Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 10:05:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpellDown!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SpellDown!  (Read 4974 times)
yadurajiv
Level 0

~.^ wut you say?

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »

It has been quite some time since I posted a DevLog here Smiley so I hope this is for the best Gentleman Here we go!

What is SpellDown!?

SpellDown! is a lighthearted word building game which has you fighting monsters with magic. The game will also have some amount of dungeon crawling and roguelike elements.

The Story

In SpellDown! you play the role of a young mage on a quest to learn magic. Your new found interest in magic and a need for a mentor takes you on a journey to a town known for being a watering hole for wizards. As a young apprentice you take on errands and quests for your mentors to gain more knowledge and power. But, in your quest for knowledge, you may have unwittingly triggered events that can have catastrophic effects and now you need to save the kingdom and set things right before the next pool championship starts!   

You use the power of "words" to craft "spells" to defeat these monsters, get loot and more. The game will also feature friendly town folk to talk and other ways to while away your time while not fighting monsters and improving your vocabulary.

So far...

All the art in the game right now is temporary and was put together to mostly test out my workflows, so are most of of all the transitions and effects. The large chunk of my time was just spend putting a l[/img]ot of useful (and not so useful) systems in place to make. The good news is that I have all my workflows in place and hopefully by end of June I will have all the new art in place (with a little help from my friends Smiley

Most of last week was spent on working on multiple monster types that have varying levels of probability when it comes to spawning in rooms. These rooms will be part of the procedurally generated maps that you will be traversing. The last couple of days were a bit slow, so I got to implement a simple dialog system which showed messages, a yes/no prompt and an input dialog box.

The game is built on top of cocos2d-x using c++. I’m planning to release it on PC and Mobile. At the moment most of my work is focused towards getting the mobile build up and running well, the PC version will need considerable ui/ux changes, but that is a challenge for the future. I hope to keep posting daily updates on TIGSource and keep doing these devlogs once every week, mostly on the weekend.

What’s next?

Most of next week is going to focus on getting the dungeon map generation right, moving about in the Dungeon and some ux updates. Thank you for reading. Please do comment if you have any thoughts or feedback. More updates soon.

^___________^

Working on SpellDown!

Catch me on Twitter, Itch or come read my blogs
yadurajiv
Level 0

~.^ wut you say?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »

A dramatic entrance of sorts, was working that tiny explosion.

^___________^

Working on SpellDown!

yadurajiv
Level 0

~.^ wut you say?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »

Update - May 23rd, 2017

Today was basically spend on the following...

• Asset loading and caching via a tiny grouped json
  • Worked on a transition that can be applied on all scenes - a door open/close effect [ux]
  • capture accidental taps/touches during transitions [bugfix]
  • Housekeeping

That's it for today Smiley and too tired now to go back to work, after going out an playing some football with friends -_- Hope I get a lot more done tomorrow.

^___________^

Working on SpellDown!

yadurajiv
Level 0

~.^ wut you say?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 04:41:36 AM »

Update - May 25th, 2017

I had a late start yesterday and didn't get to really dig deep into what I wanted to do with the dungeon map generation, which I did today. The results were pretty good Smiley I was able to generate large maps as big as 100x100 within a fraction of a second, which was cool. Below are randomly generated maps with connected rooms. The green triangle is the start, the black triangle is the end; the red lines represent the doors/connections and the red squares are all dead ends. So in terms of number of tasks, I just have one Tongue lol.

^___________^

Working on SpellDown!

yadurajiv
Level 0

~.^ wut you say?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 08:35:27 PM »

Still working on those dungeons Smiley Here is a weekly round up - http://www.yadurajiv.com/2017/05/28/spelldown-devlog-3-weekly-roundup/

^___________^

Working on SpellDown!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »

I love the dungeon visualisation and the ui animations you have going! I would be really interested to see how you are creating the ui. Is there some kind of animation system in cocos2d-x? Looking forward to more.

yadurajiv
Level 0

~.^ wut you say?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 12:10:38 AM »

Yay! glad you liked it:) At the moment, I'm super excited and sidetracked and randomly exploring stuff after revisiting this XD

At the very beginning, I started out using Cocos Studio (which is now EOL'd since 3.10 - but you can still get it if you want as mentioned in this post); and at that point I had just updated cocos to 3.14. Since I didn't want any complications in the future, I decided to ditch Cocos Studio and basically do things by hand. All of it is in fact a lot of actions(ease*, move* etc) called together or in sequence with delays.

Sadly Cocos Creator is not really what Cocos Studio was and I didn't dig any deeper in that tangent hmm.

^___________^

Working on SpellDown!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic