Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:16:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSUPER Cute Alien (a single-coop-multiplayer platformer!)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: SUPER Cute Alien (a single-coop-multiplayer platformer!)  (Read 3336 times)
SysOp!
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 09:18:38 AM »

Some multiplayer action!

SysOp!
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 11:37:51 AM »

Hi everyone! Its been a few slow dev days because some situation but everything is now normal-ish.

We spent a couple of days polishing the game further, tweaking many details and adding new characters:

As we said earlier, we are now working on the scene aspects. That meant that a couple days of work went into creating tech for sequences.

On a normal day, it would be like:

1) Char1 walks into a room
2) Starts a dialog with to Char2
3) A sound plays
4) Char1 walks to a door, touches a trigger, makes Char2 follow him.
5) Char2 starts a sequence of events, when dialog is finished

It kinda sounds like... what normally happens in games, right? Nowadays fancy engines handle timed events and all that for you, but we didn't have any of that.

Luckily, I spent ages working on a free Half-Life mod you might or might not heard of(http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-1-arrangement) and know the ins and outs of how, Valve, for example handles that kind of stuff.

So, inspired on it, I managed to pull off a very similar system, that is very simple to use, intuitive and everything happens in the editor. Here's how it looks:

I think other people might benefit from this, and I would be happy to share like I did with other stuff, but sadly the code is a bit interconnected and might not work out of the box.

Speaking of tools, I also created something that I'd be happy to share. Actually there was interest on Haxeflixel's discord(https://discord.gg/BFhFQ2j), this is why it looks more polished:

Anyways, its a ragdoll creator that lets you setup a FlxSpine skeleton, using FlxNape physics. You just put your character in a folder, select it and then you have to click which part is connected to what. And that's it. Like this:

Is basic, but does its job automagically. Spent a couple of days getting it perfect, but is saving us tons of time :D
___

Now, time for a little story.

As previously stated, our idea was to crank up a bit what would be the gore-ish aspects of SCA. So, I did something as a test, shared it over HF's discord and people liked it. Then, posted it to SUPER Cute Alien's Twitter (https://twitter.com/SUPERCuteAlien). And it exploded...

See, I not familiar with viral stuff, it never happened to me, really. So its really weird to see how something that we humble did, is still getting likes daily, commented over and stuff. It was a surprise really, but also gives us insight of what people would like to see.

From the comments, the juxtaposition of cute~gore and the characters is what people is digging. We are super happy to know we are on the right path!

And speaking of characters, we still going over old characters and polishing them up:

Well, that's it for now. On the upcoming days, we are planning to do a giveaway, so stay tuned. But for this tho, we would have to update the game first, also planning to create a new trailer video... because we are planning to do a Kickstarter.

Kickstarter?
Idea is to get funding, basically, to make the game better. With more muscle we could do what the game needs and by featuring the stretch goals we would also see what people wants.
Our idea is to see how much people would allows to expand SUPER Cute Alien's universe and it also would allow me to spent time to polish and release the tools we created during this time, so we give something else back to Haxeflixel's community!

This took longer than expected, heh. Until next time!
SysOp!
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2018, 12:32:20 PM »

Hi everyone. Just bouncing around to let our readers know that we are pulling off a "Pay what you want" week! That's right, you set the price. Even zero!

So far its been a success, just one day in, a lot of new players in which means a new very long bug list to do.

But hey, that was more or less the idea right?

Grab it from here: https://setentia-studios.itch.io/super-cute-alien

I'm gonna be back with something that might be a big step forward or a huge mistake. Fun times!

PS: Oh, and we played again. It was a fun to play, fun to watch session where we were tied with 4 points each. The last man standing mode is really fun!

SysOp!
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 09:19:10 PM »

We had a lot of videos of SCA, so I thought it would be easier to just put them all together and experiment in a new format, I give you... our first video log!

Hope this new format its easier to consume. Video aside, it was very fun to try out the 'downed state'.

It also works for single player, but the idea is to have the robot companion to resucitate the player, and we will be removing checkpoints. Will be harder to die, but if you do, you lose the progress of the level. This will be done later, on a Redefining death #2

Game is now 100% free for 72 hours so you can try these features yourself!

Cheers!
SysOp!
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 08:04:45 PM »

There's a lots of things going on, so I'm gonna start from what I can remember.

We won 3rd place at #Potenciate contest!: https://potenciate.buenosaires.gob.ar/emprendedurismo/nota/202/_conoc_a_los_finalistas_de_potenciate_videojuegos_

It was amazing for a lots of reasons. Met amazing people, made friends and, well, it's heart warming really, since it's been a lot of of hours, lots of nights, lots of effort. With the prize, it comes a hefty **paycheck** that will let us do the game we want, exactly as we please.

We also, as part of the contest, got invited at EVA2018, an argentinian expo for video games!

It was amazing. A surreal experience! I personally tried to think of any outcomes, when it comes to gameplay design, but there were some unexpected moments that were a surprise for everyone. We recieved tons of feedback, people asking to fix a thing or two and people asking for new features.

And amazing to see HaxeFlixel's performance. Game didn't crash once and performed incredibly well, knowing that there were around 250 people who played the game, on friday and saturday, aprox 6, 7 hours non-stop each day.

There were some merchandise as well:

And we did some tournaments Smiley

And again, it was incredible! There people in line, waiting to play. Those who came friday, **returned** again on saturday with their friends. People of *all ages* played our game, that was amazing to see. They did laugh a lot :D
What I also noticed is how *everyone quickly understood the controls and the game itself*. And its a relief, since make the game *easy to pick but hard to master* was a priority. Super glad to see that worked out well!

These tournaments will be uploaded soon.

As far as the game goes, we added some features, fixed stuff, even more polishing and new content. Here's a new world, for example, coupled with some new heads:

In other related news, we've been working on day and night to try to get a build as polished as possible to go over big platforms, such as Steam. Idea is to gather player feedback, mostly, for the multiplayer aspect. Campaign content while is being worked on, it will be behind doors.

You can find more frequent dev log updates here: https://setentia-studios.itch.io/super-cute-alien/devlog -- but they are not so technical or design related, more like a change log.

Game is now free to play for a bit, so people can get a taste of what's coming, specially for the campaign. Mind you: is still WIP, but we working on that.

Not much else to say, because as the game grew in size, grew also team-wise. That's good, but there's always something to do, or something to manage, 24/7. That's game dev for you. I just thought I can pop out from the shadows and post some progress :D

Ok, back I go to finish this game out. Thanks for checking this out!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic