Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:46:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTacticsV - A Retro Strategy(Tactical) RPG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: TacticsV - A Retro Strategy(Tactical) RPG  (Read 23946 times)
Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »

Really enjoying the look of this.  Like if Ultima or Baldur's Gate had continued to evolve.

Thanks, Devi Ever, dang that's a high compliment (in my eyes), I'm glad you like the look Smiley

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »

So, I found that with an isometric camera I needed to show where the actual tiles are for a flying creature,  so I've added a blob shadow, and while I was at it I added a ring to tell who's side each unit is on... not sure if it's too much like a tabletop base, or removes anything from overall appearance... but it's only during combat.

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2018, 04:51:20 PM »

I personally don't think the circles remove anything visually, and they definitely aid in the player's decision making process. Besides grounding the flyers a bit, they also help reduce any ambiguity that the mounted characters take up exactly four tiles.

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2018, 05:27:42 PM »

Yeah, after having it a little while, I'd have to agree with those statements.  outside of combat I keep a shadow without the ring.

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2018, 05:38:52 PM »

Remind me of Diablo III! Following!  Gomez

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2018, 06:53:34 PM »

AI Threads,

One thing I can mention as an update was my frustration with AI CPU spikes,

Common problem to have AI hiccups on the CPU, but in a turn based game I didn't think I'd need to resort to this.

at first in the project,  we had AI cram their info and do their turn,

I tried cramming these as per action, then per turn,

then to reduce the render hiccups I made a bunch of the methods calling coroutines, and left it at that for a long time,

once I added multi-tile though, I had many more lists of things moving and it needed a new approach.

Unity is not known for easy thread use, having almost all engine objects, the Physics library, etc. on the main thread.  But I came to realize that 90% of what is calculated in the AI is done assuming a snapshot of the game, or in other words I had missed this for fear of being locked to the mainthread, the measures taken to get a snapshot of the positions and rotations of things wasn't all that tough, I know where all the places are that modify them, and the new references were relatively easy to put in place.

So after all that, I do have a separate AI thread going on their turns, it doesn't take less time at all, I believe, certainly less time than the coroutine solution was, but not tremendously so.

The goal of it all was accomplished though, the rendering of the game doesn't freeze for a second before an AI character moves.

and I got little dots on there to show they're thinking.

All is not complete however, because I'm sure something will come and bog the new thread down enough for AI spikes, anyway...

We're working on a lot of other things, but that's for another time.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »

Dude this is looking really good lately. It looks like it's speed up a lot? I like how snappy it feels now. Do you have music? VGMCon is happening in MSP in like a month, if not.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »

Dude this is looking really good lately. It looks like it's speed up a lot? I like how snappy it feels now. Do you have music? VGMCon is happening in MSP in like a month, if not.

y'know I haven't looked in a while, but you're right, since making posts before I've improved AI wait time a whole lot.

*also for a note on the music, we have a great Composer, Benji Inniger. he has the track for our intro sequence here: https://soundcloud.com/hearbenji/tacticsv-prologue

also here's a further clip from the battle from the previous post.

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2018, 05:38:15 AM »

Not sure if I'm 100% sold on these particle effects I just made, they revolve around the projectile animation queues I have in place so I would just use the fireball as a placeholder. but it makes it way easier to know what's being cast with them in there now, a few tweaks wouldn't hurt... any suggestions? the more simple to implement the better.

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »

In some recent code updates we've added hand gestures to the dialog situations as an option.

1 handed spears were also fixed in these updates, and casting while holding certain weapon types became a thing.

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2018, 06:02:49 PM »

We since decided to go,
if anyone else is going to be in the Minneapolis area next weekend for VGMCon, come by and try out the game Smiley

here's a preview with one of our battle tracks:

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »

Noticeable new alterations:
*There's no longer a spinning cube for a cursor, instead we have a classic pointing glove
*The visual grid is optional when not selecting tiles
*Some physics are done in AI calculations again, first time since moving to threads
*AI is more ruthless with powers, smarter about friendly fire, and will buff and debuff if they have the powers, and there's some *random elements to the priority order
*Ranges have been reduced for throwing and ranged weapons
*all accuracy has been further balanced so even stats have an average of 75% vs the ridiculous 95% hit chance we were seeing

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »

Lots of good feedback at VGMCon, list of tweaks we've applied since:

*added a zoom out, thought about a zoom in or cinematic effects like shake... but haven't tried it yet.
*locked animations to the grid for facing
*dodge animations occur on misses
*block animations occur on blocks
*fixed issues with casting
*AI thread exits if exception is caught then attempts to continue the game, instead of just logging and stopping
*increased size of team colored rings
*fixed missing damage details in some action identifications
*fixed issue with paralyzed characters not dying when reduced to 0HP
*Added an end-turn button (where a typical select button would be on a gamepad)
*Unit stats display when hovering over them, even when doing a movement action
*flipped the default highlighted button for choosing Unit or Tile with delayed actions
*added range to the Aim archery powers
*fixed a couple power typos
*fixed a bug where some healing spells could trigger counterattacks, even from allies

One reoccurring comment was that it looked better in person, referring to the pixel effects, perhaps I can find some better recording settings in the future.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:54:11 PM by Zaibach333 » Logged

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »

So in looking at zoom functionality would a fire emblem view mode be advisable?  minus all of the cutscene portions I mean.

the PSP Tactics Ogre flashed a somewhat useful mode for it:

It's not terribly hard to include a button for, if it doesn't take away from the game... yes, no?

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2018, 08:10:44 AM »

The Fire Emblem view is good. Since you have 3D models you can also go for a slightly angled view.

The biggest thing you're going to have to worry about is readability. Zooming out = more information to be read, but Angling up = viewing from above. Tbh, it's still really hard for me to differentiate team 1 from team 2, so I think you have a lot of work ahead of you. But the pace is getting pretty fast, and it's really nice and breezy. Good seeing you last weekend, dude

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »

For some updates, I looked at the shader a lot, some foliage additions, numerous bug tweaks, and the fire emblem mode has transitions for actions done in combat back to isometric mode. I tried to show some of those in a clip below

for a little detail on how we're doing lighting and colors now, so we have 3 versions of each of the typical colors as a solid palette, now, instead of lighting it with the lights in the scene via ramps or what not, we specify the exact color of the darks and lights, makes things far more vibrant, but we'll find a good palette eventually.  I also took on the task of multiple colors for the outlines, now I take the neighboring color and reduce it to the dark shade then apply some black lerping, not much, but just enough to make it an outline, ramped by the difference of the depth texture check for the outline.

It's getting there though, in other areas we've been getting more dialog and other chapter's lined up, with gameplay balance attention rising.

oh, and we'll be at MineFaire in St. Paul on saturday too!

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2018, 07:12:18 AM »

The circles under characters are a fairly common feature in isometric games, so don't worry, they aren't bad and your game looks really lovely in general!
Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2018, 04:15:09 PM »

The circles under characters are a fairly common feature in isometric games, so don't worry, they aren't bad and your game looks really lovely in general!

Thank you for that,  Smiley

I mentioned some foliage, it's from a geometry shader and fits pretty good with the color system, here's that.

I'm quite exited about some other things we're working on... things are coming along nicely.

TamaraRyan
Level 0

none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2018, 07:50:55 PM »

This is looking really cool. I like the art style a lot. I feel like voice over would fit well in this game. Do you think you guys would ever want something like that?

Professional Voice Actress at your service: http://www.tamararyanvo.com/
Abatron - a FPS/RTS hybrid game: http://www.abatrongame.com/
Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »

This is looking really cool. I like the art style a lot. I feel like voice over would fit well in this game. Do you think you guys would ever want something like that?

Hmm, to tell the truth, we have a big system in place for just text localization, and we still don't think we'll actually translate beyond english... and we often pick at the dialog text as it is, while a voice over is neat, it's another layer of difficulty to alter after.

The game would probably have to be completely done before such a task, in our workflow.

Also aside from cutscenes in re-releases, the old games this is modeled after didn't have it either... so it hasn't come up really... cool thought though.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic