Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:25:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSoooo...Greenlight died...good riddance or good golly, panic?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Soooo...Greenlight died...good riddance or good golly, panic?  (Read 2259 times)
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »

http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1265922321514182595

So, this happened today.

Greenlight died.

Personally I considered Greenlight a horrible purgatory of bad and pretentious titles.

Opinions?

Thoughts?

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »

What do you mean by pretentious
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »

What do you mean by pretentious

Hey there, Cap.

Here ya go:

pre•ten•tious (prĭ-tĕnˈshəs)►
adj.   Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.

In the context of game development, games which advertise or claim a level of function or quality that is found to be absent from the actual product.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »

It just seems like a wide and inaccurate net to toss on Greenlight applicants, which in my view tend towards the "RPG Maker default assets and titles like Realms of Battlelore" mode of existence.

Either way, as much as I "love steam" in the way that I "love having internet access", I hope it becomes a better platform as well as ceding market share to competitors.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »

Unfortunately Steam Direct doesn't seem like a better model. Steam would rather take people's money and let them make zilch on the store instead of doing the slightest bit of curating.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 08:32:04 PM »

Would YOOOuuu want to curate Steam Greenlight?

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:34:07 PM »

It's complex for me because while Steam represents a way for people with limited resources to get a foot in the door, it's frustrating that the best chance for success a lot of people in indie development has requires deferring to a platform that still hasn't figured out what it wants to be.

Edit:  I also think that a flat $100 "distribute game" lever might be good for some people
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »

Would YOOOuuu want to curate Steam Greenlight?

Lol not a chance. But the issue is tough for Valve. A department for curating is expensive and doesn't scale well. And democratizing it just gives us Greenlight and we all saw how well that worked.

I feel like there should be a mix of the two. User votes for games and a final approval from Valve.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 10:30:37 PM »

gaben should hire mods to make HL3!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:50:10 PM by Bad_Dude 2017 » Logged
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 11:13:27 PM »

the whole thing is obviously a scheme to make valve rich with a $100 fee while doing nothing
some people cant even afford to pay $100 to publish a pc-gaming oriented paid entertainment product, and there is no literally other way to make games other than steam pc platform.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 01:12:33 AM »

I don't get why people think "curation" would be better. With how big steam is, it would be extremely difficult to make the process transparent and nearly impossible to enforce consistent standards, unless they go back to the "good old days" of only allowing AAAs and already "acclaimed" indies in. What makes you think the curators would make better decisions than the userbase? Have fun pouring 2 years of work into a game only to be unable to make money from your work because the valve employee you got assigned to didn't like it.
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 01:55:41 AM »

i would make an argument about such wide access enables full time gamedev pursuing for people who should not.
But i wont, because im a game enthusiast who sees the nearest most obvious resolution that would fit the worldwiev of two people that form my opinion on things so steam should get moderators.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:21:43 AM by Bad_Dude 2017 » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 03:04:59 AM »

remember when the only way for indies to get on steam was IGF prizes? and remember how mostly games by people from the organizers' social circles won those prizes? good times.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 04:07:53 AM »

Hey, so I heard about this neat online marketplace called Itch.io. It should be a good place to sell your game in practice because as long as you remember to advertise your game, it doesn't matter what marketplace you sell your product through.

Seriously though, most people who want their game on Steam just want it there to get effortless advertising, not just for hosting, and so they end up 100% relying on the Steam platform for discovery. That is both lazy and incredibly irresponsible. You're making basically zero commitment towards making sure that the weeks/months/years of slaving away at your game give you something in return. My take on this is to just host your game elsewhere and then advertise your game from outside the platform.

Sure, this means you have to deal with some sort of agency for putting advertising on websites, like adsense or whatever other ad companies exist. But that's better than obscurity if you have faith that your product will sell.

Steam can eat my shorts!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 05:06:13 AM »

heres the problem: you cant really afford to not be on steam if youre trying to make a living with gamedev. itch is theoretically a great platform but it doesn't generate much revenue. there are lots of people who won't buy games unless they are on steam (i know some myself).
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 05:13:39 AM »

those people are called chinese
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 05:54:12 AM »

those people are called chinese

Less of this
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 06:02:35 AM »

i mean, itch io is basically no go for anyone who doesnt speak english and cant really spend $20 on a videogame
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 06:38:28 AM »

Hey, so I heard about this neat online marketplace called Itch.io. It should be a good place to sell your game in practice because as long as you remember to advertise your game, it doesn't matter what marketplace you sell your product through.

So: I love the support for itchio, thats awesome, keep it up.

Also, if you intend to make a living off of games, maybe take a business class or something because you have some seriously wrong ideas about how all this works.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:36 AM »

Is there any popular PC indie game released in the last 10 years that is not on steam? There's minecraft and uhhhh.....
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic