "stutter" back to life when wattered
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:12:25 AM by Devi Ever » Logged

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 05:44:29 AM »

AHH! This makes me wanna squeal and clap my hands together!

It's really fun and cute, but I wasn't able to make much progress... It took a long time to build my first house, and then one of the babies died from starvation. Seems hard to manage trees enough to really get houses built or prevent guppers from starving. It would be nice to know how close a gupper is to doing something like building a house (maybe some stats appear when you pick them up?).

Also, right click didn't seem to do anything for me, unless there is a delay on the rain clouds?

The comments when you pick them up are also really cute! I want to play more and see more structures, and those pink creatures!

But is it meant to be left running in the background and you check in (what I'm doing now), or are you supposed to stay and play? If stay and play, I need a little more control or structure. But it's still really fun to play around with. It's flashing me back to all the hours I spent playing Sim Tower! Makes me want to be able to give them names and stuff, too... I want to watch them make more structures! Cuteness.  Gomez Gomez Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »

AHH! This makes me wanna squeal and clap my hands together!
Gomez Gomez Gomez

It's really fun and cute, but I wasn't able to make much progress... It took a long time to build my first house, and then one of the babies died from starvation. Seems hard to manage trees enough to really get houses built or prevent guppers from starving. It would be nice to know how close a gupper is to doing something like building a house (maybe some stats appear when you pick them up?).

I agree there definitely needs to be some better indication of how each Gupper is doing in terms of the underlying "food" metric which ultimately begets houses, trees, and starvation.  I'm trying to keep the underlying mechanics relatively obtuse but intuitive... like, I think maybe if the appearance of each Gupper slightly changed might help.  Not sure yet.  I might even just have "worker guppers" appear somehow.

Also yeah... I'm still fiddling with the balance in terms of how long it takes for a house to be built.  The waiting period for the first house is definitely a little long, but once they get going they should be relatively quick and stable there-after.  Right now the game is so bare bones I figure if anything it's kinda the only reward right now for being patient and sticking with trying to care for the Guppers.

Also, right click didn't seem to do anything for me, unless there is a delay on the rain clouds?

Right now I have the auto-spawn cloud mechanics attached to manually spawning them, so you have to actually click a little above trees or the clouds won't spawn.  Will definitely fix it next update so manually spawned clouds can be placed anywhere.

The comments when you pick them up are also really cute! I want to play more and see more structures, and those pink creatures!

Thanks!  Yeah, there will be a lot more random comments coming from the guppers in relation to what they are actively doing, though I want to keep them as cryptic and random-ish as possible, because when they are just going about their normal business they'll be talkative for sure, but not non-stop. In the original Guppers, TNERB had a neat design where all the gupper thoughts appeared as a floating cloud of words in the background but I definitely wanted something more traditional.

As for the pink creatures... I have something special in mind for them but also still still need to figure out how they will spawn / breed.

But is it meant to be left running in the background and you check in (what I'm doing now), or are you supposed to stay and play? If stay and play, I need a little more control or structure. But it's still really fun to play around with. It's flashing me back to all the hours I spent playing Sim Tower! Makes me want to be able to give them names and stuff, too... I want to watch them make more structures! Cuteness.  Gomez Gomez Gomez

The original Guppers was a bit of a sandbox where you simply placed trees, rain, animals, and then a single gupper to eventually populate everything but interacting with those things.

Right now I'm designing something that is more of a "garden" than a sandbox.  You mainly tend to the basics... making sure Guppers don't fall to their death, starve to death... making sure the feed their young, and that trees get plenty of water.  I like this mode because it's more about meditation and nurturing rather than control.

While I'd love to also create a more RTS oriented mode, it'd require a lot of specific metric balancing and more clear and defined resource gathering system I'm just not up to spending time creating right now.

For now I just want to focus on the "gardening" aspect, as well as increasing the amount of interesting events that will occur over time to make it feel rewarding to keeping up with the Guppers.  (not to mention I've already included "creative mode" shortcuts if you want to just make things immediately happen)

... but yes, more structures, Gupper types, world events, and creature / world interactions are already apart of the short term design I have in the pipeline!

Also I LOVE the idea of actually naming Guppers, and maybe even trees and buildings.  Hell, it'd be neat if Trees that survived long enough got older and bigger even!  I'll write those down for later implementation.

I'd love for Guppers 2 to eventually reach Dwarf Fortress levels of complexity... but that's all a matter of how much Construct 2 (the platform I am using) can handle all at once, lol.

Thanks again for taking the time to check it out, and hopefully the game will be more rewarding to play for ya as I tweak it.  Next up I'm doing a huge code overhaul because it's all spaghetti unorganized garbage at this point.  Then after that back to implementing more!

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 03:19:30 AM »

What if the trees/guppers etc. only become nameable after reaching a certain age...like, they become "heroes"? I think it'd be nice, and also prevent you from naming something that dies or disappears two seconds later. For some reason this idea seems strangely intuitive and appealing to me... Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »

Bless those brave little guppers
protactinium
Level 0

Working on 'The Village'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 12:46:56 AM »

wow this looks really interesting.
Really like the water effect, I need to do something similar and I really like the appropach with puddles (actually did not see them often in games I think?Huh??)

The Village - a sim builder / idle game merge
||devlog||twitter||
Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 02:05:41 AM »

life and death in the latest update + each tree type now also has a unique "bare" sprite

donate to my patreon if you'd like to support my work : http://www.patreon.com/fuzzgoddess

changelog 009 - code cleanup

- general code clean up and bug fixes
- spontaneous clouds no longer "half spawn" when not above trees
- you can now spawn clouds with right click even if they aren't over trees
- minor tweaks with star particle generation
- reduced amount of rain particles spawned
- fixed z-order issues with speech bubbles and falling guppers
- replaced generic bare tree with specific ones for each tree type
- lowered rain height by a bit
- added balloons that spawn when a youngling is born
- added ability to spawn balloons with hotkey
- changed star particle hotkey to "Q"
- adjusted rate at which house's food stores fill up

KNOWN BUGS

- babies don't fall off cliffs
- house's food stores can still fill up too quickly

What if the trees/guppers etc. only become nameable after reaching a certain age...like, they become "heroes"? I think it'd be nice, and also prevent you from naming something that dies or disappears two seconds later. For some reason this idea seems strangely intuitive and appealing to me... Gomez

Indeed!  I think if I added the ability to name things it'd be something you could do whenever, and maybe even have a default random name generator.  Once again, definitely going for more of a creative vibe than a campaign vibe.  That being said, I definitely thing it would be interesting to have age related changes for everything in the game!  Seasons are also something I'd like to add eventually.  Tongue Hand Thumbs Up Right

Bless those brave little guppers

Indeed.  Beer!

wow this looks really interesting.
Really like the water effect, I need to do something similar and I really like the appropach with puddles (actually did not see them often in games I think?Huh??)

Thanks!  Kiss  The puddles also serve the function of watering the trees and if a Gupper has enough food on hand, they have a 50% chance of planting a seedling!  Wizard Hand Money Right

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 03:49:57 AM »

I love the tiny sway of everything! Adds so much life to the scene. Is it just a tiny little rotation or something more complicated?

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 04:27:30 AM »

I love the tiny sway of everything! Adds so much life to the scene. Is it just a tiny little rotation or something more complicated?

Thanks!  It's something I learned from the Newgrounds era of Flash game development where they would tween the heck out of everything to make up for doing actual hand drawn animations.

I'm using Construct 2 because I'm more of a design oriented person than programmer, and one of the built-in "behaviors" C2 has is called "SINE" (even though you can also do other wave shapes) which allows you to assign a oscillating modifier to a variety of sprite properties from rotation to size.  If you pay close attention you'll notice the guppers are just rotating left and right and very minimally growing and shrinking to emulate walking.

Since I don't have a lot of time to do hand crafted animations I'm doing all I can to squeeze out a visually pleasing and varied / organic experience using sprite manipulation instead.  Ninja

Here's a GIF from a previous game I was working on inspired by Stardew Valley and Minecraft / Terraria called "Generia" which I first made liberal use of the sine behavior.  The old devlog for that is here if you want to check it out : https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54315.0

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »

I felt like the poor Guppers could use more varied housing, also I'm completely reworking the gathering system soon.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:54:07 AM by Devi Ever » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »

Completely reworking the Guppers gathering system, implementing more visually distinct changes to determine what they're up to plus more....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:53:58 AM by Devi Ever » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 01:53:42 AM »

Instead of a hidden hunger value, Guppers now visibly starve and gather food. ❤️

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 02:15:18 AM »

ooh i am excited about this... the first Guppers "class"... builders!

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 03:22:51 AM »

Builder Guppers plant more trees, breakdown bare trees to wood, then build houses!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic