Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:37:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOur Life - A Cooperative Video Game For Couples
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Our Life - A Cooperative Video Game For Couples  (Read 394 times)
brock555
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:06:44 AM »

Our Life is a cooperative game that explores the beauty and pain a couple experiences in marriage over the course of a lifetime.

My wife and I have been married 11 years and we have really struggled to be a team. Honestly, a lot days its been a struggle to even be friends. My wife isn't a gamer, but I love games and have been an indie developer for the last five years.  Video games and game development in a lot of ways has been a divisive activity, or at least an isolating one, for our relationship. My hope for this project is to use game development as an activity that brings us together. By spending time discussing the dynamics of our relationship and modeling those dynamics in systems, we might be able to better understand our relationship and each other.

OurLifeGame.com
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:46:02 AM by brock555 » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »

Yeah, the Northways are somewhat of an exception:

Have you played The Marriage?  Probably playing it separately first is better and could be useful for discussion about your relationship.

On a similar topic, do you have a "framework" for your relationship discussions/exploration?  Some things might be evident but others may need some further exploration.  Just to mention one:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Love_Languages  The "languages" and main ideas are mentioned on the webpage and can give you a good idea if you are one the same page.

In a way, I'm interested in how your "game" will develop.

brock555
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »

The Northways are a cute couple. If we have a portion of the fun it looks like they have, it would be a success for us Smiley

The Marriage and Passage are definite sources of inspiration for the game. The Five Love Languages is a fantastic book. We read it together during our pre-marital counseling, but that was eleven years ago and deserves another reading. There are actually a handful of relationship books we plan on reading together during development and that one was at the top.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic