Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:13:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFIGHT KNIGHT - puzzley 3d Punch-Out dungeon crawling!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: FIGHT KNIGHT - puzzley 3d Punch-Out dungeon crawling!  (Read 14710 times)
B
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:03:16 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1139574598/fight-knight

wowe we did it! thank you for the interest, I hope you try the demo and enjoy it!

demo: https://boen.itch.io/fight-knight-ks

------------------------------------------------------------

Hey TIG, My friends and I are making this game called FIGHT KNIGHT and we think it's pretty cool. We've been working on it for a few months now, and I think it's finally getting to a stage where it's something we can be proud of Smiley

it's basically a dungeon crawler, except that when you uncover an enemy encounter, instead of the fight playing out in a turn based format it turns into a realtime lane based action game! it's kind of hard to describe, but to pick a few names out of a hat, the combat is working out to be somewhere between GodHand, Punch-Out and Megaman Battle Network.

the rest of the game is more of your expected explore-a-fantasy-dungeon-climb-a-magical-tower fare, but with more of a puzzle focus. The story is basically you're climbing a big tower, and each floor of the tower is a little circular slice of some place and time in the world. It's all very magical. And the hook to the game, that you might have noticed by now, is that you do everything through punching! Tongue I mean everything. boy does fight knight like punching things

Here's a few videos to give you an idea of what the game looks like in motion:

part of the beginning to the game, explaining the player's predicament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viHZAsJaBsA this is the tomb whipper, a new enemy I recently added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTDNO4zOGuQ slightly longer video, should give you an idea of the basic gameflow

Anyways yeah! that's about it so far. I'll try to post updates on what we're up to at least every few days here from now until the game is finished, so I hope you all enjoy!

you can also check us out at:

bn05.tumblr.com

www.twitter.com/sorcerobe

Thanks!  Grin
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:33:52 PM by B » Logged
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:21:47 PM »

Thanks! I've spent a fair amount working out exactly how to do the visuals, so I appreciate the compliment. I think the system it's using is pretty weird but gives the game a really unique look. Basically, I'm taking the color channels from the full RGB image, and separately crushing each channel down into a 5 color palette with dithering to fill out the gradient. So because of that we can only ever have 3 distinct color ramps, but the cool thing is that those colors can be changed to completely alter the look of the game at any moment. It also gives us a lot less to worry about in terms of asset production, since we're essentially working in grayscale
wuuthrer
Level 0

I draw stuff, I make games, I like it dirty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:57:31 PM »

Waouw.

- Don't Kill Her -
  No choice is given, but the rest belongs to us.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »

puuuunnncchh

Caravaggio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 12:08:03 AM »

This looks great, that first gif is the kind of thing that will sell some units.

Curious about this color ramping, do you have any clips that show it changing during gameplay?  I imagine if you are doing that it'd be during something specific like a stat / condition change. I'm picturing something rather psychedelic anyway.
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 01:10:27 AM »

Ah, I remember seeing gif on twitter how you made those hands. Looks really promising and silly fun, but I hope there is a setting to tone bit down that camera movement.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »

This looks kickass, I can't wait to see more!
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 11:04:18 AM »

nice!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »

this whips ass. it looks like a good version of The Super Spy crossed with doom rpg.

also if you could include an npc who habitually says "ok jim" it would be appreciated

B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »

Haha, thanks everyone! regarding toning down the camera, The game has settings regarding exactly that. I'm definitely aware that not everyone has the stomach for such a bouncy camera! I wouldn't want anyone to be unable to play the game because of a physical reaction like that, that'd suck. I think there's still a lot more to do in this area, but here's where the settings are at so far.

And about palette transitions, it's actually fairly underutilized right now! each floor has its own palette, and then I use the system for fade-to-black transitions and things along those lines, but I haven't yet had a good opportunity to implement something that shows off just how dynamic it can be. One thing I was imagining is having the palette shift when you enter/leave the buildings in the main town hub of the game. Hopefully I can get around to figuring that out soon
eenewton
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 03:37:03 AM »

Long time lurker here – just had to sign in to say your game looks amazing!

The whole "punching is your only form of expression" is also fantastic.  And whenever you're in dialogue scenes, and you punch the person to skip faster, I kept waiting to see "OOF!" or "OW!" inserted where you had hurried them along.  Like,  

"Oh, Fight Knight, it's you!  I've been – "

*punch*

"OW! – waiting for you all this time!"
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 04:25:36 AM »

Yeah that's real man there. Does all the talking with his fists. Beer!

Kinda want to say that since the whole game we'll be punching things...the default animation might get old real quick. That waving bobbing open palm stance feels....weird, to say the least.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 04:30:45 AM »

This is easily one of the coolest looking games I've ever seen.
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 03:21:28 AM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, glad to see the mood is coming across Smiley Regarding the worry over the visuals getting too repetitive, there will hopefully be a pretty decent variety of special attacks and fist skins to keep the visual impact fresh

I spent a bunch of time sprucing up the hud today. You can compare against the stuff I linked before, there's a lot more flourish now i think. the heart in the center hopefully conveys what the bar it's surrounded by represents, and the speed that it beats will also be used to help clue the player in to a few different things.

Also I swapped through a few palettes to show off how that looks, it's nothing fancy but it is pretty handy
Canned Turkey
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »

I love the depth that the slight palette shifting gives the highlights, really wonderful visuals all around.
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 10:57:35 AM »

You know how some games are ugly? This is the opposite of that.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 06:15:26 AM »

Thanks guys!

I spent most of today fixing up a bunch of small things that have been on my todo list for a while, one of them was completely filling out the accessibility options for the camera.

Now you can lessen or even disable various aspects of the unnecessary motion the camera makes if you find it to be a bit too much. It's not quite as exciting looking this way, but I'm sure it'll be appreciated by some
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 06:33:17 AM »

Damn, those healthbars look sexy. I like the heart pumping.
tharky
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 04:50:47 PM »

I made an account just to tell you how amazing this game looks. I usually lurk everywhere, but this game looks so awesome, I just had to share my feelings to keep you guys going  Grin As a developer, I know how it feels to have some sort of feedback. I also LOVE grid based dungeon crawlers, so there's also that. Well, I can't think of any suggestive feedback so I'll just keep lurking around, in the shadows  Ninja
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 03:55:58 AM »

Ahh thanks to both of you! really encouraging to hear

I've spent time today retooling the special attack system in preparation for some new ones, And I had a great idea for how to make the 100 INCH PUNCH a bit cooler

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic