Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:32:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralUsing Similar Tilesets [not ripped] - LEGAL ???
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Using Similar Tilesets [not ripped] - LEGAL ???  (Read 704 times)
kuroro
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »

I found this deviantart tileset, and I'm thinking about using it http://minorthreat0987.deviantart.com/art/Calis-Projects-Tile-Set-192710625 . It has a pokemon feel to it, and as the author mentioned, it's created from scratch and not ripped from any of the original game assets. I was wondering if I should worry about getting sued by nintendo if I use such a tileset?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »

I was wondering if I should worry about getting sued by nintendo if I use such a tileset?

No. Absolutely worst case you'll get a c&d

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »

As an aside: worrying about dumb laws or legal practices lends them legitimacy so don't

eliasfrost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 03:23:15 AM »

My general instinct when it comes to things like this is if you feel like you're in legal trouble then you probably are or you're treading the waters (like Schoq said, the worst that can happen is a c&d order but that's not really optimal either). I would try and make something else myself (or hire an artist) rather than settling on something so derivative.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 04:40:53 AM »

Replacing a tileset is also relatively trivial if you for some weird reason can't publish with it so just do what you want.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 05:09:12 AM »

While the colors are a 1:1 to the DS Pokemon games, the actual "outlining" is not. If you really want to steer away from a C&D just tweak the colors a bit and you should be okay.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 06:30:37 AM »

I did an internal version of one of my games with a ripped tileset from a nintendo game, it was super easy to get an artist to make something similar later once I knew the game was good.

kuroro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 08:21:07 AM »

Hey guys. Thanks for the reply. I think i'll just get an artist to do custom ones later on, if the game I'm making actually gets enough users. Good to hear it's just C&D at worse. I'm not sure if I'll use the deviant art one yet as it's lacking (i.e. buildings), I might have to look for other ones.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic