Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:13:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSummoners Fate - Turn-based strategy rpg+ccg adventure
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: Summoners Fate - Turn-based strategy rpg+ccg adventure  (Read 92066 times)
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: July 06, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »

It has been quite HOT here in Utah the past week, and so I thought I'd bring our our resident "dog day of summer" - our Hellhound Puppy!

Have a great Friday night, and hopefully you all have some fun gaming tonight
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:30:22 AM by RossD20Studios » Logged

Developing Summoners Fate, a top down turn based strategy adventure.
TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: July 07, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »

Shocking!
One of my favorite Elementals is our Lightning Elemental. We have some fun plans for this character.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: July 09, 2018, 12:54:31 PM »

Choose Wisely
Where should the Skeleton Warrior move? Make your choice...  Grin

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: July 10, 2018, 06:45:42 PM »

Ice Bomb/Spike Block/Crystal Golem Combo!
Fun action sequence from a recent game played. This sequence was possible because the Ice Bomb (which currently has fire placeholder art  Wink) spell cast by Zenon the Arch Mage has Knockback, causing Li the Pyromancer to go flying into the spikes:

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: July 11, 2018, 06:06:33 PM »

Rounding out the fixes in version 0.25.1, I'm responding to player feedback regarding the undead's ability to steal life from their opponent. Previously, the Liche King would steal life equal to the damage dealt (in this case three) regardless of the target's remaining life. Players felt it was hard to conceive how the Liche King could steal 3 life from a 1/1 squirrel (point taken) and that it was especially out of context for effect to steal life when damaging armor. I wanted to address these concerns without our undead fans feeling the Liche King was being nerfed. The answer: I made him more powerful (albeit in a different way) while removing the perceived exploits and keeping him within context of his abilities. First, I made it so that life steal can only drain up to the maximum power of the attack or remaining life of the victim (whichever is smaller). Then, to address the armor, I gave him the Pierce ability which has a twofold effect of depleting all armor AND disarming block. So, instead of stealing life from the armor, the Liche King now cuts through it, getting to taste the sweet sweet lifeforce within.

See both changes in action within this video. Also notice that I have added a separate smaller blue number indicator to distinguish damage to armor from damage to life.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: July 12, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »

Check out how Li the Pyromancer levels the playing field against the Skeleton horde with the Conflagration spell!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:38:23 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: July 13, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »

Prepare for Battle, Early Access iOS Players!
We are excited to announce the rollout of v0.25.1 for Summoners Fate early access players. In this second release of our Early Access Build, we've added support for iOS, addressed nearly all of the received player feedback, and fixed all known app crashes and reported bugs.

Read more about this rollout in our latest Kickstarter update.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: July 14, 2018, 06:52:55 PM »

Druid & Her Animal Army
Here's a recent screenshot during a battle with an early access gamer (name removed for privacy). As you can see, the Chat feature adds to the fun.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:18:24 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: July 16, 2018, 08:20:55 AM »

Watch as Albirich the Fighter Mage casts "Hyperspeed" on the Bard, enabling her to double her move distance and take out Zenon the Arch Mage:

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: July 17, 2018, 01:21:54 PM »

Dev Log 5: Designing the Metagame of Summoners Fate

We’ve discussed and shared a lot about the characters, cards and tactical gameplay aspects of Summoners Fate. Now, I’d like to share more about our single player and metagame experience and how our approach sets us apart from other tactics card game and RPG experiences.

The original title I’d planned to call Summoners Fate was “Prophecies”, a name that speaks to how I envisioned our single player experience unfolding. Most RPGs focus on the journey of a single character and their impact within the world. With Summoners Fate, I wanted players to explore their own creative diversity by giving them the opportunity to command and experience the stories of hundreds of unique characters. Prophecies are about the player taking on the role of “Fate”, guiding the destiny of these characters, and discovering how to reach their maximum potential by choosing the right team members, cards and paths to explore.

With the "Prophecies" mechanic, you play the single player campaign as a series of episodic meta games (similar to a longer board game like Risk or an RPG experience such as a D&D campaign) where there is progression for the initial character choice and consequences to the decisions you make as you progress. Campaigns are replayable, and each "run" introduces a combination of hand-crafted and procedural elements. You'll build your team and deck as you progress and upon completion you will unlock additional characters and cards to play through in subsequent campaigns.

An early concept for a Prophecy map

Below are a list of the top 5 goals I have for the design of our single player. I’d love to get feedback from players - how do these goals align with your expectations for our game, do these feel like unique concepts in the context of tactics card games, do they sound exciting, is there anything you’d like to seeing here that we haven’t mentioned?

Goals:
  • Create opportunities for meaningful player choices that encourage risk vs. reward thinking and have a permanent impact to the campaign run and lasting meta rewards. A meaningful reward is something that impacts the outcome of gameplay, such as unlocking a new character, while a meaningful risk permanently affects your progress (ex: permadeath, losing a character for the remainder of the run or even losing the campaign prior to its completion). Players might choose between an attempt to escape a dungeon with a rare relic or retreat with their lives. Attempting to escape with the treasure risks the player being defeated and losing all progress while potentially earning the chance to permanently unlock a new character or gain a benefit for the current run. Likewise, taking the safe route could allow the player to survive to the next stage, keeping what they have already earned. Another choice might be choosing to sacrifice a member of the team to rescue a new character, or choosing to rest and restore health or acquire a new upgrade. A tactical decision might be whether or not to play a card: Do I fireball the goblins in this room to avoid combating with my heroes and conserve health, or do I save my card for a future encounter?
  • Players need fair opportunities to assess their choices. While I want to the game to introduce a level of randomness to bring forward the excitement and the feeling of exploring/encountering the unknown, I don’t want randomness to make the gameplay unfair (ex: suddenly encountering an enemy that completely undermines the strategy you’ve been working to build without warning). I believe the best way to mitigate this is to give players some level of warning that they can use to adequately prepare for challenges. Examples: Player can choose from multiple paths in a branching saga map. Each node of the map should indicate things like the type of risk/reward the player might encounter. For example, indicating the environment as well as the potential types of monster spawns is important so the player can assess their deck strategy against the opponents. A player without a Cleric may not wish to risk encountering poisonous snakes and scorpions in the desert, while a Botanical Sage may prefer to travel through forests and other vegetated areas that she can exploit with her abilities.
  • The experience should seamlessly integrate and onboard users to deck building. Traditional CCG games throw deck building at the player after a handful of combat tutorials without allowing them to understand what/why they might choose certain cards to compliment their arsenal. I want our campaign to introduce the process of deck building and allow the player to experiment with the impact of their choices in small chunks at a time as they progress. This is accomplished by giving them limited choices in the beginning (ex: pick starting character) and then allow them to customize their deck (ex: pick 1 of 3 cards or pick 1 of 3 heroes) as they progress, slowly building their deck and strategy as they complete levels. As the player learns what works/doesn’t work about their choices, the game shall offer opportunities to hone and refine strategies (ex: replace a spell card for another or recruit a new hero to replace one that isn’t performing well in the team the player has designed).
  • The total completion time of a Prophecy campaign should be approximately 3-4 hours. Summoners Fate is a game about endlessly experimenting with creative diversity rather than perpetual grind to a final end state (ex: maximum level or completion of a narrative). We want every encounter, every choice, to have an immediate and obvious fun impact to the gameplay so that players can fully realize the potential of their strategic choices as quickly as possible. A 3-4 hour duration feels right to grant this potential with plenty of time and energy for players to explore new creative solutions in future playthroughs. A possible division of this would be 3 continuous maps, each containing an hour of content. That means each map might have 6 playable nodes, with each node taking approximately 10 minutes. Individual battles would last between 2-5 minutes so that they can be completed within a single session while playing on mobile. Combat/exploration nodes would be multi-staged (having a series of battles) while other nodes (rest/upgrade/merchant/special encounter) would be single staged.
  • Deliver episodic content with high-replayability. I want Summoners Fate to offer limitless adventures and keep our players engaged for years. With an episodic content structure, we can regularly release a variety of prophecy types, ranging from scripted narrative episodes to entirely procedurally generated challenges, and ensure gameplay is constantly evolving, new and exciting. I imagine campaigns and story elements tied together with new cards and characters, allowing us to expand upon our single player and multiplayer experiences together. I want our content to have a lot of value to our players. Being able to replay these campaigns with different characters and diverse chance encounters is important so players can experience how their outcome changes while experimenting with new strategies and playstyles.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: July 19, 2018, 02:38:10 PM »

Today's SINGLE PLAYER development update: I got the game to dynamically configure and store procedurally generated levels as data that can be loaded/restored in future session.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: July 20, 2018, 04:10:36 PM »

Today I did some more work on the single player campaign procedural level generation system. First, I created a encounters table that, so far, allows me to create monster groups that players will appear in procedurally generated levels. I've also created a procedural dungeon system that will create a multi-stage dungeon by combining rooms from a randomly selected set of levels.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: July 21, 2018, 07:08:18 PM »

Screenshot Saturday
Husband vs. wife. Skeletons vs. Skeletons. Let's do this.   Hand Metal Left

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: July 22, 2018, 02:14:04 PM »

Angry Amphibians
Green. Tribal. Savagely wicked. Meet our Frog Demon! This creature is giant in stature, brandishes a two-handed axe, and will not calmly hop away onto a lily pad! What do you think?

We will have a whole host of various demons to join Summoners Fate; we can't wait to introduce them all

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: July 24, 2018, 06:19:22 PM »

So rough being defeated by beefed-up squirrels....

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:44:26 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: July 26, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »

More work done on my procedurally-generated map for our single-player campaign. Here's a visual representation (WIP):

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: July 27, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »

Earlier this month, we received great feedback from our Abysmal End card first look. Now, take a look at Necrotic Blast. This card features our Black Dragon character in the card art.

About this card:

> Void spell
> Units in target cone receive -1/-1

What do you think?

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: July 28, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »

Future Summoners Fate Character?
We took a small break from technology to visit some ancient friends outdoors...

Got us thinking...addition to our Reptis race - dinosaurs?   Wink

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: July 29, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »

Sometimes, the AI I wrote for Summoners Fate delightfully impresses me. In this video, watch as the Fighter Mage powers up for a massive attack against my Summoner and makes a clever move of using the Gladiator to pull the Fire Elemental out of the way, and using the bard to inspire before chopping out half of my remaining health.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:38:49 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: July 31, 2018, 03:29:23 PM »

Today's progress report: I've implemented Progression Tracking for singe player campaigns. The prophecy map will now save your progress in the map as well as control access to levels based on the path player chooses. Additionally, your hero stats and spells will carry over from level to level.

TIGForum DevLog
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic