Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:37:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPR question about press copies
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PR question about press copies  (Read 1040 times)
francismoy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:25:56 AM »

Hi!

I'm about to release my first game on Steam: Breaking Fast (you can read more about it on the Devlog section). The release is scheduled in June, 8th.

Last week I sent a press release through a PR agency, mainly to announce the launch date of the game. As part of the press release, interested recipients could ask for a press copy, and several of them did so.

My questions are the following:

- Given that it's around 11 days until release, should I send them Steam keys now, or shoud I wait to be closer to release before sending keys (say, 2 or 3 days before)?
- If they don't specify a concrete number, how many keys is generally a good practice to send? Just one? Two? More?
- Do you have experience with Keymailer? They sent me an e-mail informing that Breaking Fast was up on their site, although I didn't do anything about it. Do you recommend me using this service?

Thanks in advance.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »

1 key per vehicle is the standard practice. But as long as they're not abusing I don't see why not send one more if they're really needing it.
As for "when", it depends on the game really. How much time do you think the reviewer needs to finish it? Is a week ok? 2 days? A month!? In most cases I think 1 week is ok, 2 or 3 days before is not enough, gotta remember they probably have also other games to play. You can always put an embargo if you don't want reviews too early, nothing fancy just tell them to not post anything until a specific date.

daweave
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »

Last week I sent a press release through a PR agency, mainly to announce the launch date of the game. As part of the press release, interested recipients could ask for a press copy, and several of them did so.

Was wondering who you used and how was your experience? I see some cheaper places that offer to blast your press release, but I'm not sure how well those will work. Glad to hear you got several places asking you for press copies!
francismoy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 10:37:59 AM »

Thanks for your answer, Tuba.

Was wondering who you used and how was your experience? I see some cheaper places that offer to blast your press release, but I'm not sure how well those will work. Glad to hear you got several places asking you for press copies!

Thanks! We did it with Talking about Media, also because we had met them in a game event and we got along pretty well. Anyway, at the end they should send you a report with statistics although it's true that it's a matter of trust in their professionalism. I think that, unless you're willing to devote a huge amount of time to find e-mail addresses, and to write and format e-mails, going through a PR agency is the way to go.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic