Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:25:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDON'T GIVE UP: A Cynical Tale, a comedic RPG about personal growth. Out Now!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: DON'T GIVE UP: A Cynical Tale, a comedic RPG about personal growth. Out Now!  (Read 20578 times)
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »

I'm back from a luxurious week of gaming and combat has had some huge features worked in!

Changes:

Dizzy status has been implemented (when enemies take a number of hits in a short period they go dizzy)
Enemies shake and take pretentious amounts of damage during combat to make the player feel like Hercules (ROAR)
Special Attack implemented! (SMASH)
Collisions have been tightened!
Dialogue occurs during fights!

Still to do:

Tiny bits and tweaks
Defeat cases
Victory cases

Those will be in the next update! I'm also thinking about redoing Tris's sprite for combat and making him look a bit more cool! I'm not experienced with detailed pixel people so we'll see how it goes! Once this is done we can focus on continuing to implement the story!

I'm really happy with how this is turning out, any thoughts would be welcomed!

I could also use more twitter and facebook followers so if you're feeling generous:

https://www.facebook.com/cynical7game
https://twitter.com/TheFoolishBrave

ProfessorOFun
Level 0

Professor O' Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »

This looks awesome. I am really impressed that so many games on the front page of this forum are games that I think to myself "I would love to play this. I can't wait until it is released!" This is one of them.

I am usually disinterested in nearly all games. I guess I just love indie stuff like this more than I realize.
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »

This looks awesome. I am really impressed that so many games on the front page of this forum are games that I think to myself "I would love to play this. I can't wait until it is released!" This is one of them.

I am usually disinterested in nearly all games. I guess I just love indie stuff like this more than I realize.

I was super delighted to read this response yesterday! My game inspiring non gamers to play? I love it! I hope you'll keep following because we're aggressively banging out this demo and it should be ready for public presentation prettayyyyyy soon :D

ProfessorOFun
Level 0

Professor O' Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »

I was super delighted to read this response yesterday! My game inspiring non gamers to play? I love it! I hope you'll keep following because we're aggressively banging out this demo and it should be ready for public presentation prettayyyyyy soon :D

I am happy you were so delighted Smiley

I do however wish to clarify, I am absolutely a very, very hardcore gamer.  Cool That's the thing though - I've played nearly everything so much, for so long, that nearly all games 'these days' look uninteresting to me.

Yours brings back that delight I have for good video games.  Gentleman So while I can't say it draws in non-gamers, I can say it draws in this veteran gamer who has seen it all & really want to try something new, something interesting, something far greater than everything else released these days. In my personal opinion, and only as a gamer (not in the lens of a gamedev), I see 99.99% of games released these days as utter trash. Your game looks like a treasure. Which IMO, is a greater compliment than the non-gamer thing! It takes a very strong game (amazing art style, super interesting theme, deep gameplay, or just kickass polish) to impress me enough to peak my interest. IMO, I am a very hard sale because I've "been there, done that" so much, hehe!  Noir

Then again any mention of "Earthbound" and holy crap - you've got my attention immediately & the screenshots within kept it very well Beer!

Your forum signature pic is especially appealing to me. Well done! I love the main character too - especially with some ethnicity to him. It is so tiring seeing every main character in games being "typical white male". It is very refreshing to see a main character with a darker skin tone & a rad hair style. The 90's coloring / outfit is so awesome too. And love that grey 2-pixel streak in his hair! Great character design. Very interesting character; refreshing look. Just staring at the forum sig makes me want to know more about his personality & background.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:28:20 PM by ProfessorOFun » Logged
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »

I am happy you were so delighted Smiley

I do however wish to clarify, I am absolutely a very, very hardcore gamer.  Cool That's the thing though - I've played nearly everything so much, for so long, that nearly all games 'these days' look uninteresting to me.

Yours brings back that delight I have for good video games.  Gentleman So while I can't say it draws in non-gamers, I can say it draws in this veteran gamer who has seen it all & really want to try something new, something interesting, something far greater than everything else released these days. In my personal opinion, and only as a gamer (not in the lens of a gamedev), I see 99.99% of games released these days as utter trash. Your game looks like a treasure. Which IMO, is a greater compliment than the non-gamer thing! It takes a very strong game (amazing art style, super interesting theme, deep gameplay, or just kickass polish) to impress me enough to peak my interest. IMO, I am a very hard sale because I've "been there, done that" so much, hehe!  Noir

Then again any mention of "Earthbound" and holy crap - you've got my attention immediately & the screenshots within kept it very well Beer!

Your forum signature pic is especially appealing to me. Well done! I love the main character too - especially with some ethnicity to him. It is so tiring seeing every main character in games being "typical white male". It is very refreshing to see a main character with a darker skin tone & a rad hair style. The 90's coloring / outfit is so awesome too. And love that grey 2-pixel streak in his hair! Great character design. Very interesting character; refreshing look. Just staring at the forum sig makes me want to know more about his personality & background.

Even more of a compliment then! I plan on introducing more backstory and character info this weekend!

In the demo planned the surface only gets scratched and the real premise of the game doesn't come to light so I really haven't wanted to spoil anything too far ahead, or describe the premise and people are like "This game has nothing to do with ANY of that", the game has a HEAVY focus on character development, and I wanted to do that properly, so the early parts of the game is really about getting to know the cast.

I heard someone say something similar about ethnic characters in video games, and I thought to myself, that's so true. There's nothing wrong with a white or white-ish main character, but does that mean they almost all have to be? I'm a big believer of taking things into my own hands, so I decided to actually have my main character be a lot like me, a lot of his backstory coincides with real events of my life and I even tried to similarize the personality as well! Check this weekend at some point for a character update! (I'll be redoing their portraits so once they're done I'll throw them up with blurbs and info!)

I really hope I can make a game with some classicness to it that people will want to replay a decade from now like I did for the longest with the Secret of Mana games and Chrono Trigger, one of my, if not favorite eras of gaming!

ProfessorOFun
Level 0

Professor O' Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 07:01:04 PM »

Awesome!  Smiley
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »

New logo and character portraits! Woohoo!

Now that the demo is coming along I'd like to focus more on the characters and backstory
of Cynical 7! Today we'll be taking a slightly deeper look into the cast of the demo!

Tris

An aspiring game developer who suffers from anxiety and chronic “people disliking disorder”. He moved to Threeson 4 years ago after the “incident”. An unemployed introvert with only a handful of friends, Tris desperately seeks to find some sort of fulfillment in his life before his time (and his bank account) runs dry.

Likes: Anything with pork belly in it, especially pizza, mmmm
Dislikes: Social media zombies

Billie

Billie moved to Threeson only a few days before the events of Cynical 7 under seemingly rushed circumstancies. Billie is a reserved individual who doesn’t talk much about her history, short of looking for a fresh start. She’s cautious, blunt, and wants to see the good in people, but it’s clear a huge chunk of emptiness lies within her.

Dislikes: People who dress up their animals

Jess

A quirky girl with no shortage of enthusiastic optimism visiting Threeson. Tris and Jess met during the Pikiman Go phase of 2016 back in their hometown of New Yorkshire. Tris asked her out for pizza and she said no, and they’ve been friends since. She enjoys thrifting, nerd jargon, and an assortment of crafts.

Dislikes: Violence

Ryne

An almost textbook definition of a muscle head. He can take an extravagant approach to situation and adorns his pecs and his golden locks almost as much as the air he breathes. But make no mistake he’s an undercover softy and far from brainless. He works for some Threesome’s shadier characters, but what is his goal?

Dislikes: Huh?

Threeson

A mini metropolitan city where many people move to the get away from the turmoil of a large city but still have access to all the major venues of entertainment. It’s got something for people of any age, from an arcade equipped with a snackbar, to a strip joint with a VIP, to its very own mob. The citizens aren’t aware yet, but things are about to really shake up in this city and a certain failing game developer will lie at the center of it all.

This week I'll be focusing on finalizing combat and then plugging in the core content for the demo! So expect to see a lot more character and plot specifics come from the coming weeks updates! :D

As always any feed back and thoughts are appreciated!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 03:06:51 PM »

Hey Folks!

Another combat update today!

Now that the core mechanics are in, I focused on adding some "fun" elements to the combat and making the experience smoother.
I have to say, I am really critical of my own work, and even I must admit the combat feels pretty unique and fun!

Changes:

Text will indicate when you're doing things right, and when you're not, this way you don't constantly have to eyeball your meters while trying to dodge attacks (the text will be repositioned and made smaller in the next combat update)

Enemy attacks now have effects that! (Might make this happen only when Tris takes damage from the attacks)

Victory conditions are now implemented as well as a victory pose!

Most importantly, enemies can now move between the action zone as well and you now have to move with them in order to land hits!

Next update:

Adjust battle text
Make weapon effects larger
Alternate attack animations

I have some ideas for some really fun ultra attacks down the line so we'll see when there's time to work them in!

This basically wraps things up for combat! Next update should be something more story based, we'll be working on the intro for the game next!

As always comments and feedback are always welcome!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »

Content Update!

I'm proud to announce that Cynical 7 is an actual game now!

There's an intro, a tutorial, combat, and even tasks to complete!
The weeks ahead will be aiming to implement the demo content in its entirety and focusing on polish afterwards!

In the opening scene of the game Tris has to confront of a purse snatcher and defend the honor of the elderly! Why does he have to do this? Why not?!

Other tasks include getting dressed and taking showers! Very hardcore stuff here folks  Beer!

Stay tuned for the next installment of Threeson life with Tris!

I also wrote an inspiration blurb on the front page of the dev log if you're interested! Over the weekend I'll be sharing some sprites and content that we plan on plugging in!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »

Today for our Sunday Update- Let's talk ENEMIES!

As I've mentioned before, this game will mostly consist of boss fights only! That means each enemy will be a unique character with a backstory that ties in meaningfully to the plot!

So what are enemies like?

Enemies are usually giant in nature, and have unique attacks and abilities.

For the example of McRobberson,

he uses knives as a switchblade is his weapon of choice!

Each enemy will have a minimum of three unique attack graphics in addition to on-hit effects, McRobberson's effect is poison!

Each enemy will have a unique component they bring to the battlefield whether it's enhanced speed, defense, healing, debuffs, or something else tricky!

Stay tuned for the next enemy: THE IRATE CUSTOMER!

I've also been working on bringing some charm to the game in the form of NPCs livening up the battlefields in additional to alternate animations for Tris's attacks!

I've even got some funky alternate ultra attacks in the works including a giant floppy disk and booty shorts complete with actual booty to slam down on your enemies!

Who doesn't wanna drop a giant butt on their opponents?

Until next time!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »

It's time today for another fabulous update!

Todays Topic? Polish!

Right now after 2 years I'm finally at a point where I feel i've basically put together
more than enough assets to finish the demo and then some, so with Jarnik catching up on
coding tasks I've got time to polish the game, you know- give it charm and pizzazz!

Some of the things I'm working on are unique NPCs that will be in the background during battles, you might even recognize some familiar *cough cough non-infringing cough* faces!

Not to mention that spiffy phone I was working on will be a part of the game as well!
Eventually I'd like the phone to serve as a fun menu, but for the time being it's going to be
mainly some flashy eye candy for when you make or receive a call!

Other things I'm working on include making animations for interactable objects around the
world as well as unique NPCs! You might even recognize some of them from some classic PBS Programming!

The intro has also gotten a new look since the last version!

NEW

OLD

Until next time- thanks for reading! And please follow my social pages
if you support this project!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »

Hey Folks! Hope you're having a great weekend!

Today's update? More STORY!

All the games I've worked on until now have basically been straight forward arcade or action games, so since this is an RPG narrative, i'm never quite sure how much to tell without being too specific and spoiling it, or being too vague and not generating enough interest, however, today we'll take a look at one of the early quests in the game: THE PIZZA QUEST!

In this very most difficult of tasks, Tris must attempt to obtain a pizza from his local pizza shop. However, this pizza is GOOD, and some folks might even be willing to fight for it...

Can Tris make it back to his home in one piece? (and preferably WITH a pizza?)
Find out when the demo is out!

Hopefully only another 2-3 weeks until the first public ready version is finished! Thanks for reading, and please support on social media if you're enjoying the dev log!

As always if you have any questions or comments I'm happy to receive them!

RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 05:31:41 PM »

You should add a signature, with the links to your social medias. It's more convenient.

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »

You should add a signature, with the links to your social medias. It's more convenient.

Thanks for the suggestion! Somehow, I've actually never thought of this >.>

subliminalman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »

Just saw this over at itch.io! Really diggin it :D

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 02:51:25 PM »

Just saw this over at itch.io! Really diggin it :D

Hey! Good to see you on here as well Tongue I hope to continue receiving a warm welcome on Itch.io (and eventually get the game up there in maybe a month's time!)

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »

Quote from: thefoolishbrave
No pointless grinding here!

This one sentence in the first post is my favorite. I'll be following!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2017, 05:39:03 AM »

It's been a bit since I've been here, but...

Butt attacks, crazy-awesome-looking enemies, and everything in between.

Kudos to you! Congratulations on making leaps and bounds with progress!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »

HELLO AGAIN FOLKS!

It's time for another update! I've been slightly busy lately and by busy I mean playing unhealthy amounts of League of Legends so the updates have been a bit slower but the progress has been great!

Since the last post all the core scenes of the demo have been implemented with the exception of one that will be worked on through the next week (it's highly possible all the scenes will be in place by next week's end)

I've shown a lot of screen shots focusing on combat and visuals but today I wanna take sometime to share a little more of Cynical 7's dialogue and character interaction!

A fun feature that was put in was the addition of a brain portrait to represent Tris's inner thoughts for comedic effect.

Billie and Tris are two of the game's main characters, Billie just moved into town and Tris quickly develops are bumbling crush on her. Let's see what happens!

Tris is having an inner monologue in which he argues with himself, you can expect a lot of this. Boy got issues.

And because I had to, I even threw a Seinfeld parody up into the mix.

Did I mention there's also trains?

Tris will often have to head off to other parts of Threeson and he'll need to ride trains to do it! Why? Why not? I rode the train a butt load growing up in NYC AND IT'S JUST KIND OF COOL WHEN YOUR CHARACTER GETS TO RIDE A TRAIN AND GO PLACES LIKE A REAL PERSON OKAY?!

As always if you enjoyed this post feel free to follow Cynical 7 on social channels using the TAGS IN MY SIG (thanks for the suggestion RizeoftheSummonds) OR on the front page of this devlog! Until next time folks!

Tris

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:32:21 AM by thefoolishbrave » Logged

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »

Quote from: thefoolishbrave
No pointless grinding here!

This one sentence in the first post is my favorite. I'll be following!

Thank you kindly sir! I will do my best to earn your retention!

It's been a bit since I've been here, but...

Butt attacks, crazy-awesome-looking enemies, and everything in between.

Kudos to you! Congratulations on making leaps and bounds with progress!

Heya! You were one of the first people to reply to my game and I'm grateful for that, having someone even show interest in your game in its infancy is a major boost and i'm glad to see you're still around! I just posted a nice content update above so check it out! ^_^

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic