Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:35:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Unity's AI Navmesh New Features
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unity's AI Navmesh New Features  (Read 720 times)
Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2017, 01:30:00 AM »

AI Navigation & new realtime Unity's navigation system

I struggled lots of time to implement a satisfying navigation system for my NPCs. As the game deals with completely random architecture, it was impossible for me to bake a Navmesh before I build the game.
I needed a realtime system.

I started with messy wall collisions and turning decision coroutine, but the behavior when chasing the player in random-generated towns was still not really satisfying :

I was about starting to create a node system from scratch when I read about the brand new Unity's realtime Navmesh : I immediately tried to implement it. After painful hours ( I had to rethink NPC's AI coroutines structures a lot ) this finally was really worth it. The navigation system works very well, is intuitive and fast, and allow the player to build walls, buildings, which will impact in realtime on the NPC's path decision :

So, I wanted to thank eveyone @ Unity, for bringing us free and so much powerful software development, with so much new updates and functions every month. Ninja

You can read more about this Unity's new functionalities here :New Unity NavMesh Features

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic