Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:29:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSummoners Fate - Turn-based strategy rpg+ccg adventure
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: Summoners Fate - Turn-based strategy rpg+ccg adventure  (Read 97106 times)
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2018, 10:15:04 AM »

They bring destruction to the Summoners Fate battlefield, whether in the form of wintry pain or liquid hot death...

Meet the Ice and Magma Giants, and check out their sweet axes.

What do you think? We'll have a whole band of giants for Summoners Fate, including a Giant Skeleton, Trolls, and more, for those players who enjoy the larger creatures.

Developing Summoners Fate, a top down turn based strategy adventure.
TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: March 01, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »

Rainy day where you are today? It is cloudy and just started raining here in Utah - perfect weather for battling on the Summoners Fate grasslands...

Characters pictured starting top left: Ironclad Soldier, Rugged Mage, Thief, Withered Villager, Withered Dog, and Liche King.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: March 02, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »

Today's Gamedev: creating some new spells along with card mechanics. Also finishing up new characters including our much anticipated Emperor & Empress.

For a Forum-only peak at the sketch of Emperor Cosme, click here.

Have a great Friday!
  Beer!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: March 03, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »

Meet our newest defender of the plants tomorrow, Sunday!

Summoners in Summoners Fate will be very important as they will be the only ones that can use your cards. Some you've met already - Arch Mage, the Fighter Mage, the Orc Shaman - and many you have not - yet.

Characters pictured, top left to right: Vampiress, Ancient Vampire, Vampire, Bramble Elemental, Treant, and Carniflower

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: March 04, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »

Defender of the plants, protector of flora, enchantress of nature...

Meet Botanical Sage, our newest Summoner! We are still working out her exact powers, but she will definitely have exciting greenery abilities such as summoning brambles. She will join our roster of available Summoners, characters who can use your cards.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: March 05, 2018, 09:32:33 AM »

Need some Monday Motivation? We've got a card for that.

This card is Vigilant, and we love how it turned out. The "model" for it is our Barbarian. A little about this card:

VIGILANT
> Celestial Spell
> Target unit gains unlimited counter attacks.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: March 06, 2018, 08:13:38 AM »

Our monthly newsletter is going out tomorrow, Wednesday.

Sign up at SummonersFate.com or click here directly to make sure you get our Exclusive Content (this month's is a creature of the air   Wink)!

Botanical Sage & Her Friends
On our Facebook page, one of our players, Lee Clarke commented:  "*Summon Carniflower Army*" in response to the Botanical Sage image. For fun, we created what that might look like (below). What do you think?

Nature. Fights. Back!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: March 07, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »

This video shows some animations for the completed Marauder Metalist a character designed by one of our Kickstarter supporters, Chris Sides. This character will be able to provide support buffs to allies. Plus, the guitar riff is so potent that smaller creatures are outright destroyed upon hearing it.  Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right
(See the development of this character here and here.)

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: March 08, 2018, 09:11:26 AM »

Snapshot of some of our playable characters in Summoners Fate. Can you spot a few new ones?

Which would you like to play as?

We will have 200+ characters available to play as in Summoners Fate. These are divided between humans, humanoids, animals, creatures, summons, and undead. We've made a special effort to strive for diversity and equality so all gamers can feel included and find the band of heroes that best reflects the gamer's goals!  Grin

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: March 09, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »

Dev Log 4: Surprise and Trap Mechanics

Still recovering from surgery, I decided to use my first week back at programming to work on something light before diving into multiplayer code. Well, as the rule of software engineering goes, when a programmer believes a task will be easy, they are more often than not "surprised" to find the task is much more involved than expected. How appropriate that I should be so surprised working on the "Surprise and Trap" game mechanics.  Grin

What is a Surprise Mechanic?

In Summoners Fate, a Surprise is a card played with its target and effects hidden from the opponent until they are triggered by a game condition. This mechanic opens up a whole new catalogue of strategies for the more sneaky inclined players, such as placing hidden traps on the board that spring when the player's character walks over them. Traps were one of the most requested "abilities" from my players in Hero Mages, Summoners Fate's predecessor, so of course this time around, I aimed to deliver the feature.

Here is a video from the article where the AI-controlled Summoner casts a surprise Ice Trap, then they use their knockback ability to push my gladiator into it, taking advantage of the trap's effect during their turn. Note: the "surprise" card art icon is placeholder.

More than traps, Surprises are also a way to incorporate a common CCG mechanic known as an "interrupt" into an asynchronous turn-based game. Generally, interrupts are played by during an opponent's turn when they are attempting to do something (for example cast a spell) and you want to interrupt the action, say with a counterspell to stop that spell from happening. Since live interruption is impossible when you are playing a game asynchronously, one way to solve this is to premeditate the interrupt with a conditional effect. In Summoners Fate, counterspell is achieved by placing a hidden status effect on your caster. It has a condition "When enemy casts a spell, counter it". In this way, the game automatically interrupts your opponent on their turn, whether you are actively connected to their game or not.

Programming Surprises

The architecture of Summoners Fate supports surprise mechanics with the following structure:

1.  Cards contain an action that performs any number of action effects. One type of action effect can affix a status effect to an object (unit or space on board)
2.  Status effects can contain 1 or more attributes (modifiers to basic stats such as attack power or life) as well as any number of triggered abilities
3.  Triggered abilities are actions that can respond to events and can have any number of conditions that must be true before executing the action's effect
4.  Events are messages fired by the game when something happens, such as a unit entering a position or a spell being cast.

To program a surprise card, I write an action that affixed a status effect containing a trigger for a desired condition (such as when enemy casts spell) and executes desired effect. I do this using the definitions editor I wrote for the game. Pretty straight forward, right?

To make development easier, I created a tool for programming triggered abilities. It includes a "cheat sheet" that identifies what each event property maps to so I don't have to memorize all the permutations.

Well, that's what I thought until I started to unfold all the possible user-facing considerations about what a Surprise flow actually entailed.

Design Considerations

The first major design question I had was: When a surprise is played, what exactly happens? Is the opponent informed that a surprise has been played or do they not see anything until it the surprise triggers? How this question is answered has major implications on the player experience, including the perceived fun and fairness of the mechanic.

I spent a lot of time discussing this with players. Not showing the player anything at the time a surprise is played has the perception of a more "hardcore" experience, where players must rely on very subtle clues in the player's behavior (ex: not appearing to cast any spells on their turn, moving their units in odd patterns, etc.) to suspect there may be a surprise. On the other hand, showing a warning "Surprise has been cast!" creates immediate excitement and tension at the cost of losing a small element of the surprise. All agreed that only in practice can we really uncover what the experience will feel like, so it made sense to proceed programming the early warning system, with an option to turn this off during playtesting to try both options.

The next question, how are surprises tracked/stored? Well, it makes sense that traps placed on the board would naturally have markers indicating them. But, only the player who created the trap should see it, while the other player shouldn't see anything until revealed. For surprises attached to units, such as when a unit is attacked, do X, it made sense to store as effects on the unit's card, viewable when examining that card (but only visible to the creator of the surprise).

The complexity of how these items can be stored and tracked by the player suggested to me that there should be only 1 surprise allowed per target. It doesn't make sense to place multiple traps on the same tile if I can only effectively show 1 marker per tile. Interestingly, this also creates side mechanic for revealing/disarming traps where a player might try and place a trap on a tile already trapped by the opponent. Doing so would replace the existing surprise with a new one, ensuring to the placer of the new surprise that there isn't an additional surprise waiting on that tile and indicating to the placer of the old surprise that their opponent has played something on that spot.

Surprise User Flow

To help determine the list of tasks necessary to program the feature, I started by writing what the user flow looks like when a surprise is played:

To read more, click here.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: March 10, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »

Happy Saturday!  Coffee

We wanted to introduce even more playable characters for Summoners Fate. Can you spot some NEW characters? Smiley

Which would you fill your army with?

We will have 200+ characters available to play as in Summoners Fate. These are divided between humans, humanoids, animals, creatures, summons, and undead. We've made a special effort to strive for diversity and equality so all gamers can feel included and find the band of heroes that best reflects the gamer's goals!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:02:16 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
flatingo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: March 10, 2018, 10:59:32 AM »

Why do some characters look up and some do not? They are shy?  Smiley

RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: March 10, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »

Why do some characters look up and some do not? They are shy?  Smiley

Ha ha, some probably are shy, but they all look up Wink It's a top-down game, so it's a mechanic I created so they can let you, the player, know there are still actions left and also so you aren't always staring at tops of heads (which can get boring!). I joke that in their universe they have an extra bone in their neck that enables them to look up often without discomfort.

I utilized this same mechanic in my first game, Hero Mages.

Cheers!  Coffee

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: March 11, 2018, 09:47:21 AM »

Sunday Sketch
Sunday's Sketch is our Steamclock Sentinel!

A little about this new playable character in development:
When summoned, the Sentinel travels to the past. In game, this will work by rewinding to the start of your opponent's turn, giving them the opportunity to replay it, except now there's a giant robot in their way.

A fun, powerful character, and a blast for those of you who enjoy time spells. What do you think?

To check out our other Steampunk characters, click here.  Gentleman

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: March 12, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »

Today's GameDev
Today I'm beginning the exciting task of building multiplayer!

I am using PlayerIO for this, and learning how to use their services. I built multiplayer for my last turn-based strategy game Hero Mages, and am confident to get this done smoothly. (Note: famous last words  Tears of Joy)

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: March 13, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »

New Horror Character
Do you know that feeling when you're home alone, but swear someone is there? Or that dark figure you sense is in the room just as you are trying to fall asleep? Do you know why the hairs stand up on the back of your neck?!

It's because of the Shadow, our newest addition to our Horror race. This character will be fun to control on the battlefield to horrify your opponent; however, make sure to leave the Shadow in your game and don't let it get in your head...it specializes in sleep paralysis and night terrors!

This character was the Summoners Fate Newsletter exclusive first look from February. To make sure you don't miss the next first look, sign up for the newsletter here.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: March 14, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »

Here's a first look at the multiplayer development for Summoners Fate. Yesterday, I spent the day studying the API documentation for PlayerIO. Today, I successfully connected two clients together in a match and got interactions communicating between clients. So far, just over 100 lines of client code and 100 lines of server code added to achieve this.

I took this video quickly on my phone of my computer screen, so excuse the "roughness" of it.

TIGForum DevLog
Pixelologist
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 14, 2018, 11:25:38 AM »

Do you plan to release a demo soon? How long has it been since you started?
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: March 14, 2018, 01:38:09 PM »

Do you plan to release a demo soon? How long has it been since you started?

Hi Pixelogist,

We started in May 2016 and have made several releases to small target audiences along the way so we can make effective incremental changes. Our next release milestone is aimed for late April and will focus on multiplayer game testing.

Thanks for checking us out, let me know if you have more questions.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: March 15, 2018, 07:20:03 AM »

Vote Now
Which icon sketch for "Cleansing Fire" card do you think is best - 1 or 2?

This card will deal 3 damage to an enemy or remove all negative status effects on an ally Chaos unit and restore their attributes.

The concept we told our amazing artists was our Red Imp happily bathing in fire and lava, with a little scrub brush going on.  Wink

TIGForum DevLog
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic