Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:03:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Need some help on logic behind hair movement (pixel art)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need some help on logic behind hair movement (pixel art)  (Read 1534 times)
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »

Whenever I need to animate hair I just do whatever, it's about time I learn the proper logics behind them :p

My current logic between the hair movement is when the character moves up the hair gets kind of pulled down, and when the character moves down the hair "floats". In my head this makes perfect sense, yet the hair looks super unnatural in the above gif.

Anyone has any tips or references?
Thanks!

midoredomi
Level 0

Uhh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 11:00:40 PM »

It looks unnatural because it's too slow compared to the actual walking/running motions.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »

It looks unnatural because it's too slow compared to the actual walking/running motions.
Whenever I try to speed it up it always ends up like weird dancing hair :/

In my head it all makes sense, hair moves outwards/up when going down, and goes down/inwards when moving up. But I'm obviously missing something here

Eggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:40:19 PM »

If you have not done the following already, maybe try reducing the maximum displacement amount (i.e. only have it move slightly and not so much within two frames in your newer GIF). Basically, from what I understand about inertia, the reason it looks like it's dancing is because it makes too much movement in just a few frames and compared to how the character moves (they move up and down a little but the hair whips about), so in essence it's defying the laws of physics. Now I can't guarantee it'll work and I sadly can't try it myself at the moment (not to mention I might have a bit of a slip up since I'm not the greatest with physics), but I think that may be worth a try Smiley
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:10:10 AM »

Think of the hair as a 3d-object. And limit the movement to swiping left and right with a slight bounce.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:03:55 PM »

Kaboom has got it right, at a 4 frame cycle you have a rise and fall every 2 frames so there's is no opportunity to utilize secondary motion and follow through. There's enough frames for a good side swing, as you can see
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic