Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:41:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPassive vs. Active
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Passive vs. Active  (Read 6379 times)
Eden
« on: October 12, 2007, 11:18:25 PM »

In music, the listener is either listening passively or actively. While I write this I'm listening some Thelonious Monk piece. That's passive listening; I'm not really focused on it- it's in the background.
Active listening is the opposite.

So the thought came up in my mind that maybe playing games has two states- passive and active. Just playing blindly through a game, not really remembering much of it afterwards. Being on autopilot.
I think we get that in some games a lot.

Just an observation Tongue

btw, I don't mean passive as being "in the zone"- that's more active. I mean games like WoW (most MMORPGs actually).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:29:59 PM by Eden » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 12:32:17 AM »

Any game with overly repetitive actions required lends itself to passive play. Grinding, button-mashing, etc.

Many games have both. Like some RPG's in which buying stuff is practically automatic (just fill your potion to max, buy best equipment) while other activities may be more involved.

It's a good thing for devs to keep in mind, I guess.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Eden
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 12:55:56 AM »

I think passive play is inherent in some game designs, The Movies (whilst a pretty good game) comes to mind.   
So...it's important to design stuff that isn't passive. Otherwise you're wasting your time, really.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 01:00:40 AM »

http://www.progressquest.com/

Passive gaming at its finest. Smiley
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:22:05 AM »

But even if you are passively listening to music, your mood is affected by it, isn't it? Does this happen with games as well?

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 01:29:30 AM »

If it's completely mechanical, I think the only mood shift you'll get is to apathy. In that case even passive music is more active.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 02:37:49 AM »

I think I'd define passive gaming as performing a sequence of actions without any viable/possible variation. The player is making no decisions between each step, it's merely a rote process.

For example, let's look at the combat system that many MMORPGs use. Typically they have a system where chaining specific attacks after each other has additional effect. What results is a boring process of hitting the same series of buttons over. That's bad. However, if the game is designed such that the results of each step can vary (either randomly or by opponent action) then the player is forced to react to the effect his previous attack had on the opponent and adapt his attack. In fighting games, characters typically have an attack-combo "flowchart". If this attack is blocked, switch to this set of moves, if it wasn't do this set of moves. This is definitely more active.

The problem with playing a game "passively" is that a game loses the one element that makes it different from other forms of media.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 04:49:35 AM »

I think passive vs active is really habitual vs mindful. In the first, you're not thinking too hard about what you're doing, in the second, you're more aware and excited about it. In that sense I think the second is usually better.

th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:32:48 AM »

That would tie-in with the flow theory concept of learning challenges.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 05:06:36 PM »

http://www.progressquest.com/

Passive gaming at its finest. Smiley

I lol'd

Although theres really not much difference between this and WoW XD I believe the only active moment I have in WoW is PvP, otherwise I'm playing on autopilot.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic