Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 09:51:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Teamwork (communication with artists)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Teamwork (communication with artists)  (Read 854 times)
intertum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:56:25 AM »

Hi we are intertum here you can see our last project (we hired a freelancer), anyway now we are starting a new project with our own artists and I think I haven't been able to communicate in an effective way with them, I will try to be as clear as possible.

We decide that to animate with bones would be convenient rather than frame by frame, I searched for references to games that more or less look like I want our project to be, but it seems to be counter-productive, they went distracted by things I don't want  ("that effect is awesome I want to do that") and put ideas in their head that do not match with our game.

For me, it makes sense to show them a couple of characters and ask for something in between, but our brains seem to be wired different (I'm a computer engineer by the way).

I feel they take to much time in concept art which I believe is not necessary for a small team such as our. I want the development to be agile without many ceremony or protocol but I don't want to be inflexible and uncomprehensive (i know many artists complaint of their bosses intransigency).

I can't nor want to tell them how to make their work, I want to give them freedom and opinion but I can't let them do whatever they want.

Well, I have talked (written) much, hope someone can give some advice and if I said something stupid please forgive me I have no bad intention I promise.

\"2V Hoverbike\"
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 06:06:01 AM »

Those sound like reasonable complaints, but shouldn't you be telling this stuff to them instead the internet at large? You just have to talk to them.

What's your relationship with them? They're not freelancers, are they getting paid? It sounds like you are still their boss? (whether they agree with that or not . . . ) If they're supposed to be equal partners maybe you need to remind them that they have equal responsibility to get the game done in this lifetime. Though I would probably phrase it as a question, like "Hey, it seems like the art department is lagging behind a bit. Do you want to be responsible for getting art assets done, or do you want me to assign you tasks?"

I wouldn't underestimate the value of concept art if you want your game to look nice, clear, and cohesive, but it's easy to slide from "exploring different key concept designs" to "doodling around wasting time".

intertum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »

Hey, thank you  Smiley
Yes, I'll talk to them but I was afraid that my complaints have no real fundament so I wanted the opinion of someone with experience. My artists are young, inexperienced and seem to believe blindly what their whith-no-real-field-expertise teachers say. Your answer is really helpful.

\"2V Hoverbike\"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic