Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:05:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWe are being eaten again - A 2.5D survival game with sprite characters
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: We are being eaten again - A 2.5D survival game with sprite characters  (Read 822 times)
shakazed
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2017, 01:50:07 AM »

Hello!

I just recently started working on a new game. It's a 3D survival game with sprite characters.
I'll initially make a game where you have to defend a house from hordes of enemies by boarding up windows, barricading doors and blasting brains, but I want to expand it later on with a procedurally generated world.

I'm using Unity for this project and since I've just started on the game there are hardly no graphics, just gray boxes Smiley

Here are a couple of gifs atleast Wink

Testing out Unity's new dynamic navmesh. So far it works really well for me.

Some blood splatter and simple gun animation.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:54:46 AM by shakazed » Logged
shakazed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 05:42:34 AM »

I want as much of the game mechanics in place before I start replacing the prototype graphics so I just added doors between the rooms. I'm not sure if I want the doors to automatically close or not. At the moment the player has to close the door him/herself.
Next I'll be working on enemy attacking the player because currently they just stalk you around the building Tongue

shakazed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »

Added zombie attacks. (No animations yet though) and made the hand of the player character follow the mouse cursor. The gun is now parented to the hand so that it actually looks like the character is holding it.

shakazed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:46:26 PM »

Done did some work on the AI. I've decided to separate the logic into action-classes and then create a prioritized list of actions for each npc type. This will promote code reusibility and make it simple to create new npc types using existing actions.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:22:32 AM »

Reminds me of an old iOS game called Zombieville I played to death. Super fun game with simple upgrades and movement similar to this. Look forward to more! As a programmer it is nice to hear you talking about code reusability this early in development. The more work you put in when prototyping the base game the easier it will be to expand upon.

shakazed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »

Yeah I remember that game :D
Glad you enjoyed it! Smiley
I'll be posting more programming stuff as I go along. I'm a software engineer by trade so I enjoy all the juicy "behind the scene" stuff. AI in particular is one of my favourite topics so I'm hoping I get to explore that more in this project.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic