Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1318840 Posts in 59249 Topics- by 50341 Members - Latest Member: TheFrayWorkshop

October 20, 2017, 11:48:02 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGoblin Pest Control - Top down Goblin Defense!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Goblin Pest Control - Top down Goblin Defense!  (Read 2364 times)
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« on: May 29, 2017, 03:16:57 am »

Latest Screenshots:

A top-down hack n slash horde defence game.
Use weapons, traps and consumables to defeat waves of goblins.
Random level generation.

About:

In a world where high level heroes are off in distant lands, slaying Dragons, Un-dead Kings and Necromancers, embarking on epic quests and defeating evil in its most powerful forms, a menace rises from under the earth to steal silverware, wee on things and generally be a nuisance. The Goblin horde comes!
As the leading (the only) pest control service in the land it’s up to you to deal with this mild annoyance, and whatever may follow...

There is a clear distinction between day and night. The daytime is when the goblins emerge to cause a ruckus, and the player uses hack n slash combat, powerups and pre-placed traps to kill them. The nighttime is when the player can run around the map, getting a lay of the land, placing traps and learning the locations of hp replenishing wells and environmental traps.

I’m making Goblin Pest Control in GameMaker, using its scripting language. So far all of the sounds are from the gamemaster Pro sound collection. However we’re looking forward to recording some goblin sounds in the future.

Features:

There are currently a number of systems already in place which don’t have any final artwork yet. These include:

-A Hack n slash combo system for the player.
    -Multiple weapons.
    -Trap placement.
    -Horticulture book for collecting powerups.
    -Actual powerups.
    -Player death screens, detailing their death.
    -Rivers
    -Multiple tilesets.
    -HUD elements and menu systems.

Us:

As of right now we are two people, James (the one writing this), and Alex. I’m programming and putting everything together, while Alex is producing the art and animation.

https://twitter.com/MantraTeam
https://www.instagram.com/alexmdraw/

We’ll keep you updated once a week with new artwork and features, or just how it’s coming along generally.

- James
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 05:35:32 am by MantraTeam » Logged
protactinium
Level 0

Working on 'The Village'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 05:32:46 am »

Looks interesting! Keep it updated!

I like the various plants
I would love to see some gifs that show how this works together

The Village - a sim builder / idle game merge
||devlog||twitter||
ManuScythe
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:26:27 am »

I LOVE Goblins, where are the goblins? I was specting to be able to play the goblins and infest the pretty town with insane gadgets and lots of explosions, cloth wings, baloons and the like.  Robbing and investing in technology research to conquer more cities to rob more would be so fun!

The fairytail-ish style looks cool tho. PD: Show us the goblins in motion, animations will be definitory :D
(Show us the goblins)

DuelCide A Dark ARPG about dueling, taking lives & dealing with consequences.
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 02:31:13 am »

I LOVE Goblins, where are the goblins? I was specting to be able to play the goblins and infest the pretty town with insane gadgets and lots of explosions, cloth wings, baloons and the like.  Robbing and investing in technology research to conquer more cities to rob more would be so fun!

The fairytail-ish style looks cool tho. PD: Show us the goblins in motion, animations will be definitory :D
(Show us the goblins)

Thanks for the comment!
The goblins are coming, and there will be wacky goblin gadgets made of janky floorboards and old bits of metal. We're still working on them at the moment but there isn't anything final yet.
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 06:27:39 am »

Looks interesting! Keep it updated!

I like the various plants
I would love to see some gifs that show how this works together

Thank you! As more of the artwork is made I'll be able to show off some of the actual mechanics, which will be fun.
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 10:00:08 am »

Hello

I am Alex and I am going to do this blogpost. I have been granted the immeasurable task of creating the artwork and animation for goblin pest control. There couldn't be a more perfect project for me. You may have heard the unfortunate rumours surrounding myself and certain goblins who will remain nameless, but let me assure you that they are indeed all true.

Anyway, I thought I'd start at the beginning without giving too much away. James always had a strong idea of how he wanted the game to play and feel in his head. Arguably the most appealing features are the goblins themselves and when it comes to goblins I am usually the person to talk to. I filled a small sketchbook with different ideas for various goblin types and their functionality. I don’t want to give much away at this point but here are some early sketches and a small bit of concept art.

There is nothing specific in these pages (only a small selection), but perhaps they are good indications of the sense of humour and visual style.
I look forward to showing you more drawings in the future, please stay tuned.

Alex
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:09:26 am »

Hey all,

Not a lot of visual progress has been made in the last week on my end, so I thought I’d share a bit about the night-time trap system.

So the game is split into two parts: day and night. The night-time is when the player can run freely around the map with no pressure, and place traps in anticipation for the following day. The idea is that the traps will work in conjuncture with each other, and act more like building blocks for larger player-build systems, than individual traps. EXAMPLE: Say there’s an enemy that can only be attacked from behind, the player could build a trip-wire that sets off a crossbow placed behind the enemy, pointed at his weak spot. This is a simple example, and I’m hoping that through a bit of careful trap design and probably A LOT of trial and error, the player should be able to build more complex systems for killing goblins, beyond simply whacking at them with a sword.

As of right now the player can place traps, and a couple of simple traps are done (with no artwork). I’ll share the specifics when the artwork is and there’s something more entertaining to show.

My main concern with this system will be making it balanced, which will mean finding the over-powered dominant strategies and nerfing them. Something I’m sure will be thoroughly frustrating, later on down the line.

Thanks for reading. Until the art has been made and put in place, my devlogs might be a bit less interesting than Alex’s in terms of the visuals, but I’ll keep you updated with the various systems I’m working on.

James
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 06:43:43 am »

Hello I would like to reveal to you the “final” design for the player character.

There he is.
The pc isn’t super important as the main focus is, of course, the goblins. But we wanted him to have something about him. His bright jacket should always contrast the green of the goblins and each setting he should stand out well enough to make sense of the chaos. I wanted him to look racially kinda ambiguous.

-Alex
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 08:41:44 am »

I've been doing a lot of structural stuff this week. The progression and structure of the main campaign is done: 3 waves of goblins, then night time, then 3 more waves, then another night time, then 3 final waves, then end level. I've also finished the AI for the regular goblin enemy, which means as soon as the final artwork is there I'll be able to show them in action which I'm looking forward to. Along with this I've re-made the player attack and combo system which, again I'll show when the final artwork is there.

Soon enough I can start uploading gifs and showing of some actual gameplay, something I've wanted to do for ages. Only a tiny update this week but there's exciting stuff coming very soon. Thanks so much for reading and have a good week!

- James
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 04:15:10 am »

I can finally show off the gameplay and animations!

Alex is currently working on some more goblin variations and we'll hopefully be recording some sounds later today so they're coming together. I've spent most of the last two weeks re-making the combo system (again). It's a lot more responsive now and packs a lot more punch than before. The goblins are bouncing off walls, and everything seems to be coming together!

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more in the coming weeks!

-James

MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 01:30:44 am »

hello
yes it is i - alex. work has been slow on my end because life is hard sometimes but i have news both good and bad!
James recently discovered software Spine which I have now decided I will devote my time now to learning and perfecting to bring u new and fresh and clean and wonderful animations, characters and goblins!
The discovery was fortuitous as not much of the "final" animations have been done so far and James and i discovered there were some issues with the way we wanted to do goblin randomisation. anyway those problems are over! but it might mean having to stay tuned for any more future animtions, at least for a couple of weeks.
here were some of the goblins who already exist but say goodbye to them you will never see them again u will only see greater, better and fAR MORE RANDOMIZED goblins FROM NOW ON!!!

smell ya l8r

alex
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 04:11:38 am »

Just a quick update to let you all know that we're not dead, and that we're slowly on some new artwork, and learning some new software, and generally improving our skills before continuing. We'll be back to regular updates and regular progress soon!

-James
MantraTeam
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 04:40:05 am »

Hi all,

we're currently in the process of overhauling the artwork in the environments. We've switched to a more collaborative effort on the artwork which seems to be working really well. Below are some of the wall tiles that we have so far.

I'm really looking forward to getting some more in soon, hopefully by the end of the week there should be a good amount of new tiles to totally replace what's already there.

Thanks for checking out Goblin Pest Control,

check back soon,

-James
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic