Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:07:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSummoners Fate - Turn-based strategy rpg+ccg adventure
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: Summoners Fate - Turn-based strategy rpg+ccg adventure  (Read 97100 times)
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: September 02, 2018, 04:41:49 AM »

@ PAXWest 2018!
We made it!

We are all set up in our booth at PAXWest. If you are attending Sunday or Monday, come check us out in the Indie Minibooth.

Developing Summoners Fate, a top down turn based strategy adventure.
TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: September 03, 2018, 06:28:31 AM »

Day 1 went AWESOME at PAXWest 2018!  Hand Metal Left

I'll write up a longer post-mortem when I get back, but it was absolutely thrilling to be able to demo Summoners Fate to so many people. On to Day 2!

TIGForum DevLog
PartTimeIndie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 03, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »

Hei I love the game concept and I am looking forward to trying the game, but I have to say I kind of dislike the way the units look up. I know it is probably to late and maybe just my personal taste, but it feels weird and I am usualy someone who is not sensible to these things. Am I the first telling you this, is the reaction love or hate on this? Sry if you already answered that but I was to lazy to read through the posts.

Regards Niki
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: September 03, 2018, 03:56:58 PM »

Hei I love the game concept and I am looking forward to trying the game, but I have to say I kind of dislike the way the units look up. I know it is probably to late and maybe just my personal taste, but it feels weird and I am usualy someone who is not sensible to these things. Am I the first telling you this, is the reaction love or hate on this? Sry if you already answered that but I was to lazy to read through the posts.

Regards Niki

Thanks for checking us out, Niki!  Ha ha, the "looking up" definitely gets us lots of opinions Wink We modeled this after our first indie game, Hero Mages, and while it's different, our fans do come to really like it. The idea is that the characters look up at you, the 'deity' controlling them, when there is an action to be done, and when there are no more actions, the keep looking forward. It also is a way for you, the player, to 'connect' to the character vs. only seeing tops of heads, which can get dull after a while.

Don't worry too much about the characters; we always joke that they have some extra bones in their necks that allow them to do this with ease.

Cheers!  Coffee
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:03:09 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: September 05, 2018, 12:59:57 PM »

Dev Log 7: My experience at PAX West with Indie MEGABOOTH and why it was totally worth it.

The Journey Begins
On my flight home from Seattle, I pondered over my time at PAX West where I had just finished showcasing my game, Summoners Fate, with Indie MEGABOOTH. The experience was so surreal it felt like a dream: chance encounters and passionate discussions that seemed to flow naturally together in a series of meaningful, interconnected events.

I was tired and uneasy the morning I left because I had been up late the night before fixing bugs I discovered in the demo. I was frantic on the plane as I worked against the clock of arrival and the battery life of my laptop. Then I arrived in Seattle and there was a driver waiting with my name on a sign. I didn’t have to worrying about where I was going, I flowed as if on a gentle current. Stress began to melt away.

This was thanks to my friend, Laura, who’d I met met several years back when we worked together at EA. She’d already anticipated the state I’d be in and had put an entire plan in motion to provide the support I would need to succeed at the show: a place to stay, time to polish the demo, introductions to her friends and rides throughout the area - including a stop for a signature Seattle hotdog. This is the delightful and heart-warming surprise of people I’ve met in the game industry: the lengths they go through to show their kindness and support. And this was just the first of many I would experience at PAX.

Making it to the MINIBOOTH
After spending the morning and early afternoon exploring the various PAX exhibits, I made my way to the Indie MEGABOOTH. Once there, I started talking with some of the other devs who were showing their games in the MINIBOOTH. I reached my hand out with excitement to Nicolás, another dev creating a game with CCG mechanics called Causa. “I’m so excited to meet another dev also working on a CCG!” I said. “I can’t wait to hear about your stories and how you’ve solved problems in your game design.” His face lit up with joy. It’s a wonderful feeling to meet someone like this. They’ve experienced and dealt with the same challenges so you can connect and understand each other in a way other people can’t.

Our kiosk in the MINIBOOTH, ready to go!

Up and early the next morning, I was anxious to meet folks exploring the expo and have them play my game. I had quite a scare when my demo wouldn’t install, but the volunteers were quick to respond. The MEGABOOTH team and Pax enforcers are among the most amazing and courteous folks I’ve ever encountered. What could have been a very uncertain and trying experience was made easy with their constant support and reassurance. “Are you doing ok? Can I get you anything? Here's some cough drops, let me refill your water…” This is a level of service and care all organizations should aspire to.

Mastering the Pitch
The showfloor was a great place to discover what gravitates people toward games. I found out it was a combination of familiarity and weirdness. “Summoners Fate is a top down fantasy adventure meets deck builder.” “Ohhh, ok” (nodding inquisitively). “And you get to hurl squirrels at your enemies and then transform them into super squirrel mutants.” Laughing. “Ok now I gotta try this…”. Being with the Indie MEGABOOTH helped: people knew going in that everyone manning the booths were the actual game developers - and that’s what makes the experience so special. It wasn’t just a chance to show the game, but also my personality: that I’m sincere about my enthusiasm with the game and my commitment to players.

The Power of Connecting
Hanging out with fellow indies was good medicine. It was reassuring to hear similar stories about the sacrifices we're making. One of the dev teams, working on a game that rivals the art of Skyrim called Eastshade told me how they were living together with their mom and grandma. Others were taking breaks while dealing with family emergencies or trying to juggle a full-time job or contract work on the side to keep things up. I could relate: My wife had to return to working full time to give us extra runway on our project. I had to take on more responsibility taking care of our two children. We had to pay for an expensive surgery out of pocket because we didn’t have corporate insurance. We’ve missed out on vacations, we never travel to see family, and we’re constantly dealing with disasters that come up. Uncertainty creates enormous pressure and there are many times it feels all-consuming and soul crushing.

Despite our common challenges, none of us deterred away from the hopeful sentiment we all believed in: You can always make more money, you can't get back the time in your life. Your moment must be seized while it can.

Meeting new people was the best!

I met so many amazing people, including some of our longtime fans and followers who made a special trip just to see me. Shout outs to Tom, Patrick, Kyle and Jeremy! I got to tell John Baez, founder of The Behemoth how Battle Block Theater’s level editor inspired my son to become a game developer. Chainsaw Games Studio, creators of my favorite Xbox party game, Knight Squad, were just across from the MINIBOOTH showing their new game, Aftercharge. An analyst from Magic the Gathering team told me he really enjoyed the onboarding in our demo. Wanderbot, a YouTuber I admire and really wanted to share my game made a surprise visit. My new friend from Tencent, YiCong, also stopped by and I got a chance to show the development tools I wrote to make the game. As the sole engineer on my team, I don’t get many opportunities to speak about the behind-the-scenes challenges of production and supporting a live service. It felt so incredibly validating to have a fellow developer take delight in the feats I’d accomplished.

YiCong plays Summoners Fate

Networking, Indie Style
On Sunday evening, Indie MEGABOOTH hosted a mixer event for the devs and their sponsors that included several publishers. The party itself was incredible: free food and drinks, arcade and pinball machines with bowls filled with complimentary quarters. There was no pressure of having to make a sales pitch, just casual conversation and engaging stories of our experience and getting to know each other. This was an opportunity to show your true self and realize how small and intimate the game industry is: Nearly everyone knows, has worked for, or has a friend who worked with someone and we're all just regular people with a desire to fulfill our potential doing creative work.

The Moment that Made the Show
The most intense moment of the show happened when I least suspected it. I had just sat down behind the booth for lunch, legs tired and back sore from three days of nonstop standing, when I overheard a group of people playing my game. It was their playful banter and obvious enjoyment of what they were experiencing that got to me. I only heard fragments, but I remember a woman saying "What are you doing to these poor animals?!" and a guy responding "You don't understand, this is WAR!". “Now watch this watch this... Mutant squirrel!! Squirrel army!!” And then just lots of laughter. I knew at that moment this was the highlight of the show. Something about just hearing their joyful commentary, not knowing I was there, made it all the more sincere and meaningful. I had made something that gave them a moment of happiness, and I was fighting hard not to cry and not to laugh at the same time.

Final Thoughts
The MEGABOOTH concluded with a group photo and hugs goodbye, then I headed for the airport. It was a successful show. I certainly had a lot of luck, and yet there was one specific choice I made that helped achieve this outcome: having a positive attitude. If I could offer one piece of advice I've validated time and time again from my experiences: When you engage with others in the community, give them your true, honest and open self. Pause and listen attentively, open yourself to feedback and the wisdom others have to share in their stories. Recognize and admire the work and talent of others.

Attitude and perception works like a mirror: when you seek out the best intent in others, it reflects back the best intent in yourself. From this, positive things unfold, like a gentle current that carries you along in a series of exciting adventures.

TIGForum DevLog
Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: September 05, 2018, 07:27:28 PM »

Very nice read. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I'm into CCG, I guess that's why my game has cards also but used very differently. Keep it up Ross!
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: September 08, 2018, 09:46:56 AM »

Very nice read. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I'm into CCG, I guess that's why my game has cards also but used very differently. Keep it up Ross!

Thanks, janthony! I checked out your dev log as well. Always interesting to see the unique ideas designers discover for cards. I like your aesthetic and the 3d platformer + cards hybrid looks interesting. Keep in touch if you ever want to bounce ideas or share feedback. We're on Discord as well: https://discord.gg/6rZkzAx and I've got few different dev teams in our general chat working on similar-yet-different approaches to these genre hybrids.

Cheers  Beer!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: September 11, 2018, 05:54:19 PM »

Indie MEGABOOTH posted their recap of the PAX West event today and it's our pleasure to share this with you: http://indiemegabooth.com/pax-west-2018-recap/

Special thanks to all the volunteers and sponsors that made this event possible. Welcome to all the new and existing D20Studios fans that I got to meet in person. We are so honored to be a part of this!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: September 13, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »

Behold the new and improved Sperl Squirrel!

Last night, I had the pleasure of attending our local Utah Indie Game Developer night meet-up and get some great feedback from fellow developers on the latest Summoners Fate build. The top fix that came out of this was a major improvement to the drag controls - players had discovered a bug that would prevent a seamless drag when selecting a character at the edge of its standing space with the mouse. As a result of the feedback, our controls are now a whole notch better!

I'm also pleased to share a major upgrade to our visual effects thanks to our friend Daniel Sperl, creator of the Starling framework, who just released an update to his particle extension. In situations where CPU bottlenecked and created low-frame rate, VFX would appear "staggered" instead of seamless. Several players recognized this effect in our early access (particularly with the conflagration spell). I'm happy to say, the new and improved "Sperl Squirrel" is ready to go!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: September 19, 2018, 07:48:17 PM »

Father vs. Son - a Tale of Two Dragons! (Skeleton dragons, that is!)

Greetings community!

I'm pleased to announce our latest pre-release build shall be launching soon. We're in the queue waiting for Apple review as I post. In celebration I'd like to take a moment to spotlight my son, Wesley, who helped out in testing and fixing bugs in preparation for the release.

Here's a replay of one of our father/son battles where Wesley managed to unleash his "master plan" of capturing my Skeleton dragon while controlling one of his own (Two dragons?!). It was a good fight, but dad didn't go easy on him and was able to use some clever maneuvering to take down the monstrous duo. It's a great example of the kind of exiting things that can happen during gameplay: the bonding between players, the outrageous and seemingly overpowered plays, and the depth of tactics that can be leveraged to overcome even the most dire situations.

TIGForum DevLog
Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 20, 2018, 07:48:55 AM »

I love this type of card game <3
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: September 21, 2018, 08:05:04 AM »

I love this type of card game <3

Thanks, Devilkay!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #592 on: September 21, 2018, 01:55:37 PM »

Liche King vs. plethora of squirrels screenshot.
You know, that old, classic battle  My Word!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:53:39 AM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: September 23, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »

Happy 1st Day of Fall from your friends at D20Studios!

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: September 29, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »

Maximize your Fireball damage by strategic placement.  Wink

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: October 02, 2018, 11:11:36 AM »

Our Summoners Fate monthly newsletter hits inboxes on Wednesday, October 3rd.

Make sure you don't miss any Summoners Fate content - including our Newsletter 1st Look Exclusive! - by subscribing to our monthly newsletter.

It's free and easy; visit SummonersFate.com

Characters pictured: Ironclad Soldiers

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: October 04, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »

With Halloween coming at the end of this month, we are featuring just some of our factions within our Horror race. Here you will meet our bloodied husks of humans, the Withereds. We also have our undead Mummies seeking vengeance. Finally, the stuff of night terrors and the reason you fear closing your eyes - some Nightmare creatures. Learn more about these and more here.

>> Keep your eyes out for a Halloween costume vote coming up mid-October for some of your favorite characters! You don't want to miss it.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: October 06, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »

Screenshot Saturday

When battling Skeletons in the rain, don't be afraid to send your squirrel missile to smite your enemy.

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: October 08, 2018, 12:23:32 PM »

I'm back to developing the deck builder today. Currently working on designing the sort options/filter modal. This is with all of the options toggled on. Here's a quick WIP snapshot:

TIGForum DevLog
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: October 09, 2018, 02:15:40 PM »

Yesterday I finished the modal design for card sorting, and today I implemented all the functionality in the game. Check out how card sorting works in our deckbuilder for Summoners Fate in this video:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:51:21 PM by RossD20Studios » Logged

TIGForum DevLog
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic