Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:17:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSoooo...Greenlight died...good riddance or good golly, panic?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Soooo...Greenlight died...good riddance or good golly, panic?  (Read 2258 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »

i mean, itch io is basically no go for anyone who doesnt speak english and cant really spend $20 on a videogame
https://itch.io/t/11917/translating-the-app-continuously
Lots of freeware and pay-what-you-want games in the service, too. I can understand how some comercial games are priced too high for certain people, but I can also understand that developers need to charge more than a couple of dollars to make a living. (or at least aid) Not something trivial to solve and certainly not itch's onus.

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »

and the vast majority of paid games on there are about $5-$10

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

Chocky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »

Is GameJolt not as respected as Itch? The comments for my games on there seem like the users are a lot younger.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 12:35:45 PM »

Is there any popular PC indie game released in the last 10 years that is not on steam? There's minecraft and uhhhh.....

There's been some reasonably big stuff that's done paid alphas/betas but no steam early access (like factorio) that eventually came around.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »

From my perspective, the initial Steam Direct setup is like not having any barriers at all (as the tiny fee is almost negligible). So I expect the incoming flood of games to increase even more. Will be interesting to see whether Valve made the right guess and can cope with it. Otherwise they will be tempted to increase the fee or adopt other measures. As of now they introduced only two points to combat "fake" games:

- the changes to the trading cards
- a new game has to be in the coming-soon-list for a couple of weeks prior to release so user reports can be used as an aid

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 05:38:22 AM »

Whatever vacuum Steam leaves with ending Greenlight another service will inevitably fill, preferably in a better way. Maybe people who would have turned to Steam would instead go to itch.io and maybe as a result of more games being advertised out of that platform it will draw consumers that way.

Or maybe Steam's new arrangement will adequately replace it.

Or maybe it all will end up a total clusterfuck.

We'll see.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 06:53:07 AM »

Maybe people who would have turned to Steam would instead go to itch.io and maybe as a result of more games being advertised out of that platform it will draw consumers that way.
Nah, Steam is still the way to go. They just need to put a bit of greed an laziness aside, they have all the means to do so.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »

I say Black Shell Media for advertising and Itch.io for sales.

Can't say it will be "better" than steam to go this route, but it'll suit me just fine.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »

I say Black Shell Media for advertising and Itch.io for sales.

Can't say it will be "better" than steam to go this route, but it'll suit me just fine.

I don't want to derail the topic, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Black Shell Media.

absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »

I can't say I have an experiential opinion of Black Shell, but the guys in charge seem pretty cool and they run a pretty insightful blog.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »

blackshellmedia has been part of those shady vote for greenlight to get a free key scheme. So advertising this company here is a bit like hypocritical with this topic.
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »

Well, you seem to have the benefit of some sort of proof or evidence of wrong doing. This is the first I and possibly others are hearing this, so please share details.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57018.msg1269310#msg1269310
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 01:17:50 PM »

Well....ya see...what happen was....

LOOK OVER THERE!

Itch.io is still pretty awesome though...

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

Haha, what a great topic. Too bad Raquel never answered. With Greenlight gone, it's going to be a lot harder to create buzz and create a community around the game. You've got coming soon which can generate some hype, and early access that usually means nothing for smaller games. Rest of the services discussed here are miniscule compared to Steam and fhe reach it provides.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 04:38:42 AM »

lmao
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »

great

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »

With Direct is easier to add a game on Steam. But more developers will share their games.

My last game:

Supporter of
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic