Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 12:51:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGood intentions (entropy)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Good intentions (entropy)  (Read 4303 times)
Pfotegeist
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »

I was thinking about that lawful chaotic good evil chart and I think we know that it doesn't work outside games.

The main problem is there is no good and evil. Instead there's a never-ending struggle for fun, friends and others who don't want to play unless they are incessantly annoyed.

The decision to annoy others will cause good intentions entropy leading to some encouraging results and some death.

I really had to think about this a while before making it a topic. Can we discuss how good intentions will inevitably brand people as evil?
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »

No fair I was gonna post this
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:01:22 AM »

such wisdom transcends time and intent and maybe unconsciously my post was send collectively by us
Pfotegeist
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »

Does this have an original context or have we already entered final meme?

edit: Google searches reveal this quote context “there's actually zero difference between good and bad things” - Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite

This seems to prove the effective destitution of improperly quoting imaginary video game characters, and I can't tell who wrote his dialogue from this.

"Ken Levine was the creative director and lead writer for BioShock Infinite" - Wikipedia

Yet it will take further investigation to find where it is actually spoken in game.

spoiler, not a quote but a summary of Dewitt's character
https://youtu.be/n6DOdcNIvYQ?t=5m43s?

intentions deemed bad by random vlogger, how do you plea?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:24:16 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:28:42 AM »

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:30:48 AM »

edit: Google searches reveal this quote context “there's actually zero difference between good and bad things” - Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite

Now you got me howlin'
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »

[...] that lawful chaotic good evil chart[...]

I'm uneducated and don't know that chart. Can you post it, please?

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »

There aren't good and evil people, but there are definitely "good" (compassionate, helpful, etc.) and "evil" (cruel, hateful, malicious, etc.) actions, and there is a spectrum that many actions fall somewhere in between.

Our problem as a society (in a lot of cultures) is that we punish the person instead of treating the symptoms that are the actions. Instead of offering redemption and rehabilitation we add more cracks to a broken mental state. We define people and cement their identity often based on their most extreme actions and forget the humanity that still exists despite those extremes. We brand them for not being able to tolerate the rules of a system that exists at the expense and exploitation of those who are forced into it.

Good and evil works for a game because a game often uses extremes to provide entertainment, so we can look to that chart as a way to attribute extreme behaviors to a character. So yeah, it is definitely not an accurate model for humanity at all.

[...] that lawful chaotic good evil chart[...]

I'm uneducated and don't know that chart. Can you post it, please?

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »

@JWK5: thanks for posting the chart!

Lawful, hmmm...

A few days ago I was on my way home from work and whitnessed a slighty disturbing situation at a subway station: the police was about to arrest a foreign looking man (=he looked liked an arabian dude, story takes place in Germany btw) for riding the public services without buying a ticket and they yelled at him. There was a brave lady defending him and demanding that they stop yelling b/c one should pay respect etc.
Subway train arrives, we board and the brave lady got into an argument with another lady: that woman took the stance that the police is always right and is wrong to call them out b/c authority™.

I think that's wrong and I really don't like people who obey to authorities just b/c they're authorities.
Call them out if they're doing shitty things, I say!

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 12:58:11 PM »

intentions deemed bad by random vlogger, how do you plea?
I think if kenny levine can't decide if he thinks slavery is worse or better than abolishing slavery he should probably be under some kind of investigation

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »

bioshock infinite 10/10 it has racist asian depictions in it *round of applause*

Pfotegeist
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »

I think I'll watch a let's play of bioshock infinite after I finish the last guardian and the audiobook of a softcore horror drama known as "1984", and I'm not really excited about the love interest but I am expectant that love interest will die and the guy can get back to writing in his journal again, fingers crossed.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 06:15:21 PM »

a softcore horror drama known as "1984"

lmao
Pfotegeist
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »

There aren't good and evil people, but there are definitely "good" (compassionate, helpful, etc.) and "evil" (cruel, hateful, malicious, etc.) actions, and there is a spectrum that many actions fall somewhere in between.

I think this can be qualified by saying truthfully informed actions are definitely beneficial or detrimental.

In essence you're right, but I wanted to maximize (opposite of minimize) the point of view.

It is easy to take an action with unexpected consequences. From this there is entropy.

Our problem as a society (in a lot of cultures) is that we punish the person instead of treating the symptoms that are the actions. Instead of offering redemption and rehabilitation we add more cracks to a broken mental state. We define people and cement their identity often based on their most extreme actions and forget the humanity that still exists despite those extremes. We brand them for not being able to tolerate the rules of a system that exists at the expense and exploitation of those who are forced into it.

Not sure. Maybe that is a symptom of the desire to contradict. When we train up an individual to do function in a way nobody else wants, it is rare someone would volunteer or fit the mold. When their function is misused society needs to be checked, will they take the high road or blame someone else? Today I'd say it's random. According to the rules established by society the most morally attuned individual is supposed to catch a failure in their hierarchy as it occurs but according to modern society there's no hierarchy outside of private companies. Maybe it's a symptom of the desire to contradict.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »

you guys got some fuckin stupid ass moral code that you learned from ULtima 69: Journey to the centre of my ANus instead of coexisting with your fellow man
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 02:52:49 PM »

i just want to kill my neighbor and feel ok about it and say it's not my fault but my mind's entropy

Pfotegeist
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »

We will all become as bunnies.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »

bunnies are not very smart animals

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pfotegeist
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »