Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:30:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAre we rockstars or what?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Are we rockstars or what?  (Read 15846 times)
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2009, 12:56:35 AM »

Do you think I detached myself from the games for this? I merely braced myself, and looked at it objectively rather than from a "this is my perfect baby" standpoint. It doesn't mean I don't care about it, in fact I care about it much more because I want to improve it. I strive to make them perfect in their next iteration (an impossible feat but a decent goal) because I care about them.

That is what detachment is. It's not completely abandoning your work; it's recognizing that it is not perfect and it can always be improved and that your audience will reveal ways in which that can be achieved. Even if they aren't the most polite about it.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2009, 01:01:02 AM »

this topic keeps jumping around...

You ain't kidding...  can I lock this thread already?

you've got my vote

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2009, 01:01:08 AM »

Do you think I detached myself from the games for this? I merely braced myself, and looked at it objectively rather than from a "this is my perfect baby" standpoint. It doesn't mean I don't care about it, in fact I care about it much more because I want to improve it. I strive to make them perfect in their next iteration (an impossible feat but a decent goal) because I care about them.

That is what detachment is. It's not completely abandoning your work; it's recognizing that it is not perfect and it can always be improved and that your audience will reveal ways in which that can be achieved. Even if they aren't the most polite about it.

The quote in reference to was as follows:

"You emotionally throw it away when it's time for release."

Which implies more along the lines of "stop caring" than "detachment", just detachment is easier to write
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2009, 01:02:20 AM »

It's still one of the more interesting threads on here though
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »

Very well then. I disagree with moi on that point. I took it to mean that one shouldn't take comments made about their work as comments made about themselves, which is where I think the hurt comes in. You should be invested in your work, but not so much that you and it become one and the same and anything said against it becomes an insult against you.

Rereading it again does imply otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:16:54 AM by DjangoDurango » Logged
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2009, 01:09:56 AM »

Developers make games because they love to. At least most of them. So do writers write novels because they love to... at least most of them.

People who just make games or write books out of necessity aren't really spirited and their work turns out ... soulless. I would know, I am a writer myself; once I forced myself to write something, the end product turned out to be a disgusting abomination that I had to shoot to death. Multiple times. With flamethrower.

And it still haunts me to this day. Concerned
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2009, 01:21:01 AM »

please
Gnarf
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2009, 01:24:15 AM »

Oh come on.

But who are you making your games for?

myself

Quote from: Edmund
Im making games for you guys… im an entertainer im giving you free entertainment, no ones paying to play this game. Eli and i spent 3 months of our lives working on this game as a gift to people who appreciate innovative and indie video games asking for nothing in return, in what way have we upset you to the point of wanting to bash the game?

It'd be easier to agree or disagree with what people were arguing if you got an impression of just what that was from reading their posts. Most everything in this thread just comes off as if people are making up arguments to support their points as fast as possible, because that's how you win internet debates or whatever.

Like,
but there no way in hell id go up to someone who does music for a living and give them my opinions about how to make their music better... because im not a fool, i realize that no matter how much i think i know about something i dont know shit till ive actually done it.

Which is cool and everything. But like, at least be aware of that it contradicts the whole "well if they had offered some advice on how to make the game better/constructive criticism it would have been dandy" thing that some people are going on about here...
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2009, 01:29:57 AM »

Perhaps he is like me, in that I write stuff so that I can put it out and see if people enjoy it. On the one hand, I write for free and I do it to entertain people. On the other, I do it because it benefits me, in that people will respond to my work and I find that rewarding.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2009, 01:33:14 AM »

Oh come on.

But who are you making your games for?

myself

Quote from: Edmund
Im making games for you guys… im an entertainer im giving you free entertainment, no ones paying to play this game. Eli and i spent 3 months of our lives working on this game as a gift to people who appreciate innovative and indie video games asking for nothing in return, in what way have we upset you to the point of wanting to bash the game?

These 2 statements are not mutually exclusive yet you act as though there's a contradiction.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2009, 01:47:27 AM »

Okay, I locked this one.  It went off topic, then off that topic, then off topic again.

Also I get uncomfortable when people start talking about feelings and junk.

If anyone actually wants to continue any of these tangent discussions, feel free to make a new thread.  But seriously, please don't. :D

FAVOURITE MOMENTS:  That clown who juggled bowling balls.

I'm so glad that in the end everyone agreed that yes, we're all rockstars.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:52:01 AM by BMcC » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic