Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:37:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMetal&Bones: Beath them all/physics based platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Metal&Bones: Beath them all/physics based platformer  (Read 3812 times)
Artsicle
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 11:07:39 AM »

The main character's clothing keeps going from white to some random colors when I move around or press R. The "Press space to continue" text in dialogues sometimes overlaps the other text. A lot of the text is pretty blurry, and the buttons looks too simple.
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »

Thanks for playing Artsicle !

• For the switching sprites of the main character it's normal it's part of the story. The main character is a bridge between two people and he massters the techniques of both armies. If it's not clear I should make it more obvious in the next levels
  • For the overlaping text thanks I'll fix that!
  • And for the button, it's just a demo yet

Did you have fun playing =)?

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
MrPotatostealer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2019, 10:06:09 AM »

Hi,

Here are my thoughts after playing the game for a bit.
It's was cool when I noticed I could knockdown a whole house, less cool that I was inside the house while doing so Smiley

Anyway here are some pointers.

- Controls feel floaty and slow. Not enough acceleration when start moving or changing direction. Jump feels very long and slow, needs to be more responsive overall.

- Combat needs work, I just spammed buttons until something died. Until I discovered there is not even a reason for killing the enemies.

- It's difficult to tell what is in the background or not. What can you stand on? What elements in the game can the physics be used on?

- If I understand the game correctly its supposed to be a sort of puzzle / action game ? If so I think it's important to try and tell that in the level design. Make it clear if it's a combat area or puzzle area. I think this is the reason why I just ran to the end of the level since there was nothing stopping me. Maybe add some areas where the players get trapped until they solve the puzzle or kill all the enemies is a good start.

- I didn't really see any interesting ways that the player have to use the physics for. One mayor issue with using physics is that there is a lot of unpredictability. I would try and control this more in the code to make it feel more consistent to the player. (Not really an easy task to do!). Then I'm sure it will also be easier to design levels with specific physics scenarios.

- Physics is also an issue when you are trying to move blocks and they can damage while doing so.

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2019, 05:44:20 AM »

Hi, thank you for your feedback MrPotatostealer !

1. I'm struggling to make good controls. Your feedback match with things I heard before, especially with the slow jump. I will work on it !

2. Noted, I'm working on something so spamming is not possible anymore for the build after next build.
3. I thought with the addition of a score system, people will take pleasure in fighting to improve their score. Apparently it doesn't work. I had some people over the years telling me they just ran towards the end. Not many people, but now that you say it too, I should work on a solution.

4. I'm not sure I get exactly what you mean. I understand it as : better level design. Telle me if I'm wrong; but I agree.
5. Yes, I'm struggling on that too. I have that bug fix on top of my todo list !

Thanks again for the feedbacks Wink. It won't all be fixed right away, but I will work on those step by step!

MrPotatostealer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2019, 07:04:09 AM »

Hi,

1. I think there are some good information out there on how to make a jump feeling good. If I remember correctly Super Mario's jump is about 0.7 seconds, a time that most people find satisfying. Also try to make the jump depending on how long you hold down the jump button, helps give player more control. Once jump button is released add something like 10 times normal gravity to the player, so you quickly land. I would also try and double the acceleration/ deceleration when player starts moving on the ground. More or less make the player feel more in control.

4. So people are lazy, they will only do what they feel they have to. This is why I think the level design you need to force the player to kill some enemies before they can continue. Or forcing them to solve a puzzle. This don't mean there needs to be door that block the player everywhere. For example, a difficult jump and an enemy makes it almost impossible by shooting at you while doing so. You want to take this enemy out before doing the jump.

I hope this helps a bit, otherwise let me know Smiley

AoF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 12:24:22 PM »

Concept of the game:
So there is a war between two sides that last forever and the main character is the chosen one that can end it. The main character knows that he is playing a video game so his goal is just to enjoy it, but the more he plays the more the NPC's he talks to seem real. He will have the choice between play the story mode of the game or find secrets levels and try to figure out why the characters seem so real and who made this game.

Reminds me of Enders Game, but not in a good way... In a generic, "I need *some* kind of story" way.  If it's more about the gameplay than the story, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

If you play the game and want to help me make it better thank you, it really helps. Here is what I'd like to know:
- Is the game fun to play?

I'm writing this after the tutorial:  Not really, but I feel like that's a polishing issue more than a problem with your concept.  It just feels clunky to do everything.  Jumping hovers in the air too long, I'm walking through most things, the buttons are all over the place (see below for details), etc.  The level design doesn't seem too well thought out.  e.g., yeah, I could jump on this platform to get to that ledge, or I could just walk through the platform and still jump on that ledge. 

I'm writing this after the first level:  It says R will stun an enemy, but it doesn't seem to be having any effect.  There's a purple woman sitting and shooting at me, and my attacks seem to go over her head.  Her health bar looks like a platform.  I died after getting past her.

It wasn't fun, but I think you just need to polish it before it is.  Also, the key layout is frustrating (more detail below).

- Are you confused or annoyed by the design of the main character?

Nope.

- Are the levels too easy? Too hard?

The tutorial was really easy, but if I died during it, I may have quit right then and there, so I wouldn't change that.

- Something else you think I should be aware of?

The first sentence in the game is, "Hey hi player !"  There shouldn't be a space after "player," and this is kind of a weird sentence to begin with. 

It's really weird how I'm wearing a different outfit when I'm falling. 

I can use A and D to move, but W doesn't do the same thing as the up arrow.  Using E and R as relevant keys is very strange to me.  Why didn't you use WASD for this?

Tutorial tells me to use the Z/Q key, but as far as I can tell, the Q key doesn't do anything.  It's really weird to have to press E, R, and Z.  These buttons should be closer together.

Your dialog system is weird.  I would press space to show one person's dialog at a time, not both. 

If you'd like to give me feedback, here's a link to my slightly NSFW game: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=67183.0
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 01:40:13 PM »

Thanks for your reply AoF! It's cool to have taken the time to write all this, it's golden feedbacks to me =). I'll try to respond the best I can.
Reminds me of Enders Game, but not in a good way... In a generic, "I need *some* kind of story" way.  If it's more about the gameplay than the story, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

The movie or the books? Because I didn't read the movie. It's generic yeah, I want to do something unusual in a usual setting. The scenario should have a great place in the experience of the game, but it's a build up.

- Is the game fun to play?
I'm writing this after the tutorial:  Not really, but I feel like that's a polishing issue more than a problem with your concept.  It just feels clunky to do everything.  Jumping hovers in the air too long, I'm walking through most things, the buttons are all over the place (see below for details), etc.  The level design doesn't seem too well thought out.  e.g., yeah, I could jump on this platform to get to that ledge, or I could just walk through the platform and still jump on that ledge. 

I'm writing this after the first level:  It says R will stun an enemy, but it doesn't seem to be having any effect.  There's a purple woman sitting and shooting at me, and my attacks seem to go over her head.  Her health bar looks like a platform.  I died after getting past her.

It wasn't fun, but I think you just need to polish it before it is.  Also, the key layout is frustrating (more detail below).

I may have explained the stun thing the wrong way. I was trying to give as less text as possible. Before a soldier attacks you it becomes blue. If you use your "R" power at this moment it will stun it. For the purple creatures, I should put a visual clue that we can't hurt them with fists or kicks.

The first sentence in the game is, "Hey hi player !"  There shouldn't be a space after "player," and this is kind of a weird sentence to begin with. 
Yeah sometimes I forget. In French we put a space before and after "!". It's cool you tell me, I read the conversations to fix the mistakes but I often don't see this kind of mistakes.

I can use A and D to move, but W doesn't do the same thing as the up arrow.  Using E and R as relevant keys is very strange to me.  Why didn't you use WASD for this?
I used the input controller on UNITY for the character's movements, it allows the player to use "A" and "D" but I don't want the user to use those. The character should move only with the arrows. I should fix this, I didn't think people will try to move with WASD.

Tutorial tells me to use the Z/Q key, but as far as I can tell, the Q key doesn't do anything.  It's really weird to have to press E, R, and Z.  These buttons should be closer together.
The game is made for QWERTY and AZERTY. I have a AZERTY keyboard so your "W" is our "Z". You should be able to press "W" to punch. I never played on a QWERTY keyboard I think I mixed everything up... I'm on it !

Your dialog system is weird.  I would press space to show one person's dialog at a time, not both. 
Never thought of that. I should make some test and if I others share your idea then I'll do it!

If you'd like to give me feedback, here's a link to my slightly NSFW game: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=67183.0
I will =)

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 01:44:29 PM »

Hi,

1. I think there are some good information out there on how to make a jump feeling good. If I remember correctly Super Mario's jump is about 0.7 seconds, a time that most people find satisfying. Also try to make the jump depending on how long you hold down the jump button, helps give player more control. Once jump button is released add something like 10 times normal gravity to the player, so you quickly land. I would also try and double the acceleration/ deceleration when player starts moving on the ground. More or less make the player feel more in control.

4. So people are lazy, they will only do what they feel they have to. This is why I think the level design you need to force the player to kill some enemies before they can continue. Or forcing them to solve a puzzle. This don't mean there needs to be door that block the player everywhere. For example, a difficult jump and an enemy makes it almost impossible by shooting at you while doing so. You want to take this enemy out before doing the jump.

I hope this helps a bit, otherwise let me know Smiley

It helps a lot Potatostealer thanks. =)

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2019, 02:35:30 AM »

Hello ! Thanks for your comments you all.
The new build is up. Actually 3 builds went up since last time. Some things have changed
  • Rework of the level design of the tutorial level, level 1, level 2 and level 3
  • New level
  • Bug fix: now the player cannot be hurt when attracting objects
  • Bug fix: if you are full life and move into an object that make you gain life, it won't work
  • Design: Now working with the tilemap of unity
  • Bug fix: Now the turrets can aim at 360°. Before they weren't able to shoot at the player if he was below them.
  • Better damage management

You can play it here ! https://eyon.itch.io/worlds
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:17:47 PM by Eyon » Logged

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2019, 02:39:08 AM »

I liked that you could move all those objects around, that was pretty cool. Most of it just needs a lot of polish to make it really cool. It was often not obvious why I was taking damage or which objects would be easy to pick up. I found the flower pots to be the best. I would like to be able to turn the character while holding an object in mid-air as it was a bit of a pain getting past some objects. Lot's of nice ideas!

LeifTerry
Level 0

Interested.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »

I think it has potential.
I enjoyed gathering things and then projecting them.

The animation needs a few more frames, and the character shouldn't change outfits when they perform an action.
Some visual effects on hits would be good. Having a bar go down when hit is not enough.
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »

Thank you for your feedbacks =]
I am presently working on the animations to make them smoother and on the graphics!

[...]It was often not obvious why I was taking damage or which objects would be easy to pick up.
For the damages I will check if there is a bug that needs to be fixed or if the problem is about displaying better informations.
For the objects, yes the biggest are not always the heaviest. I have few ideas to solve this problem.
And about the possibility to turn around with an object, I'll tackle that when bigger problems are solved =]

[...] Having a bar go down when hit is not enough.
What do you mean by that ?

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic