Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:21:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGoo
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Goo  (Read 6648 times)
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
Goo
« on: October 13, 2007, 12:04:55 AM »

Hello,

I'm very new to the independent game development community, though I'm far from new when it comes to software and game development. My friend Bezzy (a longtime member of this forum) and I are working on a game called Goo. It's entered into IGF this year and hopefully we'll get a nomination, though the quality of games submitted seems to be quite high. Even still I think we have a chance. I actually don't have an available build as the system requirements are kinda high and to be honest I don't feel like making a public build available at this time. What I do have is a video that acts as a sort of walk through of the entire game. Basically, just want to know what people think of the video and their impressions of the game based on what's shown in the video. Also, any feedback on the appearance of the game (it's shitty programmer art right now) would be greatly appreciated.

You can watch the video here: http://goo.pillowfortgames.com

I appreciate any feedback anyone can throw my way.

Thanks,

Tommunism

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 01:00:30 AM »

You know, I remember playing a game with the exact same gameplay mechanic a while back. It was a freware PC game where you had to basically do the same thing, use a cursor to wrap liquid around your opponents' and absorb their mass into yours. It was very basic, but one thing it had were levels, which had many different shaped walls that changed the avenues you could take to wrap your liquid around the enemy's. I wish I remembered the name of it.

What your game does of different is how you control the 'goo'. Instead of just pulling it around like in that game (the cursor was more of an attractor) in here you can launch it, suck it in, stuff like that, which probably makes your game better in the gameplay area.

The color mechanics were very interesting. The color chaining, the fact that when different enemies fused their color changed appropriately and their AI became more advanced. It seems to be very well designed. Also, Jeff Minter would probably like your game. Tongue

The visual ideas you guys have so far seem very interesting.

This really seems like a multiplayer-centric game, as I imagine playing by oneself on Survival would get boring eventually. I'd like to see something like a Challenge mode, in which the game would throw many unique challenges at the player to keep things interesting.

Looking forward to it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 01:02:13 AM »

You mean Liquid War: http://www.ufoot.org/liquidwar/v5
                     http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 01:02:49 AM »

Exactly. Thanks.

Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:06:20 AM »

No problem, oh and looking forward to the game, wil it be freeware Huh?
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 01:14:58 AM »

No problem, oh and looking forward to the game, wil it be freeware Huh?
Sorry:( unfotunately it won't be. We're shooting for an Xbox Live release. As it gets closer to completion, I'll probably release a public demo, but the full version will be exculsive to Live.

You are right, survival mode can get boring if you keep clearing waves (which right now is possible if you play aggresively enough...at least for the first 13 or so waves, then everything spawns hella-fast and you die quick). There is still a ton of balance that needs to be done (I mention in the video I didn't have enough Green Goo for it to actually attack me) so, trying to find ways to keep it always interesting. Actually, for survival, really want to sort of capture that Geometry wars type despiration. You know the whole "Shit shit shit SHIT RED GUY SHIT BOOM...haha red guy...crap here's 80 green guys coming at me". That would really up the excitement and I think it can be done with some balance.

Tommy

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 01:20:17 AM »

Aw, just 360? no PC versions?

Anyway, looks incredible! Very very cool idea.

Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 01:23:08 AM »

I've seen a video of Goo before somewhere rather, it looks like a lot of fun. The one thing I will mention is that the menu system seems a bit cluttered; at the moment the options expand whereas in the past you zoomed in, which looked cleaner to me - perhaps if the words alone were visible rather than having solid circles this wouldn't be an issue though. That's just first impression, I don't know what you're shooting for given you've just got programmer art at the moment.
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 01:26:35 AM »

Aw, just 360? no PC versions?

Anyway, looks incredible! Very very cool idea.

Thanks, and thank Bezzy too. As of right now, no PC release is planned. Though, with the whole "Live for Windows" thing, I'm not ruling it out after the initial 360 launch...also not ruling out a PS3 launch.

Tommy

Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 01:35:40 AM »

perhaps if the words alone were visible rather than having solid circles this wouldn't be an issue though. That's just first impression, I don't know what you're shooting for given you've just got programmer art at the moment.

Yea, the menu is really cluttered now just because of all the crappy circles popping up. Here's what we're aiming for, something more along the lines of traveling into a goo and it splitting to show more options:

and while I"m at it..here's the concept for the new hud:

Tommy

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 01:37:51 AM »

I like that look. Just for the love of all that is holy fix that contrast. It kills my eyes to try and read those white letters on a bright green surface.

Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 01:51:01 AM »

Ah, very cool  Smiley Well, don't think there's much else I can say; I do like the way there's very little in the way of a HUD to get in the way.
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »

I like that look. Just for the love of all that is holy fix that contrast. It kills my eyes to try and read those white letters on a bright green surface.
What? You don't like the blooming glowing eyecancer inducing white on the blooming glowing eyecancer inducing green?

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »

Good luck.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 11:03:52 AM »

My eyes don't like cancer.

They had an argument with it.

Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 12:56:36 PM »

My eyes don't like cancer.

They had an argument with it.

Sounds to me like your eyes are racist! Tell me...are they racist?

I'm probably going to have a new video of Survival Mode up in the next week or so. I'll throw it on this thread when It's done. Thanks to everyone that viewed and offered feedback. Really appreciate it.

Tommy

Doncommie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »

I declare that this game looks neato.

I only wonder about the long term appeal.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 08:50:56 AM »

Will there ever be a demo available on pc? I'd like to try out. Videos are nice but I don't thrust a game that won't let me play Wink

Looks pretty neat and fun!
Later!

Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »

Will there ever be a demo available on pc? I'd like to try out. Videos are nice but I don't thrust a game that won't let me play Wink

Looks pretty neat and fun!
Later!

Haha. Understandable. The reason there isn't a PC demo out now is the system requirements are really pretty high. I plan on doing a PC demo as the game is a little closer to completion. I'll post when it's up..probably in the next couple of months it'll be for download.

Tommunism

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 10:44:08 AM »

Cool! Keep us noticed! Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic