Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 04:54:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSummoners Fate - Turn-based strategy rpg+ccg adventure
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: Summoners Fate - Turn-based strategy rpg+ccg adventure  (Read 95448 times)
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: August 01, 2018, 02:11:36 PM »

Battle for the Beach
Who will emerge victorious? The battle of the beach begins!

Characters pictured left to right: Bramble Elemental, Carniflower, Botanical Sage, Frog Demon, Water Dragon, Albirich the Fighter Mage, Bard (upper), and Ninja (lower)

Developing Summoners Fate, a top down turn based strategy adventure.
TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: August 02, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »

TBT
I saw that GenCon started today, and it reminded me of 9 years ago when we presented our first CCG game, Hero Mages, there all weekend. We met so many fantastic people, played a lot of games, learned about the awesome cosplay culture, and unveiled my first indie game to all the GenCon attendants. It was an awesome weekend, and we look forward to future Cons with Summoners Fate.  Beer!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: August 03, 2018, 04:22:36 PM »

Today I worked on the deck builder flow layout. This involves designing a clean and modern UI that helps you to select your characters and build your deck. The tricky part is not only providing space because there are so many character and card choices, but also - for our mobile version - making this UI readable and easy to use in both landscape and portrait. We definitely loaded the work on by making sure our game is available for PC and mobile, portrait and landscape - but we know and believe it will be worth it when you, the player, have diverse options.

Landscape version

Portrait version

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: August 04, 2018, 05:37:26 PM »

NECROMANCER  Hand Metal Left View card & stats within #SummonersFate. A wonderful addition to any Skeleton deck, indeed.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: August 06, 2018, 05:44:19 PM »

Oh, Were You Working?
Cats like to let you know when it's time for a break  Grin

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: August 07, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »

Combo!
Check out this gameplay video with an awesome combo ending. Lining up those combos and utilizing your characters' auto counter attacks makes for some great strategic victories! Watch:

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: August 08, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »

Campfire Submenus

Today, I was continuing work on the deck builder UI and realized I needed a better starting point to access the actual deck builder interface and a way to separate other card related functions. Keeping with the theme of immersing the game menu within the game engine itself, I thought it would be interesting to try a sub-menu where the map zooms in to the respective component (in this case the card tortoise) and create simple contextual buttons  to access specific items. Here's how it might look. Keep in mind that the last image is just a quick placeholder mockup I spliced in, and we'll have an appropriate art driven UI for the final as well as the tortoise continuing to animate. Let me know what you think!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: August 09, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »

Hey guys - Today I got the deck editor interface hooked up in the game and had some fun making some rather interesting custom decks. New functionality includes the ability to create new custom decks, delete custom decks, and select custom deck as your playable team.

Here's a screenshot of the WIP:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:52:31 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: August 10, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »

Summoners Fate has been selected to showcase at Pax West 2018 in Seattle with IndieMEGABOOTH! Another exciting chapter begins in our indie development journey!

Check out our IndieMEGABOOTH page here: https://indiemegabooth.com/project/summoners-fate/

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: August 11, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »

Thank You!
Thank you for the outpouring of support and thumbs up from our gamers about our announcement yesterday. We are getting things prepared to unveil Summoners Fate at PAX West, and hope to meet some of you in person. More details to come!  :D

GameDev
Today Ross worked on the deck builder. Check out some progress posts here, here and here.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: August 13, 2018, 06:07:20 PM »

Giant Stag Beetle in Action
Check out the animation feature for one of my favorite Insectoids, the Giant Stag Beetle:

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: August 14, 2018, 06:13:17 PM »

Fight!

All the remains after the bloody battle is the Orc Chief versus the Dreadnought Titan. Who shall emerge victorious?...

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: August 15, 2018, 06:37:58 PM »

Today's development update: Continued progress on the deck builder system. It never ceases to amaze me just how much work it takes to get these user interface components just right, especially when overloading the controls for multiple functions. For example: swiping right/left flips through your pages of cards, but there's also a gesture to drag the card to your deck. Fine tuning these things so they feel intuitive and flow with the user's intentions is a delicate art of micro tweaks, rebuilding, and testing constantly. Considerations for desktop must also be made: more precision sensitivity, additional next page/prev page controls. Finally, one very interesting observation I've made is the need to change the layout of the portrait controls. While it's intuitive to place navigation at the top (when you're on a desktop or playing in landscape), it's incredibly difficult to build decks with one hand with essential controls at the top of device. I aim to solve that tomorrow and show some screenshots and a possible video.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: August 16, 2018, 06:52:58 PM »

Progress on Summoners Fate deck builder continues, I should be ready to put that video demo together tomorrow.

For today, I'd like to share a fellow RPG tactics indie developer's game that just released on Steam Early Access called Fell Seal, Arbiter's Mask. Like us, 6EyesStudio is a husband and wife team, also ex-EA, and also creating a tactical RPG... crazy, right?! Their game is shaping up quite nicely and as we're all tactics fans here, you should definitely check it out!

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mask
https://store.steampowered.com/app/699170/Fell_Seal_Arbiters_Mark/

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: August 17, 2018, 06:25:45 PM »

IndieMEGABOOTH just launched the montage trailer for PAXWest18. We'll be showcasing Summoners Fate with a group of over 75 indie games and developers across 17 different countries.

We're at 15:30

We'll be showcasing on Sunday September 2nd and Monday September 3rd from 10AM-6PM in the MINIBOOTH. If you're in Seattle, stop by and meet with us!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: August 20, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »

Here's the video I promised showing the development progress on the deck builder interface:

What's unique about our Deck Builder interface is how we support multiple platforms in both landscape and portrait mode orientations. One of the more interesting discoveries I made while play testing on device was the need to reposition the navigation UI in portrait mode. Traditionally, navigation UI appears at the top of screen, but, when using your device with one hand, it's impossible to navigate effectively because the thumb cannot reach the top.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:03:35 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: August 24, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »

Dev Log 6: How I'm Preparing to Showcase at PAX West 2018 with Indie MEGABOOTH

This week, I decided to put the deck builder interface on hold and begin preparations for our upcoming trip to PAX. Having run the booth at a few conventions in the past, I know that having the right materials and setup are essential to a successful show.

The Indie MINIBOOTH Setup

We'll be showcasing Summoners Fate with the Indie MINIBOOTH. One thing I really like about this setup is that it takes a lot of pressure off the logistics and planning of a larger booth. The Indie MEGABOOTH team houses 12 teams in the MINIBOOTH on any given day (we'll be showing on Sunday and Monday) and provides everyone with the same standard setup that includes:

• A red IKEA Kallax shelve in the background with the following dimensions:
    Width: 30 3/8 ", Depth: 15 3/8 ", Height: 57 7/8 " or Width: 77 cm, Depth: 39 cm, Height: 147 cm
  • A white standing height table - the metal construction you can see in the front
  • 27" monitor 2560x1440p resolution
  • AORUS Elite Dream Machine computer with mouse, keyboard, headset, mousepad and wired Xbox gamepad
  • Monitor topper with our game's logo

To ensure each developer in the space has adequate room, additional standing accessories not attached to the kiosk (ex: standing banners) are not allowed in the MINIBOOTH. Since I'll be running the booth solo, this setup is perfect: I don't have to worry about additional costs of renting or transporting equipment which can easily add up to anywhere in the ballpark of $2K-$10K.

All that being said, one might say my job is pretty easy: just show up! Actually, there's still a lot of room to be creative with marketing and help my game stand out to the thousands of show-goers that will be passing through the convention.

Preparing the Game for Convention Showcase

Let's start with the most important part: the game itself. The biggest eye-catcher I have is the action happening on that 27" monitor. If that monitor is stuck in a static menu screen while I'm chatting with players, it's not going to be as appealing for newcomers as action like fireballs exploding and dragons flying in. To that end, I modified the game to incorporate our game trailer (which has all that good stuff) so that during any periods where the gamer seat isn't hot, it's playing our best gameplay footage on a loop to draw interest. Also, if a player decides to get up and walk away, it'll monitor user activity and flip back to the trailer automatically so I don't have to.

Keeping the Player Engaged

Players are going to experience a game differently at a convention like PAX than they will when they're playing at home. There's so much excitement that goes on at conventions that I can't expect gamers to become as fully absorbed in Summoners Fate as I might like - especially since our game (being tactical and turn based) is relatively more complex than an action plat-former. To keep players engaged, I'm aiming for a 10-15 minute target experience. My goal is to tantalize players with the unique elements our game has to offer so they walk away feeling excited and wanting more.

My top concern is that the first impression players have will likely become their lasting impression. If I reduce the gameplay to a quick PvP battle, players might disregard the game as a tactical combat engine when there are so many more unique things it offers: creative deck building, branching levels with diverse paths, progression and story telling, etc. Plus, there's a good chance the more subtle combat elements may be missed or overlooked. To mitigate this risk, I'm doing my best to design the demo so it offers a broader scope: shorter combat sequences with more exciting finales, opportunities for players to choose cards to incorporate in their deck and power up their main character, a chance to choose a path in the campaign, and a final boss combat encounter. This is harder than it sounds because I need to create the right experience that delivers on these goals without being forcible or "hand-holdy" in the outcomes. I find players derive the most meaning when their actions come from their own planned decisions, not the ones I make for them as a game designer.

Creating a Memorable Booth

Now, let's talk about the booth itself. Having looked at some of the past designs, my eye was drawn to the booths that had a professionally printed banner depicting the game's key-art and logo, like this one:

I stopped by my local FedEx Kinkos, Office Max, and a local print-shop to explore options and pricing. Ultimately, I discovered ordering online was both cheaper, easier, and had more options that better suited my needs. I settled on a 72"x24", grommeted and hemmed Vinyl banner from signs.com that I plan to wrap around the front and sides of the kiosk using non-residue adhesive wall hooks.

The other key item I wanted was a take-away card for guests that stopped by the booth: something with key art and information about our game they could place in their goodie bag to remind them of their experience with us. These are also perfect to attach promo codes to if I decide to do a game key give-away. I created this on signs.com as well as a 6"x4" glossy post card:

In total (with free shipping and a 15% discount code I found online) I paid $88 for the banner and 500 cards. For means of comparison, a single color sheet (which I could have used to make 2 cards) would have cost anywhere between $0.88 - $1.29 at local print shops. That would have been over $200 just for the cards, let alone the banner - so ordering online is DEFINITELY the way to go!

Finally, I felt it imperative that I, myself, standout from the crowd so gamers know exactly who the dev team of this game is. Behold my Summoner's Fate T-shirt sporting our game logo on front and company logo on back. ($28 from customizedgirl.com)

Just needs a little ironing Wink

Total Cost Breakdown:
  • Indie MINIBOOTH Booth Cost: $1200
  • Marketing Materials (Banner, 500 giveaway cards, T-shirt): $116
  • Airfare (SLC to Seattle): $390
  • Hotel: $0 (My awesome game designer friend is letting me stay with her!)
Grand Total: $1706

Add in costs for uber, food, etc. and I think I'll probably balance out just under $2K for two-days of showcasing plus an extra day to walk-around Saturday and take-in the experience. I'll be showing at PAX Sunday August 2nd and Monday August 3rd. I hope to see you there and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: August 26, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »

Sunday Spell
Today's featured card is Gravity Well:

With this card, you can pull all enemies towards target space anywhere on the board. As you can imagine, this can be used in combination with something like a fireball card that can do maximum damage when all the enemies are close together. It can also keep a scared opponent from running away  Wink

Learn more about other Arcane deck spells here.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 02:21:07 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: August 28, 2018, 04:33:22 PM »

These arrived today:

My beautiful wife and D20Studios' Marketing Manager

These will be our giveaway cards for this weekend's PAXWest. What do you think?

Read more about our setup and showcase preparations in Ross's latest DevLog here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:42:59 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: August 29, 2018, 05:36:03 PM »

Now THAT'S how you take down a troll, combo-style  Hand Metal Right

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:30:29 AM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic