Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:22:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopCritique my top down characters, what can I do to make them better?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Critique my top down characters, what can I do to make them better?  (Read 2882 times)
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »

Here's the base image:

Facing away:

Sideways view: (This is the one I am personally iffy on)

And the idle animation:

It's probably a bit small, here's a blown up image of the base image and side sprite

Looking for suggestions and opinions on how I can improve my pixel art.

Update: Had another go, looking for a hand with the left/right sprite

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:16:14 AM by rbargholz » Logged

Dungeon Chef - Play as a towns-person by day and help your town recover from a storm, fight monsters by night!
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »

I'm not really sure what kind of style you're going for here, but here are a couple of general pointers that might really help you.

1. think of your sprite as a 3d object, this will influence, the angle, shadow and light.
2. When you have colors that are almost the same as other colors, and thus not contributing, delete them.
3. Dithering at small sizes usually adds unneeded/unwanted texture. Try to make tight color clusters.
4. over-exaggerate/emphasize parts that are important, it will make it more readable at small sizes. (keep an eye at the silhouette)

quick example
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 12:11:49 AM »

Thanks very much for giving me a hand! I gave it another go and came back with this, but I'm finding it very hard to come up with a view of him facing left/right

Gotta work more on it.

Dungeon Chef - Play as a towns-person by day and help your town recover from a storm, fight monsters by night!
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:21:20 AM »

quick example

Great re-make :D

My last game:

Supporter of
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:46:52 AM »

Thanks very much for giving me a hand! I gave it another go and came back with this, but I'm finding it very hard to come up with a view of him facing left/right

Gotta work more on it.

The arms spread out definitely improved readability. It was looking like a person carrying two balls. I think it could still be improved by having some abs showing as well by reducing the pecs.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic