Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:50:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Moon Fields - PvP Zelda
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: The Moon Fields - PvP Zelda  (Read 19399 times)
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »

*Note: All still images have been resized inline to fit the width of the forum

So this isn't a real stage. It's just a visualization technique that I'm working on. The idea is that there are only a few visual permutations of this 3Dness - I will always use the same angles for the same things. Higher levels will always be more narrow than lower levels because I need to slop the angles in the get the ALttP look. This is the resulting stage:

My favorite part is the catwalk really emphasizes the Forehand/Backhand choice a lot of the weapons have. In general, if you have straight stabby weapons, it's no big deal. But if you have swinging weapons, it's a big deal to pick correctly or risk eating wall.

Unrelated to the above:

MOORTAL KOMBAT!

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »

I've been twitch streaming a little bit. I'm pretty sure the 8p FFA/team modes are cool, but the streaming has been super helpful for tweaking 1v1 and making sure that *that* is super solid. Even 8p is super fun, 1v1 (or maybe 4p 2v2/FFA) is essentially how most people are going to play multiplayer Moon Fields, anyways. Here are some clips I found to be really fun

I'm going to be talking about a twitch clip that aligns to about 29m10s on this Youtube video:

There are a lot of little techniques that happen here pretty lightning fast, so if you want to watch along don't hesitate to use the slow motion button (from the twitch clip!) and rewind a lot:

Starts out with quick (and terribly aimed) pokes that lead into a chase
2s: Gladitor has the faster aiming weapon, so Brave Cat has to run away to make space/time to line up a smash. Brave Cat goes for a jumping smash
3s: Gladitor jumps into the air and quick turns with his Knights Sword moving his guard side towards Brave Cat blocking the smash
5s: Brave Cat lines up another smash, but Gladitor steps to his right, but hesitates on his counter
7s: Gladitor goes in for a quick forehand swing that Brave Cat blocks, and then Gladitor goes for another forehand swing that Brave Cat jumps over - Brave Cat's counter smash narrowly misses
10s: Gladitor seems frustrated and whips out his longer reach Bident and nails Brave Cat. Brave Cat tries to respond with the mace and gets a Broadsword slice to the back.
15s: Gladitor has been chasing Brave Cat for 5s and finally catches him on his forehand side for a really close Bident stab, he tries to follow up with a close range Broadsword, but he narrowly misses Brave Cat *twice* --- though he does catch the inner lip of Brave Cat's shield and a box
17s: Brave Cat does a quick jump and turns to finally get the 1 blow on Gladitor that he needed
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:27:22 AM by xix » Logged

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2018, 06:12:47 AM »

https://lunarsignals.itch.io/the-moon-fields/devlog/21984/shield-recovery

The last update on my itch.io devlog explains a bunch of the changes since early December which is the last time I popped out an updated demo. The biggest change was boosting HP for everyone. I was really into the low HP and quick battles and the nice rounded numbers all over, so it was a really difficult change to move over to, but it's been working out much, much better.

Get the demo itch.io
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »

I can see how quick deaths would start to annoy some players - if you're only allowed one mistake, that's pretty unforgiving and might turn players away. A "gud"" player won't mind having to land an extra hit or two for a kill, and it will make the game more inviting to more casual players?

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »

I tried everything I could to make "The Fool" a less attractive character, but people kept picking him :-p

All joking aside, the HP boost does a lot of things you wouldn't expect. It's not about survivability - it's about granularity. 1HP was both the weakest I could set damage, but it was also the step between tiers of attacks. I didn't want the strongest attack to be 6x most of the weakest attacks. There are still 1HP damage attacks, but for the most part they "weak" attacks are 2HP and only take 4 hits to kill the strongest characters (and still 2 for the weakest). It also lets me have weaker than "weak" attacks, and those attacks can have really interesting properties that aren't just damage - e.g. range or stun.

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »

Check out that game between Darksiders 3 and Narita Boy Smiley Smiley Smiley www.pcgamer.com/new-games-2018/3/

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »

So there's this program/service called Parsec. I have been using it to play The Moon Fields online. I probably spent about 5 hours playing it. The latency is - I'm guessing - <3frames over the net. It seemed to be just as effective as running it over the LAN from my old PC. I wrote a mini-review on itch.io if anyone is interested in more. Tldr; Parsec is totally playable and exciting. I want some more playtests online to see how other people feel, but the four of us thought it was totally playable already.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:08:24 PM by xix » Logged

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2018, 07:26:15 PM »

Sorry I haven't been posting here for a while. I've been super busy. Tonight I'm packing for my trip to Boston for PAX East and the Indie MEGABOOTH. I appreciated meeting some of y'all at GDC, and if you are going to PAX it'd be cool to meet some of you there, too.

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2018, 09:35:45 PM »

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2018, 06:16:17 AM »

1) Shield Recovery - When a Shield Breaks the item button now reactivates the shield after a period of Shield Recovery
2) Dash Cancel - After connecting can cancel out of the recovery for an attack by pressing the input for Dash or Jump
3) Backflip - The neutral jump has been replaced with a Backflip because Backflips are awesome (and they're more understandable than evasive hop)

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2018, 06:31:38 AM »

Deep combat. Online vs. I can't mention how awesome it's been playing The Moon Fields online and seeing the community take apart the game and help it grow. It's been amazing. We're using Parsec to play online, and Discord to coordinate online games. Here's a link to the Discord if you're interested. Cheers

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2018, 06:22:52 AM »

OK guys! I think I got it. My dude Risk System suggested smoke plumes on the ground, and I liked how that seemed like it could possibly feel like a real thing in the world, so I tried it out. The image on the right is using hover magic, so that's why it looks like she's not exactly jumping. The higher you are the slower the plumes appear. I need to tweak that: second GIF you're only 3m from the floor and it happens very rarely. First GIF seems better when you jump off the box. Sorry for the low res GIFs. I think I need to get a better dev PC. I can't seem to eek out good 1080p video captures on my own desktop.

Bonus UI GIF - I added a direction arrow. I think how it's going to be is that if you select the "Standard" kit you get all the UI bells and whistles. You stand still and UI will appear around your character. HP/MP. This lets advanced players hide information while new players using the standard kit can access this stuff. People want things like ammunition counts, but I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to stuff 5 items of ammo UI + HP/MP around your character... we'll see I guess.

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »

The winged spear's neutral attack slices in a figure 8: downright to upleft to upright, then upright to downleft to downright. The movement helps with defending against airborne enemies. It's taken a few iterations to get it to be readable, but I'm happy with this. The hour glass shape is chaotic, and I think this conveys chaotic fairly well. Eventually people will read that it also attacks up into the air (check the shadows on the left), but even if you don't read it, it still covers/hits a wide berth in front of your character regardless.

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2018, 02:00:36 PM »

*Click the image for full size*

From traveling around with my game for the past year, I've had an opportunity to meet a bunch of cool game devs working on interesting games. We decided it would be really great to make our own event, and so we're showing off our games at Anime Central May 18th-May 20th. It's a huge convention near O'Hare Airport with international guests over 30k in attendance as of last year. If you are one of the local anime fans, please pop by the Video Game Room and check out INDIEGAMEPARTY. Cheers.

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »

Dearest TIGSource, I am sorry I have neglected you. I've been so busy with this video game. Here's a dump of stuff you might like:

Footsies Workshop With Colt:

*Colt wants to approach Eye Knite! He has two options: go counterclockwise downward or clockwise to the right.
*If he moves CCW he keeps his shield pointed towards Eye Knite and is safe from attacks, but...
*If he moves CW he opens himself up to Eye Knite, but also goes towards Eye Knite's open side. Bonus: forehand swings are much faster from this position.

I spent some time making stages more lively:

For reference, click through for larger images:

This is very much Tunic inspired, but I think it helps for gameplay a lot as well. The forrest is a great stage to hide in 3+FFA, so the more points people can be distracted by the better to encourage the hiding.

On that note, there are now 9 total stages. Dungeon, Forrest, Ravine, The Pit, and Cemetary have been shown off at all the old events. The four new maps are Wellspring, Pedestal Room, Stone Bridge, and Training Grounds.

Wellspring is inspired by the Fairy Rooms in the original Zelda. It is very open and the water slows down the pace in the center a lot. There are a lot of places from which you can dive in and attempt aerial attacks, and the water does not help w/ getting out of the way.

Pedestal Room is rotationally asymmetrical. The Capture Flag spawns on the pedestal, and it is fairly easy to guard. Players who ignore the Capture Flag generally fight on the ground with lots of chasing around statues or ducking out to the opposite side of the map. Lots of confrontations happen in front of those two staircases.

Stone Bridge marks the return of stage hazards. The moat is filled with stakes, and the jump over the stakes is fairly difficult (though exciting!). Lighter projectiles will clear the 1m tall bridge, though heaviers projectiles will just clip the top.

And Training Ground is set at dawn. It is only remarkable because of how clean and simple it is. It may get a little complicated to deal with in large FFAs, but otherwise there are no tricks here.

And finally, uh, I made some new characters and items. There's a gun sword and a few more magic spells and bard items and... well... I don't have any GIFs or anything, so, please be patient!

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2018, 06:21:22 AM »

I've been working on a stage select. The stage select has a menu on the right for stages, and it pans through different perspectives for the stages on the left. You can ban stages like you can in Smash clones. I am thinking that if you hit Random after banning stages, it only randomly selects stages that haven't been banned, but I haven't implemented that in game yet. There is always a pan that gives you an idea of the stage layout, a few for each stage hazard/point of interest, and then sometimes I go for something dramatic. Here's a video of it in action:

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »

Making a new stage. The gears are rigidbodies w/ a script to rotate. They're not linked, they're just mathed out beforehand. The Clouds are lots of sprites with transparencies stacked on each other. I have two cloud sprites for variation, and they float around via Perlin motion. I think I can do better re: clouds, but I'm not sure exactly how to achieve that.

Get the demo itch.io
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »

The Clouds are lots of sprites with transparencies stacked on each other. I have two cloud sprites for variation, and they float around via Perlin motion. I think I can do better re: clouds, but I'm not sure exactly how to achieve that.
Speaking of Perlin, I've seen people use Perlin Noise for creating fog/cloud.  I couldn't find the one that had clouds, but here's another tutorial that might be useful (and perform even better): https://medium.com/@avseoul/unity3d-how-to-create-fake-volumetric-light-using-shader-and-geometry-cf3885991720

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2018, 10:16:30 AM »

I recently found out twitter GIF size is 506x506 so I've been going a little crazy with the GIFs. Using Screen2GIF it's ~125 frames for the large GIF, and ~450 frames for the smaller GIFs. Obviously some are clearer than others. Sorry for the filesize, just pretty excited!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:57:04 PM by xix » Logged

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »

I can't help myself:

Get the demo itch.io
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print