Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:05:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBallad of the Space Bard: if Scott Pilgrim was a low-budget Telltale series
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Ballad of the Space Bard: if Scott Pilgrim was a low-budget Telltale series  (Read 18144 times)
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »

https://boingboing.net/2018/06/28/rip-harlan-ellison.html
https://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/harlan-ellison-1934-2018

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »

I think I'm coming to terms with a new axiom of developing this game:

Axiom of the Space Bard #1

This game can be as ambitious as I want it to be, but linearity of development progress is a non-negotiable sacrifice.

Some other things at work (including actual progress on the first episode's content) and new floods of inspiration I'll try to write about later.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2018, 05:33:17 AM »

One option would be to chop it up into smaller "chapters" of games. That's an approach a friend of mine took to deal with his ambitions
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »

In case anyone's interested, I'm back at school for another year and it's looking like this project can become my undergraduate thesis--in other words, I'll have a deadline and institutional support in putting frequent work into it besides just writing down random phrases and quotes to be the names of fake bands/songs. (At no point since conceiving the idea for this game have I ever stopped doing that.)

So I'll be meeting with the artist to talk out a roadmap soon! And also, to keep getting much-needed practice with Ink I've been working on a smaller text-based space adventure with a friend I met in New York. We're hoping to submit it to this year's IFComp, meaning that by September 28 I'll have shipped my first finished game since The Whisperer in Darkness a couple years back.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2018, 01:41:36 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left

Sounds like the healthy kind of pressure + structure to move this project forward. Good luck!
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2018, 03:06:34 PM »

Currently watching this talk by a fellow Recurse Center alum:

It hits the nail on the head as far as where all my motivation on this project went. I did so much thinking in a fixed mindset ("I released a visual novel on Steam so I will obviously be able to do it again without any setbacks!") and not enough in a growth mindset. So many things about this project are different than the strategy I used to make The Whisperer in Darkness, that it's crazy how much I've used that project as the bar for success in this one.

I'm planning to start releasing preview snippets of Space Bard so that people who are interested can see more of what it looks like in a concrete way, and I can be getting feedback on which of my ideas are worth following. So look forward to that!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic